This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I recently changed my website url from anwarrizk.com/photography to anwarrizk.com/home and I seem to have destroyed my website.

In the process of changing the "Home URL", I accidentally changed the "Site URL" and now I can't seem to login to my Wordpress server and change anything. It just keeps giving me a 404 error.

Has this occurred to anyone before?

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Ah, yes. WP is all based on database entries. Unless you do it correctly you'll completely destroy everything.

We had a site based at www.lordtestserver.com before we moved it over to www.lord.net.au and man, that was a headache. I thought I'd changed everything but there was a heap of mySQL database links that needed to be changed.

What you need to do is log in to you cPanel interface on your webhost and log into the SQL Database app, and then see if you can manually go through the SQL entries and change the info over by hand. It'll take you forever but it might save you a while setting up a site from scratch. Alternatively, if you have your content backed up and know what plugins you used, etc. then it might be worth just biting the bullet and doing a fresh install of WP on the new server and setting it up again.

3. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Thanks mate. I've sent an e-mail to the web designer who originally set up my server to see If he can fix the problem. I've logged into Cpanel but cannot access mySQL database. If he can't fix it, I'll just start again.

4. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

anyone have any experience with music players other than WinAmp such as MusicBee?

Looking to see if there is anything out there similar to Winamp in terms of set up and interface.

5. Cooee

Cooee Member

I was reading LT's posts on Facebook about having to wait 17 hours for a render to complete, but I can't reply there so I figured I would here.

I wanted to ask if you have considered setting up a render farm on something like Amazon AWS / EC2? I'm guessing you'll come back with something about cost (moreso licensing than computing costs) / bandwidth limitations (from your studio to the outside world) but I'm still interested to see what you think.

6. Lord Tim

Weird you couldn't reply there!

A render farm would be awesome but there's big drawbacks that make it unworkable. Firstly, I'd need to have a Win7 based VM there with Adobe After Effects 5.5 64bit, with all of my plugins and most of them are hardware locked. Secondly, the great bulk of the plugins rely on GPU acceleration which you don't get with this sort of cloud thing - you'd need a dedicated video render farm to do that, each with its own GPU on each machine. And thirdly, the sheer size of the files that I'd need to upload to the cloud would take hours to get there, and the rendered file I'd get back would take many hours to download too. Assuming that the render itself only took an hour, I'd still be waiting longer for it on the round trip unless I had access to a 100mbit connection or something.

So yeah, good idea in theory but unless I spring for a local render farm (ie: the $100,000 I don't currently have spare) then it's a no go. :)

7. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Would it really cost $100,000 for a local render farm though? If the programs rely on GPU acceleration, you could get away with packing 4 powerful GPU's eacu into two or three pc's and just running them as your farm. It'd still cost a bit but nowhere near that amount

Unless of course you required 100 pc's for the farm ;)

8. Cooee

Cooee Member

From doing a bit of research online, the older versions of After Effects required that you have 1 licensed version of After Effects on the network. Provided you had that, you could run as many render nodes as you wished. CS5.5 apparently has a 3rd party component that they need to pay royalties on, so they need to license each copy of after effects (I think I read that you could perhaps run 2 instances per license). They are trying to find a workable solution.
    http://blogs.adobe.com/sforde/tag/render-engine/

The plugin writers might allow for rendering instances. I don't know what plugins you use, so I just did a generic search on Google. I found this, which with any luck the other plugin creators might have similar policies: "•UPDATE: I called Red Giant, and they said that each license comes with the ability to get a 5 license pack for render nodes (same goes for Magic Bullet Suite). Just give them a call and they will provide." (Since I'm quoting someone, here is the source: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1003476)

Amazon have GPU instances which are currently at $2.60 per hour (Windows Server 2003/2008 R2), probably less for spot (your instance gets taken offline if demand increases too much) instances.

Network will be the real problem though (until the NBN at least). Something like RSync might alleviate it, but it will still be an issue.

I thought it might be an economical option and save you a bit of time, so figured it was worth looking into. :) CT makes a good point too.

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

We just built a Z77 box with 64Gb RAM and 4 x 600Gb Velociraptors for $4,100 incl a GTX580. That should give you some ballpark. You'd probably want to change the motherboard for something that does Quad-GPU better (there is an MSI board out recently but I am not a MSI fan) but the price won't change that much, aside from the extra 580s (or name your graphics card poison). We are very careful about price/performance on these systems, hence the spinning disks rather than SSDs. The disks are just striped since we need speed not redundancy- anyhow VRs have 5 year warranty, we have had about 40 of them inhouse and not one has failed in the past three years.

