This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Master Exploder

Yeah it is a d-link modem router, and yeah that is likely the problem. Beyond that, I am a bit of a networking noob so don't really know about the rest! I don't think I can access the other devices though.

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I'd be thinking mac address filtering myself.

3. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

re: TOR, in this particular case- the fact that you need to a) take delivery of a physical product and b) need to pay for it somehow (even bitcoin) suggests that you are open to a sting. Since I didn't actually read TFA, rather than trying to hack TOR, were I the law I'd simply pose as a customer and lean hard on the courier. Still as others have noticed. Simply using such a service as TOR puts you under suspicion and you only have to slip up once.

4. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

It's part of the reason so many people where up in arms about the proposed internet filter here. Sure it's easy as hell to set up a vpn connection or a "secure" connection like TOR, but by doing so made you an instant target. Afterall, "what have you got to hide"

5. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

I mean, yeah - why put locks on your door and passwords on your e-mail accounts? If you need to protect yourself like that you're clearly up to no good.

6. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

why when i right click anything on my desktop does windows installer start??

7. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

My knee-jerk reaction is malware/virus. However it is entirely possible someone recently started installing a theme or other software of the type and part of the installer requires elevated privileges....if you cant work your way around Windows Event Viewer you might be able to get an idea of exactly what it is. Installer events are logged by default.

8. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

So I'm trying to set up my Windows 2000 Server (its an Active Directory domain controller) to allow someone to use Terminal Services/Remote Desktop to connect to a user-level account. For some reason I can remote in fine with admin accounts but as soon as I try with a user account it doesn't work. No other servers on the (quite simple) network. I've had a good trawl through all the MSCs etc I can find but can't get it working. Anyone got any ideas?

9. sadisticsatyr

2000....it's been a while. Isnt there a local group called "Remote Desktop Users" or similar? I'd probably make a domain security group a member and place your user in that.

10. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Woah, my advice: virtualise it.

11. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Kindle (or ereader):
    Who owns one? Which version? Would you go back to paperbacks?
    Any one own a Kindle 4?

I'm close just to buying a Kindle 4 Touch (partly as I'm heading overseas in a couple of months and wish to make reading on the trip much easier).

12. Cooee

Cooee Member

I bought a Kindle 3 for my mum. It came in handy for her when she was travelling overseas. The battery on the Kindle 3 lasts forever (Wifi turned off).
    The web browser it comes with is a bit dodgy, but we never use it for that purpose so it's not an issue.
    I just asked her and she said she reads paperbacks vs. the kindle equally. She has no real preference for one or the other.

13. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

I was given a Sony ereader pocket version last year and it is awesome.
    Very basic, not for everyone but still cool.

If you're travelling and not wanting to spend heaps on books or deal with internet stuff like 3G connections and wifi and all that, go for something basic and underfriendly.
    But also look for stuff that doesn't have content and user restrictions -so you can put your own .epud and pdf files on it.

Also look up the program Calibre. Which allows you to convert files to .epud and such. Really handy if you have .pdf stuff on your comp already and want to convert to something more ebook friendly.

Kindles are good and the market leader -to the point that Android tablets come with Kindle apps- but if you don't want to be a slave to Amazon and such, check out the Sony ereader and google reviews for other devices or to find which flavour of Kindle is best for you.

14. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I have had two sony ereader pockets. The latest one feels cheaper being plastic but it performs much much better than the old version. I keep away from Kindle and its ilk so that I am not tied to their stupidly overpriced marketplace and I can get books from places such as Diesel Ebooks. I read 2-3 hours a day and have to charge the thing up every couple of weeks. I just got sick of lugging thousands of paper books from house to house to house or finishing a book half way through a train trip etc. All I use mine for is reading novels, though you can also download lots of newspapers etc. to it I'm not sure how well the tools work for that- do yourself a favour and get the FREE software Calibre. It manages your ebook library, allows translation between various formats and in particular has plug-ins for translating online newspapers and magazines into an ebook readable format. It's simply awesome.

15. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

I've already been made aware of the Calibre (thanks for the reminder).

If I have books that I've bought on paperback (I'm a rabid book purchaser - bookdepository.co.uk), can I get epub versions that I've obtained from 'other' sources and put them on there without any problems?

16. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

I'm looking at a couple of monitors for work (dual setup). They're Samsung's but I'm wondering about the horizontal viewing angles.

One of the monitors says it's 178 (fine, that's what my current work one is).
    The other choice says R/L: 85' / 85'

What's the difference between the two? Is the R/L cumulative to 170 or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

17. sadisticsatyr

I'd say definitely cumulative. You face them at a 90 degree angle...so....5 degrees each side would be hilariously unusable.

18. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

We use dual 19 inch 4:3's (Mostly ancient Samsung Syncmaster 193T - supposedly 170deg viewing angle), dual 24 wides (viewsonic VX2433wm also 170deg) and dual 30" Dell Ultrasharp monitors (also widescreen). The Dell ultrasharps just say "designed for extreme viewing angles".

Most of our people put the large screens at a shallow angle of 20-40degrees so that when they turn their heads the screen is nearer to face on to them. When you're sitting 40cm from a 30inch screen you almost can't focus comfortably on the whole thing without moving your head. Two of them? No chance!

All the smaller screens are definitely not angled- even the wide 24s. Seems that 170deg is pretty standard for LCD panels. We certainly weren't planning to dual screen those 24s but somehow it happened anyway!

19. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Anybody ever used Ethernet over Power before? I've moved the home office into the garage and my fileserver doesn't have a wireless card. I've looked at going wireless but since the file server will always be on and will be serving media to the rest of the house, I'd rather have it cabled up. I've got two options

- run cat6 cable through the house (pain in the arse to do)
    - use EoP instead

Curious to see what sort of speed / stability people actually get with it

20. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I'm currently in the midst of moving to the city to Brunswick East. I'll be sharing a Warehouse loft with a fashion designer and a publicist, yet there is room for 2 more people to move in. I'm the only one who plays online gaming and uploads large format images with the exception of the fashion designer.

Its obvious we aren't all going to be using it at the same time, but with roughly 4 - 6 people sharing, the downloads and uploads will all add up.

Is it worthwhile getting naked ADSL or should I just stick to ADSL2+?