This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

5.5Mb isn't bad. You're not taking into account the line length from the exchange to the outside of the building. You're also not taking into account the quality of the line and the length from the box out side of your place, into your place. This could in total add a further 500m of length.

Also, you might live a certain distance from the exchange, but the line might go the long way around to your house.

The other thing is, there are always loses and overheads. So, 5.5Mb being so close to 6 is pretty accurate if you ask me.

I have a mate who lives connected to the same exchange I'm connected to. He lives 4.5kms away, and gets about 4MB/s. I am 2km away and get 12-13.

Still, it beats 1.5MB/s no matter how you look at it.

pipsqeek

2. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I think the problem is how ADSL2+ is advertised... people bitch non-stop because of their "shit" speeds even though they're getting between 4 and 10mpbs. I've noticed some ISP's are now saying that you can get UP TO 24mpbs. I think they've been burnt too many times by complaining users who didn't read the fine print

3. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

What ISP are you with LT?

Im sure you've already tested you're connects and whatnot, but I use this site to determine my real bandwidth speed of my ASDL connection.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/Bandwidth.asp

I thought I was running pretty slow, but all the test show I'm running a decent speed of 536 kilobits per second and the image it downloaded for the test was, 799 kilobytes downloaded in 11.922 seconds.. Im hoping to get ADSL2+ so me an my older brother can split the connection from my room to his room which is out in the garage. Would you guy reckon it will be easier to run cables through the roof to his room, or buy a powerful wireless router?

4. Rick

Rick Senior User

I have a 100m of cable running to the house. It will be cheaper to spend 60$ on Cat5 then buy the quality of wireless router you would need.

5. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

I'm on Westnet.

Really, I'm not that upset by the speeds, especially considering the distance from the exchange we are (and other circumstances), but just a little sad that it wasn't quite what I was initially expecting based on what we were getting before when we lived in town.

It's still definitely heaps faster than 1.5 that's for sure! :)

6. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Haha! Yeah 1.5 seems like dial up to me after using a 2.5 connection.

Cheers RickIth, i'll get some Cat5 once my brother gets his new PC.

7. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

I agree with Todd, the way ADSL2+ is advertised is completely misleading. People are downloading at 2MBps and complaining that its nowhere near 24MBps

I get up to 3MBps and am very happy, but its rare that i find a server that can serve those speeds to me.

8. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

EDIT: THIS IS TURNER LOL

hey guys
    i have a problem - my computer is completely DEAD!!

I installed windows' wonderful latest update yesterday afternoon, and it wouldn't restart! kept telling me a vital program in the /system32 directory had been corrupted. my only option was to try and fix the problem with the boot disc - of course this didn't work; my only option was to format the HDD and start from scratch (which I don't mind doing, but had to shove the HDD in andy's comp first and burn a blank disc or 2 - I'm a big Dani Woodward fan haha)

So I burnt whatever I needed to and tried to format the disc and start again, but the fucking thing dies at about 25% every time!! It's really pissing me off! I've taken the drive back out and formatted it completely on Andy's comp, but for some reason even with a completely formatted/fdisked drive the windows install boot disc can't get past 25% or so. I've checked everything obvious (scratches on the CD, etc) and there seems to be no reason it doesn't work.

Now I figured I was kinda onto things with the whole interweb screen, compfibrillators and so on, but this has me completely stumped! anyone have any ideas on what I could do? I'm thinking perhaps try and install Windows onto my HD from Andy's comp, but that has every chance of seriously fucking with his "windows codename longhorn", whatever the hell that is haha.

so yeah....anyone feeling like handing out some free advice? haha :D

9. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

LOL, just remember to log into your username when you use Andy's PC haha. Things could get confusing!

10. Aussie_Metalchild

haha yeah I can't remember my password either. Good ol' firefox saved me with that one and the "auto-login" option. oops. haha

11. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Turner, I presume? ;)

12. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

So long as you unplug Andys HDD while you install windows on your HDD using his machine there should be no issue with his licenses or his windows installation. That's a reasonable thing to try.

Where it has a good chance of falling down is when you plug your HDD back into your computer- at best you'll get a lot of "found new hardware" messages you'll have to work your way through. At worst you might not get a picture on the screen due to wrong graphics card driver or it will just lock up altogether.

