This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Compression on Bass Drum and Snare

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by Liam Thompson, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Liam Thompson

Liam Thompson Lord of the Strings

I've heard some of you guys here saying how you and Andy mix an uncompressed signal with a heavily compressed signal when mixing triggered samples with the natural kit sounds on bass drums and snares. I was wondering if you leave the sample as is and compress the natural sound or do it the other way around. I intend to use the natural snare mixed with a Bob Clearmountain snare and possibly the picallo snare from an Alesis D4.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. alexrookie

alexrookie Member

the way andy posted, was mixing the uncompressed/low compressed snare/bd with a copy of that track really heavy compressed! that is the way i do it now and it sounds really good (more control !!!!), in my case it was a must to use exactly the same plug ins on each track (the dryone in bypass) to avoid phasing by latency! also i mix a sampled snare/bd in and all three signals end in a snare/bd bus (in my case i just used a copied track on the snare and on bd i took more samples(pantera/erskine mix), no heavy compressed copy on bd, because i can change velocity for my samples!

i hope this reply helps you!