10. Lord Tim

$100,000 was probably a touuuuuch exaggeration there! :p

But yeah, as much as the GPU is important and packing in a few good ones into each box would help, it's also CPU as well. I'd say 5 boxes like the one I have here (~$5000) would do the job very nicely.

Interesting stuff though, it might be worth looking into once super speed connections start to become realistic. As it is, I'd be sending over about 8 gigs of data per scene for the render and getting about 1.5 back. Not something that's particularly quick on my shitty 4mbps "oh it's down again" connection...!

11. Celestial-Todd

You could always do it incrementally to save on cost. Build one box, split the work between your two machines. In time, build a second box (when hardware costs come down) and split the work across the three and so on

If you pick top shelf products now, by the time you have a full farm going, they'd be alot cheaper per machine

I did this for a guy who does alot of computational work and was stuck on a shitty ADSL connection. Over the course of two years, he duplicated the same box 4 times and completely removed his need for offline render farms (the majority of his time was uploading and downloading data)

12. Celestial-Todd

Another crazy idea when the NBN comes in... crowd-source the work. ie, ask fans to throw open their pc's power (similar to Folding @ Home). Not sure how that would work with the programs you use, but would be a neat way of getting the work done without having to pay for it yourself ;)

13. Cooee

Cooee Member

It is because I'm subscribed to your feed - not friended. I recall (perhaps incorrectly) reading a passage on your about page a few years ago that you really only wanted it for family and close friends, so left it alone. I revisited the page a couple of months ago and saw the new Subscribe option, so went with that. :)

14. Lord Tim

Ah, it's all good - family and close friends but I'll accept anyone, so long as they don't spam me with invites to their shit metal "fests" or try and plug their bands, etc. Everyone here is more than welcome to be on my friends list. :)

15. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Don't assume you can hide behind TOR...

-slashdot

16. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

^ Wow! Admittedly i've always thought using an anonymity service would draw unwanted attention.

17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Master Exploder

Hello people. I has a networking issue.

For some reason, my netbook will not work with my home internet. It will connect through WiFi and will connect when plugged in with a LAN cable, but it simply will not recieve any data once connected. All other devices in my house work fine, and this netbook even works fine when I take it elsewhere, I just can't understand it. Also, when I turn the security settings off on my modem and run my network without any passwords, it will connect and work. So there is clearly something fishy going on, but I can't figure out what. I have just got off the phone with Club Telco (my net provider) support, and they couldn't figure it out either.

Any ideas?

18. Lord Tim

Are you or have you run any kind of firewall, including one that might be built into your antivirus (like Norton or McAfee or any other spawn of Satan's filthy bowels that have no place being on any computer ever)?

Yep, they even mention that on the TOR site and give you a form letter you can quote to your ISP if they ever ask why you're being so private. All well and good, but if you're doing something THAT illegal and you're also not actively covering your tracks, and encrypting the exit node to your machine, one subpoena later and the feds are sitting at your ISP monitoring everything coming out of your cleverly encrypted network that you think is so safe and building a pretty watertight case against you. Fair enough that you usually won't find you ISP actively watching your data packets and the authorities do need to jump through a few hoops to get the rights to snoop on someone like that, but there's still PLENTY of ways to leave breadcrumbs all over the net if you're careless, no matter how secure the network. You only need to slip up once and you're more or less fucked.

19. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Master Exploder

No antivirus on there, and have tried turning the windows firewall on and off. It does seem like that kind of issue though.

Currently running XP, which I reinstalled to have a clean netbook, and yeah, new connection at home at the same time and haven't had it working. :(

20. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

That's the whole point right there.

Blitzkrieg - if you said it works when you turn off the security features on your modem, then the issue must be that your modem
    s security features are preventing your access. What kind of security features are we talking here? MAC filtering??? Is it a modem/router? If so - do you even get an IP? Can you see other devices on your internal network?

EDIT: My prob. Moved to Windows 8 a few days ago. I can get sound in any app except flash videos. Not browser specific. So...youtube vids play fine in Chrome but there's no sound. Anyone experienced something like this maybe in Win7?

EDIT 2.0: Fixed it. For some reason my UX2 was being used as a speaker only for flash vids...wth lol.