This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

The Quatro is very nice but WAY expensive and you'd get about the same performance with any CUDA enabled card, like a GTX980 for example. Bear in mind that different software works better or worse with some cards and even driver versions, so that definitely comes into play.

I run Sony Vegas for my video work and it is picky as fuck about this kind of thing! Other things like Premiere or After Effects are a lot more forgiving (and to be fair, Vegas is being phased out in favour of Sony's new Catalyst suite, so they know it's got baked in issues not worth fixing. I'll be jumping ship when Catalyst is on par with the feature set of Vegas).

As far as motherboard goes, really any solid brand made in the last year or so will do just fine. Load up your RAM though, and make it as fast as you can get it (that'll determine what board you get - some boards don't support really fast RAM). I doubt you'd need more than 32 gig of RAM. I'm running 24 just fine. CPU wise, you'll want an i7 because of the hyperthreading. For gaming, an i5 is actually better but video editing does a lot of parallel processing and benefits from the extra threads. Anything from the last year or so will be fine. I'd personally avoid the newest generation chips for a little while, until they're a bit more baked in. That's not to say you won't get a stable machine at all, but when a lot of the new chipsets are running new specs of USB3 and Thunderbolt, etc., there's always a potential for trouble if the drivers aren't mature enough yet, which will be exposed once you really slam them with demanding software, like video editing stuff.

Do NOT skimp on a PSU! Aside from RAM being dodgy, this is the fastest way to make a system unstable as fuck. Get a Gold rated one, and you'd be looking at 1000w minimum so you can power the video card and the silly amount of power a good CPU eats these days. Nice quiet case fans are a must, and you'd want several hard drives.

The price of SSDs have come down a fair bit now, and I'd go for a Samsung Evo 850 for the system drive. I'd have a dedicated video files drive since it's not sharing bandwidth with the system drive. With that, a SSD will give you great performance but even HD video will chew through space pretty fast, let alone 4K, so you really need to weigh up how you want to do stuff. If you're just doing HD, a good quality mechanical drive will go pretty well. 4K is a different story - you'd be looking at a RAID array to get the most out of that, or a couple of SSDs chained together for space. I'd also recommend a good backup / rendering drive too, which is fine to be mechanical rather than SSD since you'd need more space rather than speed for that.

Now bear in mind that what I mentioned there will easily hit $5000 or more, so you'd need to prioritise.

A last generation i7 will be fine, 24 - 32 gig of RAM will be more than enough (even 16 if you want to push it), a good PSU, you can get away with less than the 980 for the video card for most programs (I'm still running a 580 and it's doing just fine so anything more than that will work great, so long as it has a good amount of video RAM on board). A SSD for the boot drive is a great idea, and then you just need to decide how much to drop on the video files drive(s). As I said, if it's just HD, save money and get a speedy HDD rather than SSD or RAID array.

Sorry for not going into specifics but every bit of software works a bit differently and tech is changing REALLY fast so you may find that any advice I give will already be out of date once you go looking.

Hope that helps your friend out a bit! :)

BurningCreation likes this.
  2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Three thumbs up for samsung EVO and EVO Pro. Also stick with Western Digital for spinning drives- Seagate has a higher failure rate, particularly on their green drives which are typically used for bulk storage.

Lord Tim likes this.
  3. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

One of my external hard drives become corrupted -or the part that lets the computer open the EHD became corrupted- so am looking for software to help me get things back.

I used Wondershare Data recovery & that got basically everything back but didn't restore the file names or folders -just gave them generic names. I don't really want to rename close to 2 TB of assorted files, so can anyone recommend software that restores file name & folders?

Thanks in advance.

4. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I'm struggling a bit with your description of what happened... did you remove the drive from the housing and then connect it directly to your computer with a SATA connector and that's how you were able to use wondershare to recover your files?

5. Lord Tim

6. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Nope. You just run it all connected to your computer as is. Don't have to dismantle anything.
    The corruption is in the data that allows Windows to recognise that the hard drive is working. As programs -like anti-virus & streaming stuff- can read the data but Windows doesn't.

Did chkdsk scans but with no luck.

7. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Just out of interest, has anyone here mucked around with a Raspberry Pi or similar?

8. Cooee

Cooee Member

I have the RPiB and RPi2B. I probably won't get the 3 because I didn't really use the 2.
    Mucked around in what way?

9. Winmar

As in got one and tried to do something with it. I keep reading about how good they are, but less detail on practical applications.