Edit: if you're using a genuine license of WinDoze don't activate it or anything until the disk is back in your computer. Furthermore, if you're using OEM supplied install disks they may refuse to install in Andys computer.

13. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Ok, rather than an edit which may be missed if you've already read my last tome, and serious apologies if I'm being condesending but I don't know your tech level. When you formatted the disk did you quick format or full format?

If there is a surface error on the disk which resulted in the original corrupt file stopping your computer from booting in the first place, only doing a quick format on the disk won't mark that cluster as bad, so when you reinstall the installation prog keeps trying to write data to a bad cluster on your disk causing it to fail.... a symptom of this would be if your installation fails at around the same 25% mark while you're trying to do it in Andys computer.

So before you install, make sure you do a full format which should take longer than 30 seconds..... a lot longer ;)

Try and time it so you're around to watch when the format ends- often a table is shown which will tell you how many clusters were marked bad. If the disk is less than 12 months old you should be able to get a new one under warranty if there are bad clusters. It's often quite a bugger to be without a computer while waiting for a replacement disk though :(

14. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Anyone got an old Pentium 4 processor they no longer need? Preferably socket 775

15. Aussie_Metalchild

cheers man, yeah I did the full format. didn't take any notice of whether it had bad clusters though. what's weird though, is it's not just on 25% it'll die...so far it's died at 3%, 18%, 23, 25, 26, 27, etc. sometimes it'll even go from 17 or whatever straight to the "format complete" screen - which of course it's not, and when I restart it gives me an even different error message.
    Do you think it's my HDD, or motherboard, CD-ROM, or something else? Keeping in mind my HDD seems to also be making a "whirring" noise lately when I first start the computer up, which I presumed was due to the colder weather but hey....

16. Aussie_Metalchild

also yeah I don't think installing from Andy's comp is an option - I have a genuine copy which I activated on my computer a long time ago...

17. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

I'm betting RAM, by the sounds of it.

HDD whirring can mean 1 of 2 things:
    1) the ball bearings on the platter are starting to make noise. This is relatively a non-issue, as it takes a LOT longer after they start making noise, before they fail. (I can quote the paragraph from my engineering textbook that says this, if you'd like)

2) the HDD is about to embed the head into the platter. This is about as far from a good things as you can be, because as soon as that happens you got roughly a 0% chance of getting your data back or keeping that drive unless you're possessed by angels at the time.

So yeh, I'm expecting that the RAM is dying if your install randomly fucks up at different places (though it may be caused by the HDD, it's more liekly RAM), and that your HDD is quite possibly soon to die.

Get memtest, burn that to CD, and give it a whirl to see what it says about your RAM. If it gives it the all clear (leave it run for a while) then hopefully it'll not be your RAM but something else.

18. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Yep- could be. Another option is if you've got two ram chips, pull one and try it- if it still screws up, pull the other one and try it.... usually they don't both go at the same time (and if they do it's often because something else has fried them). As Nam Taf says, memtest will tell you for sure if they're both good or bad though.

You can most certainly install using Andys comp- you might have to ring microsoft when you go to activate is all. I've supplied the australian freecall number for that earlier in this thread... If that still worries you, borrow his CD-ROM drive- that will eliminate the CD as a potential source of the problem.

When your system locks up, do you hear a sound from your HDD like click-click (pause) click-click (pause). You can usually tell a HDD failure by the sound it makes.

19. Aussie_Metalchild

Hey thanks for all the advice guys!! :D
    Looks like it's definitely a RAM problem - silly me jumped the gun and spent $110 on a new HDD an hour ago, and I'm still having the same problems.
    Yeah I do have 2 RAM chips in there - it came with 256mb but I added another 256 so hopefully they're not both dead. Also now that I think about it, when I start up it says something about only having 226mb RAM...so by the sounds of things it could very well be one of the RAM chips.

Either way I have a newer, much bigger HDD now, and a spare 40gig that's about to die haha. Thanks again!!

20. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Well the old drive might not have a problem if the RAM is at fault. Perhaps if you ask the shop nicely and you haven't opened the packet yet you can swap the new HDD for RAM.