This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Yeah, but sadly I had my first RAID0 failure over the weekend. Barf!!!

The array didn't become immediately unusable it would still boot but it hung up for a minute or so several times during the boot process. Event viewer recorded disk0 errors and the BIOS array tool said that a drive had failed. I even managed to play games for most of the weekend without too many dramas. So yesterday I backed up all my savegames and a few other bits and pieces I hadn't backed up recently and had a fiddle with the onboard array config (I wanted to see if I could remove the drive altogether and still keep the array running- didn't hold out much hope because it was drive 0 in the array)- and promptly rooted it totally. Rebuild time!

The disks I am using are Raptors circa 2003 - I bought them from a work "old hardware auction" so they are VERY likely to fail hahaha.

2. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

OK, am at my Wit's End right now over this problem. It's been going on for months and can not find any proper information to fix it.

I can't get my eeePC 1000H (XPspk3) to connect to my wireless network (through a Netgear dgn2000).

It's set to a static IP and the DNS is assigned manually as well.
    The router mode is set on Up to 270Mb/ps and WPA-PSK

It keeps saying that it connects and then goes through a process of continually disconnection and reconnecting.
    When it says that it's connected to the wireless it switches between saying it's connected my router by name and Access Point.

I can't format the system because I don't have an external DVD drive.

3. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I'm having an issue logging into our website (www.metalobsession.net) via my PC. For awhile I thought it was our servers down again, but it seems the site was quickly fixed the other day due to a small malware scare.

Since then I have tried numerous times to login to my Cpanel account, Wordpress and the actual URL to the website and nothing seems to be working. It seems to load the website on my notebook and Samsung Galaxy with ease, but whenever I try to login via my PC it continually says "Problem loading page".

I've deleted all my internet cache and temporary files, yet it still continues to not allow me to enter the site. Is there anything else I can do to resolve the problem as I suspect my internet security is not allowing me to enter the site?

4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

OK so I'm fucking getting sick of this shit and really need some help. For the third time, Metal Obsession has been spamm'd up with iframe codes being inserted, throwing virus warnings everywhere and causing google to block the site. I've re-installed everything from scratch several times, changed all of the passwords and secret keys, the whole shebang. But it's happened AGAIN. Is there some obvious weak point in our security that I could be missing?

*edit* It's a Wordpress system if that makes any difference.

5. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Could you migrate to some other less popular content management system? The popular ones will always be targets, unfortunately...

6. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Sorry for the obvious Q. You're not using MAC address filtering on your wireless router and haven't put in the eee's MAC perhaps?

One comment I read on a forum says :The Eee has been known to have problems if [your SSID] has a space in it, like "Home Wireless"

Another poster said that his system worked much better with the wired ethernet disabled (though his problem was related to trying to obtain two DHCP addresses simultaneously and since you are static mapped that's possibly not your problem, but something easy to try)

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

Firstly I'd prefer not to have to build an entirely new site from scratch, I just don't have the time, and secondly the other guys that use the site aren't overly computer literate when it comes to anything too complex. So that's not really an option.

8. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

Have you tried something like this?

I recently spent a full day securing an osCommerce installation after it was hacked 3 times, the first two times being pay per click hacks and the third being malicious.

There are always holes in these open source systems. Everyone has access to your exact version, so they can find their way in.

Might take you a while, but i haven't had a single issue since.

I've just had to set up a wordpress system for a client, so I'll be having a look at this page.

9. Shadow298

For some fucking reason my fucking external hard drives swapped their designations (the D: becoming the G:) in the middle of operations (copying stuff from a DVD to the C: drive) and don't know how to fix it on Windows7!

Need help ASAP because it's fucking up my computer!

10. Cooee

Cooee Member

1. Click Start
    2. Type 'mmc' into the box and press enter.
    3. File -> Add / Remove snap in.
    4. Highlight "Computer management" and click the "Add" button.
    5. Click "Finish" and then "Ok".

6. "Computer Management" should appear in the left hand column. Expand it.
    7. Highlight "Disk Management" (found under "Storage" if it's hidden).
    8. You drives will be listed in the middle part. You can right click on them and choose "Change Drive Letter..." to change the drive letter.

11. Shadow298

Have it fixed.
    Just lost my temper so badly that I couldn't think straight and had to restrain myself form smashing stuff. :mad:

Thanks for, Cooee. :kickass:

12. Shadow298

Just spent 40 minutes on the phone from someone saying they are from Mircosoft & that they are responding to an error report that was generated.
    After talking me through all supposed error files that were damaging my hardware, he sent me to the winsupportonline.com & asked if I could purchase a security licence so he could fix everything up.

Sound dodgy to you?
    Anyone else had this happen to them lately?

Or do they know if it is genuine and there may be a problem?

13. Cooee

Cooee Member

There have been a lot of calls going around like that lately. They are from scammers trying to trick people into installing malware or something onto their computers.

For a while I was getting about 2 calls a week like that. Once of these days I'm going to set up a virtual machine, play along with them and see what they are actually trying to do.

Eg. http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2009/01/29/new-scam-warns-of-problems/

14. Cooee

Cooee Member

15. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Far out, that's pretty brazen.

16. Shadow298

Yep, just after posted did a boot time virus scan and found some stuff.

And didn't even install the software they wanted me to, which was the reason for the extra long time on the phone I guess.

Will run more scans later and if anything appears will be formatting my comp.

So fucking pissed off for almost falling for it!

17. Cooee

Cooee Member

With any of these kind of things, if someone claims to be from an organisation ask for their details and then try to call them back through the listed phone number in the phone book (the Microsoft article even recommends it).
    It's the same concept as if you get an email that claims to be from your bank. If you doubt it call them up via their phone number in the phone book and talk to someone about it. You'll soon work out if it is legitimate or not.

But yeah, I guess you always have to be sceptical of things.

18. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

s

19. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Bloody hell, I just had an Indian guy ring me with the same thing, I knew of the scam so gave him a bit of a run around.

Dodgy third worlder!

s

20. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

Dude you do all that? you know you can just right click on My Computer and click 'Manage'