This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

COB start writing new album

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by sleeper666, Jan 10, 2012.

1. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

Downfall has imho one of the coolest solos, and the melody/chorus ("I see angels burning falling down in ruins...") is pretty cool. It's been played too much though.

How so? It's about the best fitting tone you could get for them, and makes the songs even better I think. Only thing is Alexander's guitar is a bit too quiet and dry, but the overall guitar tone and album sound is amazing imho.

On HOB, I love the sound of the bits we've gotten in the interviews, hearing Halo Of Blood with that tone is going to be pretty cool.

2. baldymort

baldymort Member

The main reasons why I think RRF is let down are due to how clicky the drum kicks sound and the fact that the overall sound production is inferior to albums like HB, KTS and HCDR, which is unacceptable considering they have more money and access to better equipment nowadays. i can't really prove this point but I'm just calling it as I hear it. As for out of place sounding songs, NMF, SKO and RTHAB and Ugly all have an epic atmosphere about them that none of the other songs capture. PMS and RRF almost sound goofy compared to them. Then you have WIWI, which like you said definitely sticks out.

I'm not saying I want the neoclassical elements to come back and I'm pretty sure that if they tried to replicate that sound again today it would be nowhere near as well executed as it was in SW and HB. The reason I prefer their earlier stuff is because the songs in it didn't really have a structure. I like being surprised when listening to music. Take "The Nail" for example. That song takes so many different twists and turns and keeps you eager to hear what's coming next. On the other hand, their newer albums, while I still like them, are very predictable. They usually go something like intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus. It gets boring after a while especially if the chorus or verse isn't especially outstanding.

3. Firen

Firen nothing wild

Initially my dream was to see Bed of Razors live, and now that they already played that I would LOVE to see Black Widow!!

4. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

If there is a predictable song pattern in a song that isn't very personal or epic, I have to question if it's spontaneously written from the heart, music of the soul... It's been so predictable for a while, there's the intro, verse, some pre-chorus, chorus, verse, chorus, solos, pre-chorus, chorus. This pattern works when the chorus is really good, like say LDB (apart from bad mixing), but it would be more interesting to have songs that are clearly a process of a unite song "plot", which just happens to naturally settle into a construction such as this. If a song is outstanding I don't care what the construction is, and I doubt altering the song construction intentionally would make a difference if there is no musical epicness going on anyway. Still, even when there is musical creativity going on, the exciting thing is how all the little bits of music gel and carry a cool song together.

I can't really name any song patterns I would love to hear. Can you? Yes I have many ideas, such as a long, dark, atmospheric outro to the opening track of an album, and including more solo interludes to the intros of songs (DNW), but the pattern is not what makes the difference. The details and the thorough excitement level of a song are what make the difference.

5. baldymort

baldymort Member

I've always wished that they would use an epic intro for one of their albums. Something similar to this

I know it's a cover from Miami Vice but it's still so epic and mysterious haha.

The original is awesome as well

#2205 baldymort, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  6. (__Joonas__)

I love this intro. It was originally meant to be on the album. But it would promise too much...

I liked the chill out techno intro they had later last year, too.

#2206 (__Joonas__), Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  7. MetalFromTheCrypt

I went to the Connecticut show on this tour... seriously it was like one of the best performances I've ever seen. Bodom absolutely destroyed the place.

8. happilemon

happilemon Member

Exactly. When people (Alexi included) say Bodom's song writing has improved immeasurably I just sit there wondering what the fuck they're on about while being consistently bored off my face by the material of these past few albums.
    The first few seconds of Halo of Blood give me hope they've brought back the unselfconscious cheese and energy of SW/Hatebreeder and hopefully it's integrated into the whole album but the chorus in Halo of Blood is dead and reminds me much more of RRF and BD than any of their older stuff.

That sounds great. Do we know if it's still on the album or..?

9. muffinformyrat

10. GuyOne

GuyOne Member

I think Joonas meant on RRF. That album was supposed to have an intro.

11. (__Joonas__)

I dig it, it's heavy as hell with powerful vocals from Alexi. You can do technically this kind of stuff quite similar but small differences ( = creativity) determine whether it's epic or crap. Think Black Widow verse.

12. Chamet

Chamet Keepin' it bonzer

So when's the single going to be released?

13. baldymort

baldymort Member

26th of this month apparently

14. (__Joonas__)

I kinda hope the single isn't the track we've heard samples of so far. It can't be all about one song, I hope there are many interesting songs.

15. Todex95

Todex95 New Metal Member

I'm almost sure Transference is the one we can hear in the trailers.....just like WIWI for RRF

16. (__Joonas__)

No, SKO... That's what I'm afraid of, that they only have a couple nice songs like on RRF and they only give the same samples of those songs to these trailers and ads. However, something has convinced me this time there will be more than just one and a half songs you can listen to...

17. Todex95

Todex95 New Metal Member

I hope it will be like FTR, I love the whole album (keep your criticism for yourselves, thx), it wasn't as you said, like in RRF

18. (__Joonas__)

It won't be easy... will Waste of Skin be another Follow the Reaper? Will Scream for Silence be another Children of Decadence? Transference another Everytime I Die? And so on. Every song on FTR is epic. It's unrealistic to expect something similar and as good. But if Halo of Blood has its own style, with some epicness and dark atmosphere, and is half the album FTR is, that would be beyond magnificent.

19. sleeper666

sleeper666 MetalMutha

[​IMG]

Total Guitar today:

"Our favourite Finn, Alexi Laiho stopped by this week. The Wildchild gave TG some video rundowns of riffs from the forthcoming Children Of Bodom album, Halo Of Blood. Coming soon to a digital edition of TG."

20. BazsiBazsi

BazsiBazsi Member

He looks sober, what the actual fuck!