This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Cooee

Cooee Member

Yeah I know, but it was the only method I could think of that would work for anyone reading it. Not everyone will have the "Computer" or "My Computer" icon on the desktop or in the start menu.

2. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

You can also go STart -> Run and type compmgmt.msc and hit enter

:lol:

3. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Anyone here running an SSD? I just got two (one for Jess' laptop as her drive is dieing and one for my server... because I can haha) and was wondering if you bothered going through all the "tuning" procedures or just ran them "as is"?

4. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

In win7-64 I benchmarked, ran the tuning procedures and benchmarked again- no practical difference. If you're thinking in terms of TRIM, the newer SSDs (sandforce based) deal with housecleaning themselves now. My understanding was that all you need to do is leave them on and idle for a while now and then. Probably having the latest chipset drivers for your Mobo from Intel would be more than enough.

5. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Running a gskill phoenix pro with sandforce 1200 chipset. 60GB. As said above - with Sandforce, TRIM is no longer required. Most of the SSD vendor forums will have a small set of tweaks. i.e. turning of the OS' automated defrag etc.

Once thing to note....i previously hadnt turned on AHCI in my BIOS cos i had no need. Unfortunately that portion of the boot takes considerably longer, thus adding to overall boot time....that and a RAID card make for long boot times :(

6. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I've got a A-data 128GB SSD in my MacBook Pro. Been in there for a year.

It still boots in about 6 seconds. Apps take the a little less time to launch. Data transfer is faster. Battery life is still crap because my battery is like 4 years old, however it still holds about 45 minutes charge. Not bad for a 4 year old battery that's beet cycled that many times and powers a 17" LCD display.

7. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

After some advice on putting together a new PC.

The last two i've had have been from Dell and haven't skipped a beat, but it's time to upgrade.

I'm after a machine for graphic design and development work... I don't play games, download/watch/edit movies, just graphic work and web development. Business is flat out at the moment, so i need something that will rip shit through anything i throw at it.. but without all the unnecessary crap.

I really don't have the patience to do any more research than i have already done, 'cause it is effectively me chasing my own tail.

I don't need massive amounts of storage, but i need quick access etc, also, no accessories needed, i already have monitors etc.

After reading through this thread over time, i figured you guys were my best bet at getting a good response.

Two direct questions:
    1. Is there such a thing as "too much RAM"?
    2. Has anyone dealt with MSY?

Cheers.

8. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

If you're doing that kind of stuff, a beefy i7 machine with 12gig or more of RAM running Win7 x64 is the way to go. Ideally if you had the cash you'd probably want to go dual CPU if you can but you're talking mega bucks and not gaining a massive amount of performance for what you need to do with it (HD video encoding would benefit if you're doing big projects, but graphics work will be fine with a good wad of RAM).

Video card isn't crucial but I'd get something with a decent amount of power and at least a dual out that's DX11 certified. Photoshop CS5 unloads a lot of its GUI stuff onto the card's GPU now so I'd look into which cards it supports because it'll make the whole process a lot smoother. I think it's the latest nVidia cards that it supports? Not 100% sure on that - check the CS5 docs on the Adobe site to be sure.

A BD burner is probably a good idea for big stuff, gigabit LAN, etc. and if you have the budget, I'd go a SSD for the system drive just to make the thing fly, and a couple of drives for the data files and backup work. Mechanical storage is cheap as fuck now so it's worth decking it out with a couple of 2TB data drives, and having a smaller SSD system drive.

I seem to remember dealing with MSY back in the day and they were good, but it was a hell of a long time ago. I haven't heard a bad word lately about them.

9. Celestial-Todd

Two rules with MSY

1 - Avoid it on the weekend. It's usually crowded as hell (I've stood in line for over an hour before)
    2 - Have a list of what you want and possible back-ups (they commonly say they have stock when infact they don't)

10. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

Thanks for the info LT. I was still unsure of the i7/i5 choice as I've read different opinions as to which one is actually faster... but figured the 7 was better for multitasking. Also a good point on the video card, CS4 started the GUI changes and I hadn't thought about taking that into consideration.

So you're saying an SSD for the system drive and multiple HDDs for software and storage?

What HDD do you recommend? I've never understood the difference.

Also any advice on motherboards?

It's clear why I took the option of a pre-made pc in the past... I've got sweet f.a. knowledge when it comes to this.

Oh, and Todd, there's an MSY at chipping norton, and I've read reports that it usually has no lines... Hopefully that doesn't reflect on the quality of their work. Might do a drive by tomorrow and check it out.

