This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

COB start writing new album

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by sleeper666, Jan 10, 2012.

1. J_H_C

J_H_C deanshredder

It's not a joke. I'm absolutely sure it's not a joke. No way. Can't be. (;

2. EvilKatarn

EvilKatarn Jaaniöö, Bodomi Öö

Well it was pretty fucking hilarious. So it must be a bad not-joke.

3. krofius

krofius Active Member

4. baldymort

baldymort Member

Cannot even comprehend how Alexi composed this at the age of 18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41o_Nb8DUzI&feature=youtu.be&t=3m38s

For me this will always be their greatest album. Nothing I have heard since sounds remotely like it and it is the one album that stands out the most in their catalogue. It just has such a mythical atmosphere.

5. ChockeHoldTerror

ChockeHoldTerror Survived Lake Bodom

a bit OT:

So amon amarth also released a new song :

#2185 ChockeHoldTerror, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  6. GuyOne

GuyOne Member

Sounds like every song Amon Amarth has recorded since WOoOS.

7. kilon

kilon I told you!

After Twilight of the Thunder God I thought, awesome, but the next album should bring something new to the table. Then Surtur Rising was released and I thought the same thing. But when I heard the new song I am still on that boat. I desperately want them to try something new but for some reason they don't bore me, even though I expected that to happen 2 albums ago.

8. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

What a shitty song by them, I fell asleep.

On topic: Sometimes bands make a "return to the roots" by returning to the old sound, because fans cry for years how they turned to shit, but usually the songwriting isn't close as epic, so it's worth nothing. I know many bands who did exactly this within the last year, and I hope Bodom manage to pull off epic songwriting as well.

9. muffinformyrat

We should listen to this radio they might be diffusing a new CoB song no ? :(

#2189 muffinformyrat, Apr 14, 2013
  10. baldymort

baldymort Member

Nice find! I've got it on incase anything Bodom related comes on haha.

11. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

Because it does for the most part. I myself like more HCD's, but the guitars were doubled there and it can be a bit too harsh. Same with FTR. HB is too thin. SW's tone is terrible, but understandable for the means and time it was recorded in. AYDY's guitars are incredibly weak, BD is muddy beyond belief. RRF has a cool guitar tone, a sort of distinguishable bass, keys back to a good level and I don't know where you get the "terrible sounding drums" part from. Out of place songs? Exactly what does that mean and what qualifies you (or me for that matter) to know where a song places? And it's not like it's straight in your face WTF kind of change between songs (besides maybe WIWI, but I don't know where that song came from).

Well the neoclassical is not coming back, and after 10 years it's kind of tiring to keep getting "neoclasicoolz" arguments when the albums they're making are distinctively different and they've stated over and over that going back's not happening. The thing most old album lovers seem to fail to realize is that every song they have put out there (again with the exception of WIWI) sounds distinctively Bodom. No neoclassical, but easily recognizable as being COB all while going other directions they like more now apparently with the music. And again, the albums they're making are not bad, not by a mile. Some songs are, but the albums in general are not (much maligned AYDY included). Their only actual crime is not being neoclassical, and as I said, it's getting pretty boring after 10 years. And no, it's not that we're after supertechnical Petrucci-like fast crazy stuff, but we do appreciate when the basis of a song is something more than powerchords and then throwing some (amazing, that I won't deny) melodies over them.

Right you are at that, and a lot has to do with the better tone TW has. As with BD, I find myself not listening to SW too much because the tone is bad. Also doesn't help that it's in C# so I never play over it, but that's more of a guitarist problem than a knock on the album itself.

12. (__Joonas__)

^I think fans are not talking in technical terms when they talk about missing the old shit. It's not neo-classical stuff they're missing or anything like this, it's just the depth, epicness and mystical feel and the malice and sexual melodicy in the music, think of SNBN. This kind of diamonds are seldom born, you throw a masterful song like this on stage and it thoroughly rapes the opposition of bands.

Tokyo Warhearts isn't the best sound for my taste, there's something that leaves the drums so naked, maybe there's too little echo on guitar or something... it's not as juicy sound world as it could be. The guitar tone isn't best possible for that style of music. Lead melody is great but riffing is like it comes and goes... my memory could be failing me, I should listen to it again... I don't think the guitar tone is perfect on the Hatebreeder album either, it could be a touch more atmospheric. But this is only sometimes, cos other times it's just perfect in its purpose...

Crank up some power and listen to the riffing from 1:53... My favourite part on the song is 2:05 - 2:06.

I'm very satisfied with the guitar tone in the black metal riff of Halo of Blood, it's atmospheric and it's what I kept hoping for.

#2192 (__Joonas__), Apr 15, 2013
  13. tonsa92

tonsa92 Member

i think SNBN is quite overrated, and also Hatebreeder and Downfall

14. (__Joonas__)

I disagree. But I never understood what's so special about the intro guitar riff/melody of Downfall. Otherwise a very interesting song. Too bad for the annoying vocals in the mid-section of Hatebreeder - that totally spoils an otherwise godly metal song, which has some of the best Bodom singing ever too.

15. Marowak

Marowak Member

How so? They're popular sure, but they're that way for a reason.

There aren't any other songs on the album like Downfall, and Silent Night Bodom Night is one of the only faster paced shred songs on the album besides Towards Dead End. And I'd hardly consider Hatebreeder to be overrated..

16. J_H_C

J_H_C deanshredder

Towards Dead End.

17. <-Warheart->

<-Warheart-> † Fuck You Very Much †

Hatebreeder? More underrated than overrated. Bloody fantastic song that doesn't get near enough mention.

18. mrKRB64

mrKRB64 Member

They really need to get rid of downfall from their set list for good. They have even said it was a bit of a strain to play all these years- why not use the last song spot to play something unexpected that they haven't played live yet/rarely play? Dunno if they think to themselves it's "tradition" to play it all the time or if they are just lazy to practice older stuff -_-

19. (__Joonas__)

I'm pretty sure Hatebreeder will be played this year... I've this feeling. The band have started realizing that shit was great. Downfall is a gem, but the band started treating it wrong so it became kinda cheesy. If it was played earlier on the setlist, with no additional "saaaaweeett" and "ye-yeaaaaaaah" gay screams and messing pop-stuff at the intro, it could make its mark. Just treat and respect the shit like real death metal and it'll make good stage material.

20. Inceptionist

Inceptionist It's Not My Funeral

I'm with Tonsa I think downfall is overrated. The intro is sick don't get me wrong but the rest is just meh, and the vocals on it just annoy me. And yeah what mrkrb64 said, even they're tired of playing it everyday. Playing Hatebreeder live would be awesome but it's been years since they played it