10. Cooee

Cooee Member

The stuff I have done with mine is pretty mundane. I've used it as a SSH / VPN server into my home network while I was on holidays, set one up with a camera to watch the cat coming and going while we were away and make sure she was eating. Next I turned it into a media centre (OpenElec, XBMC/KODI) which the RPi1 sometimes struggled with.

I started building an alarm to monitor the house when I last went to Japan, but I didn't finish it in time. I bought the break out kit and a couple motion sensors, but then I got scared that I would fry the GPIO pins with an unexpected voltage or something. I didn't want to burn down the house with a short while I was overseas.

These days I dream about turning it into a car computer (GPS / location tracking) or (here comes the real nerd in me) building a 737 Flight Computer simulator if I can ever find an LCD screen in the right dimensions.

11. Winmar

Lately I've been having trouble starting my PC. I have Windows 10 running from an SSD and every time I boot now I get this message:

Please enter Setup to recover BIOS setting
    CMOS Date/Time Not Set

Then I correct the time as instructed, and while I'm there I look at the boot menu, because I've also had messages about there being not hard drive to boot from. The SSD is not listed in the boot menu, but it is in the list of Hard Disk Drives. I select it and make it the primary one and it boots ok from there.

So I can get in ok at the moment after doing the above, but any ideas why it's reverting to that state in the first place?

12. Lord Tim

Your CMOS battery in your motherboard is failing. Easy enough to replace - just pop out the old one and put in a new one. $5 or so, tops? :)

Winmar likes this.
  13. Winmar

Ah brilliant, thanks for that!

14. Winmar

I had a spare one sitting around and swapped it over, and now it's working a treat. It's saving a lot of frustration! Thanks again.

15. Winmar

Has anyone built a media player using Raspberry Pi or similar? I'm currently o/s and play videos on the tv by connecting it to my laptop by HDMI. I'd rather not have the viewing tied to my laptop though, so am looking at something that plays from a USB connected device (USB key or portable hard drive), outputs via HDMI, has a remote and is fairly small. Any thoughts?

16. Lord Tim

I'm currently using a Gigabyte Brix as a media player - it's about the size of a Discman (who remembers those? Fess up, you old cunts!) and has HDMI, Optical out, runs a SSD, etc. I'm running Windows 10 on it so it's really a full computer, with a wireless mini-keyboard + track pad, hooked into my TV. I even have a USB DVD/BD drive hooked into it so I can play discs too, and all of my music and video library is stored on a NAS connected straight to our router, so any computer can access it, as well as the media player. Very good setup! Only 1080p for this setup though, which is fine since our TV is just a HD one, but once we upgrade to 4K, I'll need to look at a beefier version of this setup.

That said, it's already a lot more expensive than a Pi, and there's lots of good guides out there for getting a media center set up with Kodi on it. :)

17. Winmar

I had a Discman or something similar! It also played VCDs, so was kinda snazzy. Thanks for your response to my question. Gigabyte Brix looks good, and there are some more barebones ones that don't cost too much, going on a brief search I made. There are lots of options anyway! People on eBay sell packages they've set up already. I'd kinda like to put one together myself, but may take the easy option if I'm short on time. Thanks for the guide link too. Bookmarked!

18. Cooee

Cooee Member

I had the original Raspberry Pi running Openelec (XBMC/Kodi) and it was okay, but would start to suffer with HD videos. I eventually upgraded my setup to an Intel NUC running the same software, mostly because I wanted to record free-to-air TV as well, which required more processing power.

I bought a RPi2 with the intention of trialing it as a media server, but never ended up getting around to it. The second generation was meant to have much better support for HD video playback, as so many people were using them as a media centre, if I recall correctly.

If you are only trying to stream (i.e. Netflix, Youtube) from online providers a Google Chromecast might be worth considering. You can't plug a USB device into it and playback off it. It is very small and fairly inexpensive. You control it via your phone / PC. You can also cast your phones screen to the TV if that helps, or Chrome on your PC can stream too I believe (I have not tried it myself). Caveat: You need to be on a wifi network to set it up. Tethering to your phone isn't sufficient. I know you mentioned playback off USB so this probably isn't really an option for you.

#2798 Cooee, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  19. Winmar

A Chromecast would be good at home, where I've got cable internet (though I'm quite well set up with my NAS and smart TV anyway), but what I need a device for more is when I'm over here in East Timor. Unfortunately the internet is shit, so I'd be reliant on the NAS or hard drive.

20. Winmar

My computer usually fails to detect my Seagate external drive, which is really annoying, as it's where I keep all my photos. Any suggestions on what to try?