11. Mean Bitch

Mean Bitch and her name was...

Hmm hopeing someone on here can help me with out laughing at me first!,
    I have an Iphone, which I really have no clue how to use, I just use it as a phone, sometimes for music... but Im going on holidays next week and wanted to put some movies on it to watch on the 11 flights I have :(... I just cant work out how to do it. anyone know of a site with instructions or can give them to me on here ? LOL I mean step by step :D thanks p.s. assume I know nothing about computers too hahah

12. Celestial-Todd

I was there the other day... they are SUPPOSED to be an order-only store (technically they aren't allowed to be a shopfront). Depending on who you get to serve you, they'll either put it through or not

13. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Definitely hit the 12GB RAM and grab Windows 7 64-bit (they've JUST released SP1 although it didn't need it anyway).

SSD for system, yes, for what you're doing. The price point for SSD is still VERY high. It's on the cusp of coming down so I'm hard pressed to say whether you should just get a 500 GB traditional HDD and replace with an SSD later or go with a 64 or 128 GB SSD now (the 128s are about $300 I think). SSD is the way forward here but for me the pricepoint is still too high.

If the files you're working on are large, then you may need a larger SSD.

As for which HDD - they're all pretty much the same. Basically, if you get a bad batch then you'll get a bad batch. I've had a better run with Seagate Barracudas than anything else lately. Storage drives don't have to be super fast so you can get the Seagate 2tb Greens for $130 each.

Motherboards... if you're looking higher end then I've always liked the Asus - hit any that are around the $300 mark and try to find 'revision 2' of the motherboard (i.e., not newer, first generation models). The second revisions generally have the original bugs ironed out.
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?sort=3a&products_id=42897

14. Celestial-Todd

Regarding SSD's... I'd wait a couple of months for the next gen to be released. I just bought a couple of OCZ 60gb drives and then found out that I have a "gimped" version. They've moved to a smaller chip production size but haven't changed controllers yet, so performance takes a major hit

This is already being remedied in the next batch... so just do your research first

For storage, I just bought two 2tb Samsung drives. They more then do the job required, as Robotman mentioned, storage doesn't required speed as most large drives are 5400rpm (as oppsed to 7200 for "normal" drives)

15. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Keep in mind that when doing graphics work like Photoshop, you don't really need a 3D effects video card like most gaming cards on the market.

You want the Nvidia Quadro style of video cards that are great for art on computers. Nothing bad about gaming cards, which you can still use, but you did say you were specifically building the new computer with graphics in mind.

16. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

OK guys, I need some advice and information. As you may have guessed I'm not exactly savvy with the tech side of computers and internetting. I've just been accused at work of accessing a "Proxy and Translator website designed to bypass corporate proxy system to gain access to blocked sites". To my knowledge I have never done this or even attempted it. I'm also accused of using a peer-to-peer file sharing system once, for about a minute, over a year and a half ago that I have no memory of or any inkling of even why I would do so. Any help, advice, anything would be appreciated.

Thanks.

17. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

I also have some questions for IT types about how browser time totals are worked out. Cheers for help in advance.

18. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

You could have surfed to the proxy site by accident unless there is a record of multiple uses over significant periods of time. There are two ways these things work- you could either have to replace the browser proxy server settings or alternatively some websites will do it transparently for you. They should provide you with dates, times and durations so you can refute. Can they prove it was actually you using the computer at the time? Could it be someone else using your computer when you have left or someone remoting in to your computer after hours?

Peer to peer for a minute. Who do you work for? Atilla the Hun?? Again can they prove that you were physically at the computer on that day/time or not. And for one minute? Please. Maybe it was some spyware that was later smashed by whatever corporate antivirus is being run.

Browser totals will depend on what software is doing the monitoring.

19. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Thanks Brad. The breakdown of my usage doesn't show the dates and times I was apparently using these things, it just shows up that I connected to them a total of six times. Over the course of an entire year. The browser sensitivity setting they use for their monitor counts every static visit to every website as a three minute stay, even if it was something that I closed down after a couple of seconds. Using this ridiculous method, I apparently spent 1500 hours surfing away on the net out of the just over 1700 hours I was at work. If I take meal and toilet breaks, meetings and other shit into consideration, I was on the net even longer than I was actually physically sitting at my desk or even in the office. it doesn't stack up. But please, anyone else with advice to contribute, please do so as I need a lot of help with this. Basically I am in a massive amount of shit with regards to this.