This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Well, Naked ADSL is the same as ADSL but just without the phone service attached. Some plans actually work out cheaper with bundled phones (in fact Exetel dropped their naked plans because it just wasn't competitive as their bundle plan... not that I use the phone service anyway).

A good ADSL2+ service is all you need, especially if you're close to an exchange. That said, if you find a Naked one that gives you more for the same price and no one needs a phone connected, go for it!

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

One thing to watch is that your source and destination have to be on the same circuit. There is generally more than one circuit in the house and POE won't work across different ones. Easy way to test is switch breakers one at a time until the source (powerpoint near your current internet) goes down and then plug something in to where you want your destination. If it also has no power then the two are on the same circuit and POE can work.

I can't attest to what the performance is like. Back when I last looked at it I think you were only getting 100Mb/s max. I'm guessing there are many factors which could result in interference.

3. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

VOIP is good if you're going to be running small businesses- free local and national calls at the expense of no calls during power outages... you could always run your internet on a cheap UPS too.

I have iinet naked DSL at home and run VOIP over it. The naked part pays entirely for the VOIP costs.

4. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Hey guys, thanks for the responses in regards to monitors. The definite answer is that the viewing angle is cumulative (so R/L 85/85 is the same as 170). Which is what I thought originally - but had it confirmed.

Now I need/want a tablet before heading overseas on July 2nd but looks like the TF700T (Asus) won't be out - so I may have to default to the new TF300T.

I've been researching for ages and was hoping the 700 would be out. If anybody has any definitive recommendations then I'd love to hear it. Didn't really want to lug a 2kg+ notebook over to Europe with me for 7 weeks especially as I'm on the move a lot. That said, bargains can always persuade me :p

5. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I used to have Naked DSL through iiNet and it was great. I plugged a normal phone into my router and got free national calls that way. I'd get it again in a flash if I could, but unfortunately I can't get it where I am now thanks to Australia's shit old infrastructure.

6. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I'm a speed demon. Depending on your budget, consider an ultraportable Lenovo X series laptop. I have an X220 which sports a great processor, SSD and 8Gb of RAM. Weight is 1.5kgs. You can get a great machine direct from Lenovo due to EOFY sales right now (warning it might take a month to reach you) here is one I spec'd up:

Total: AU$1,219.00 inc. GST*
    Ships within 6 days
    Plus up to 5 days for delivery. More info

System components
    Intel Core i5-2520M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50GHz)
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
    12.5" HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor graphics with dynamic frequency
    6 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
    128GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA
    6 Cell Battery
    Country Pack Australia/New Zealand with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
    ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n
    Mobile Broadband ready (no mobile broadband module)

If you have more $, but a longer warranty (3yr) or more CPU.

Alternatively, you can try www.graysonline.com - I just bought an X1 for my mum with 12 months warranty from here- current retail is $1250 and I got mine for $750.

7. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Thanks for the help regarding internet connections. We have decided to go with Naked ADSL+2 with iiNet. We're getting 100GB of quota, plus VOIP. It will work out to be $14 a month for 5 people.

8. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

What's the approximate battery life on these?

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Depends on what you are doing. Just web surfing or office docs etc roughly 5 hours. If you put the machine into low power mode and drop the screen brightness (can only really do if the area you are in is fairly dark) you can get 7 hours of office/internet. If you're playing 3D games 2-3hrs or watching full screen movies 3-4hrs.

Just watch the X1- it has a non removeable battery whereas the x220 is the normal clip in or out battery. I don't say non replaceable because you probably can- it's just a bit harder. Like all of these things, you can get a battery with more cells (at the cost of more weight) for 20-30% more runtime.

I've been running Ibm/Lenovo for over 10 years and I've never had a serious issue with them. I thought IBM selling the Thinkpad series to the Chinese (Lenovo) might make quality drop but I've yet to see any evidence of that.

10. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Those x220's are the best Lenovo's i've ever fondled. Only thing i didnt like was the curved over touchpad. Depends on your laptop use habits i guess. Recently helped a customer refresh their fleet of 700-odd with these. Was hoping they'd let me "borrow" one...oh well :(

Edit: Also - not sure how common-knowledge this is....Dell's DFO: www.dell.com.au/dfo

11. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

12. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Mate, first recommendation: Don't buy anything from DSE or any other franchise based electronics store- they are overpriced. Go to an asian computer building shop like Beecom, MSY computers, Netplus etc.

If it did come down to a choice between the two, the mac has an i5 series processor which is a lot better than the i3 in the PC- hence the price difference over and above the usual "Apple" mark-up.
    FYI, an i3 is a dual-core processor with hyperthreading, an i5 is normally a quad-core processor which might have hyperthreading depending on its series. Hyperthreading isn't really all that great so more cores=betterer. That said, for $1,500 I could get a PC with an i7 processor, 16Gb RAM and a solid state HDD. Just not from DSE :)

13. Cooee

Cooee Member

How do you know about Beecom? They are about a 10 minute walk from my house, but I didn't realise they were that well known. I usually drive to MSY or more so PCDIY these days, because I hate the lines at MSY and PCDIY are just a couple dollars extra and across the road.

14. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Are Beecom still across the road from Merrylands Oval? I bought all the components from them for my first "custom built" pc.... then found out about MSY / Fluidtek / IT Estate et all and realised I'd paid about $100 more all up. Ah well, it compensated my time by only having to drive 2 minutes to get home :)

15. Cooee

Cooee Member

Yep.

Same experience. I used to go there and to the computer shop next to the old Merrylands library until a friend told me about MSY. I thought Beecom must have been ripping me off all that time, but later found out that MSY were grey importers.

I'm still interested to know how bsercombe knows about Beecom though. I'm guessing they now grey import to compete, or bsercombe was a local at some point.

16. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Used to live in the block of flats across from the 7-11 on merrylands rd. Then bought a house in greystanes in 2001 and lived there until 2004 when I moved to Singapore. Lived in Ashfield from 1995-1998 or so...

Yes, before all the grey importers, Beecom was good value.

There are almost never lines at MSY in Perth. They have also given us very good warranty service IMHO. I've probably bought 20k worth of gear from them in the past 2 years.

17. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

From what I've heard about the other stores, it seems like only the Sydney MSY stores have line issues... most others are larger or better laid out

18. Cooee

Cooee Member

That rings a bell - I must have asked you before. I live a couple hundred metres south of there.

19. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

So I guess that means we were within ...

oh dear!

20. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society