This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Turner

Turner I have a cunning plan

Ah it's all good - I've wanted a bigger HDD for a while. Plus I had to format a year or so ago because the HDD shat itself and wouldn't load anything...it's been on the way out for a while I guess. Either way all is well now!

2. Rick

Rick Senior User

Wow.. that's confusing.

3. Turner

Turner I have a cunning plan

ok here's another question!

I started my computer this morning and it's STILL making that whirring noise. It stops after a while but it's a worry for about 30 seconds when the computer starts up
    I guess that means the fan is busted? and if so, does that mean it'll shit my other RAM chip, new HDD, CDROM etc out eventually?

4. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

That's usually a sign of the CPU fan being on the way out. When you first power on a comp the CPU fan kicks into high gear for a short time. When your machine is cold, power it on with your finger stopping the CPU fan from spinning but only for 5 seconds or so, you don't want the CPU getting too hot. No whirring means that's the source of your problem. You can probably try this with all the fans, but I wouldn't recommend doing it with the Power supply fans! Only due to threat of electrical discharge rather than popping things- I have done it, but I don't recommend it to anyone else!!

Kind Regards,

Brad.

5. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

^^ Agreed, id rather replace the PSU than have to replace myself. In light of my own recent experiences, act quick on this issue. I had a noisy fan issue and dismissed it as being a case fan, then when the PSU went bang and smoked, i learnt my lesson.

6. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

80mm PSU fan: $5
    400w PSU: $100

The look on your face as you watch the brown smoke escape your machine: Priceless.

7. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

8. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

How much would it cost to get it replaced? Is it easy to do yourself?

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Depends on what fan exactly you're going to replace. Sometimes you can't just replace the fan off the CPU cooler- you've got to get a complete unit which could cost you anywhere from $25-100 and isn't too hard to do. Just make sure you get an after-market cooler that's going to be compatible with your CPU socket type. While it's not essential, you could also wipe off the thermal paste and re-apply arctic silver or something (to be honest, mostly I just make sure there's a fair amount left on the CPU and drop my after-market cooler right on top of it. If you're not into overclocking a decent amount of what was there before will do.

If it's a PSU fan that's usually a bit trickier as it involves disassembling the PSU case. Sometimes that is not easy and you must be very careful NOT to touch any large capacitors etc. which can hold a dangerous charge for a long time after the system is powered off (ie: days!). Then run down to your local Dick(HEAD)Smith or Jaycar and get a compatible replacement for a couple of bucks. Soldering will more than likely be necessary on a PSU fan- they generally don't have connectors like a CPU fan does.

For anything you want to do there will be plenty of guides with pictures on the net. You can judge if you are up to it. For most computer parts, it's not worth the labour cost to have someone do a repair for you- so either replace the part entirely (new PSU or new CPU cooler) or conduct the repair/replace yourself (replace the fan). Often the replacement part will come with instructions or your motherboard may have come with a big glossy fold-up sheet that has instructions with pictures. Then there are the fools like me that go around all the council clean-ups looking for old computers ;) I have plenty of spares... even a complete and working C64!! I just thew out a stack of 2Gb scsi drives and other misc. junk- not gonna need those anymore!

10. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

Noise from fans is not a problem if you don't really care about it. It takes a LOT more cycles after a bearing starts making noise, before it fails. That said, for a PC, it's annoying to have it making that noise, so replace if you want, but it's not critically important.

11. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

Anyone got any good advice on sites to purchase good deals on domain names and webspace? (for a period of at least 3 years)

12. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Try Domain Central: https://www.domaincentral.com.au

lord.net.au is served there and they do a good job.

Webspace? Not sure - we use some free space on a friend's server. Domain Central do hosting too but I can't vouch for them since we don't use them. Anyone got any suggestions?

13. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

Ahh cool, thanks dude. :)

So did you purchase the domain from there as well or does it just get hosted from there?

14. BurningCreation

You could always try the free hosting Servers Australia are offering.
    http://serversaustralia.com.au/standardsharedhosting.html

It comes with 20Mb disk space and 50Mb data transfer per month and it also includes Cpanel 10 and Fantastico which is a bonus, it's good if you just want to try some things out before paying for hosting.

Also check out the Webhosting section on the Whirlpool forums.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=116
    There is a lot of info there.

I hope that helps. :)

15. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

I Purchase all my domains with www.namecheap.com

I have my own box, so I host on that so can't comment on hosting providers except that Dreamhost are cheap as shit and give you lots of everything :p
    Haven't used them myself, And admittedly not everyone likes them however.

16. BurningCreation

Yeah, so do I. They are pretty cheap and I like the free WhoisGuard.

17. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

We use www.godaddy.com a US based one (very cheap too) and haven't had any probs.

As for servers we have a friend hosting our site FREE!

s

18. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

The Linux Action Show advertise GoDaddy all the time. Seem to be good. I use DynDNS.

19. Cooee

Cooee Member

I use HostMonster.com for my hosting. $5.95/month USD for 300gb of space and 3TB of transfers. Had no problems with them so far, and their support is good. You can host unlimited domains off the one account as well.

20. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

There really should be a rule with computers, if you don't know what you're buying, don't complain afterwards! (see the pisses you off thread for more info)