This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

COB Interviews

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by COBHC Webmaster, Oct 17, 2005.

1. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

2. P4T0U

P4T0U Member

3. COB-666

COB-666 Member

4. COB-666

COB-666 Member

5. P4T0U

P4T0U Member

6. CharIie

CharIie Formerly known as Joker and IDontKnowWhatToWrite

Not much interesting apart from the part where he recognizes that his current guitar skills aren't up to was they used to be. Simplying the music does make a lot of sense if he is physically unable to play as difficult stuff as before (and it would explain why it's oftentimes sloppy)

7. (__Joonas__)

I forgot whether it was his left or right shoulder that broke when he fell off the bunk in 2009? I think it was right, but that shouldn't hinder playing so much, so maybe it was left... Strange they left a broken bone unnoticed, they must've X-rayed because the rib was broken...

8. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Alexi says his hardest solos are on the old albums. There has been some debate about that but IIRC the consensus was that the hardest stuff was on the later albums?

9. P4T0U

P4T0U Member

Old albums have the hardest solos
    New albums have the hardest riffs

10. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

As a guitar player, I say that the solos on the newer albums are definitely harder to play. But I can understand people how say that they think, the older ones are harder because they are faster.

What is definitely harder are the riffs on the newer albums. RRF and HoB are definitely the most technical albums (HCDR is really close though).

11. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

Yeah, not so sure I buy the massive shoulder operation for the state of his playing, or the collarbone. When was the last time he performed well live anyway?

12. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

Tuska 2003 (probably)

13. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

No... I remember some live shows a few years ago where his playing was very good. I don't know exactly when, but it was the time when they put KTS in their setlist again.

14. Zman

Zman O.X.Y.

During the ESP clinics in France in the fall of 2017, he started by mentioning this operation (he even showed the scar on his shoulder). Then he said that he was practicing to "get back there" and that these clinics were a way to talk about how to practice efficiently. So in between the playing of COB songs he would show some exercices and play along a metronome.

I do believe his playing was altered by this operation and all his broken bones. But I doubt he is practicing that much since it has been two years now and I don't see his playing getting any better. The few videos of his recent clinics in the US demonstrate that (although it could be argued that his condition wasn't good at the time, which could explain the bad playing).

15. (__Joonas__)

^So which shoulder was it?

It's important to start practicing physiotherapy as soon as you don't feel stinging pain. Otherwise it will freeze. I've broke my other shoulder a long time ago and with constant training I was even able to do crawl swimming in a few years. Joint fractures are a bitch and will never fully heal, but with correct physical activity you lubricate them, strengthen the supportive muscles, but it's important to avoid straining the ligaments, which will rub against the bone fractures. Eventually the sharp bones will polish out, but a broken (or operated) joint is never the same, there will always be an angle of mobility you need to avoid.

16. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

One of the things about getting old that totally sucks is all these weirdest injuries you would've never even thought about in your teens. And they're here to stay, once you've fucked something up it's often permanent to some extent. I injured my back a few years ago and the fucker won't heal, it's still as if I injured it last month. Life fucking sucks, complete virtual reality life can't come soon enough.

17. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

Maybe they are easier to play in a way, but for my ears in many cases they sound better. More melody, more to remember easier to evoke.

Btw, I have never compared HCDR and HOB, but HCDR is definietly on the technical side. Chokehold Solo is one of the best "mashup" of old & new Alexi-techniques.

18. Zman

Zman O.X.Y.

Left one

19. (__Joonas__)

OK and Alexi said it affects his finger nerves. Can't be a good thing for the left hand. Also he'd need to lower the guitar to make heavy riffing painless on the upper frets, but that makes soloing harder. But depression is the worst enemy, and every injury inflicts depression.