This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I host my own shit. Pay nothing, includes unlimited quota and bandwidth. :)

2. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I finally got my hands on a Quad Core cpu last night. Running it at the stock speed, it's idling at 13 degrees!

3. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

My sister has a newish Sony Vaio laptop.After it switches off if you place your ear up against the underside there is a low volume high pitched humming. If I take out the AC adaptor and the AC power is cut the humming lowers in pitch slightly, if I then take out the battery it stops.Has anyone experienced this?Surely it can't be healthy for the computer.To save from removing the battery each time she runs it on AC without the battery in the compartment and then switches it off at the wall afterwards.Is it ok to run a laptop on AC power alone without the battery attached?s

4. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Wow - nice, Todd! How's the performance?

5. Conti

Conti Chief Conti

how much difference in sound quaity will a high end sound card give you? (replacing a crappy one)

6. Lord Tim

It's all relative.

What card would you be replacing and with what other card?

What are you recording and what gear are you using?

There's a LOT of variables involved in that. (Not trying to be a smart-ass here, just trying to narrow down how to answer you :))

7. Celestial-Todd

Damn good! I'm gonna try overclocking it to 3ghz (it's currently at 2.4) when I get the chance. Haven't been able to run any video rendering with it yet but I'm dieing to see how it goes. I did a minor stress test last night, ran two instances of "mprime", watched two cores go to 100%, had aMSN, firefox, a movie playing and compiling my music library and the other two cores still didn't hit 30% each :D

Apparently the temp reading is incorrect and should be roughly 15 degrees higher. But still, not gonna complain about getting 40 degrees at full load!

8. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Ok, not knowing exactly, I recommend reading the manual and going to the Sony website to see if this is normal behaviour. The fan may continue to spin for a while after the machine is shut off so that everything cools down a bit. If it just doesn't stop until the battery is flat then GET IT REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY. Its annoying not to have your laptop for a week but its a damn sight cheaper than leaving it until the warranty runs out and you have to pay for the parts and labour yourself.

That said, there is absolutely no reason you can't run the laptop under AC with the battery removed. Doing so will actually increase the longevity of your battery since with Lithium-ion batteries they decrease in performancefaster the hotter they are kept. It gets pretty hot under a running laptop! I have run IBM laptops for months without the battery installed. In fact, I only put the battery in the day I know I'm going to need it mobile.

9. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

yeah it will keep humming till the battery is removed. I will ring their customer service Mondayl.

I thought this was the case but was not sure, it's a different thing with cars.

s

10. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Yo, what is it?

I got a new computer, have an Intel 2Quad CPU Q6600 2.4ghz..
    pretty fuckin sweet.

gonna upgrade the graphics card though.. only has an nVidia 7100GS, wanna get a 7600GT or so.. when money allows. Unless I can get it for free.. because I ordered a 250gb HDD and they gave me 125gb HDD.. so i still have to ring up about that.

ANNYWAY

I'm having troubles with this fucking port forwarding bullshit.

It worked perfectly on my other computer.. no problems at all.

I'll tell you everything ive done, (To whom it may concern)

www.portforward.com - Went through, chose my router and program (this case, utorrent)
    Did everything, set up a static IP(Although im not entirely sure I needed to)

Ive made sure Im using the right ports, from Utorrent. And ive tried multiple times with forwarding..

Ive made sure its being allowed through Windows Firewall.. and AVG

Still doesn't work.
    Any ideas?

11. les_paul

les_paul Member

argh! i need some help...

i use an Acer Aspire 3100 laptop with Windows XP and have it linked up to a Freecom 400GB External HDD (to store my music collection). i've had it set up like this for months and months with no problems, until now

last night i was listening to my music in iTunes and suddenly the music stopped and i got a Windows pop up message saying something along the lines of the External HDD having a hardware error. i turned the HDD off and on and it seemed to get rid of the issue, there were no problems after that and i was able to continue listening to my music for the rest of the night. i turned my laptop off as i went to bed.

today i switched the laptop on in the same way i usually do and there was an issue. the laptop will not work and this message appears:

i have tried selecting the "last known good configuration" and "start windows normally" with and without the External HDD on and i keep getting to the same screen. i get to the Windows start up screen with the blue moving bar but the bar stops and the laptop doesn't respond further so i have to turn it off.

what can i do to sort this out? i need some help desperately! :erk:

12. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

^^How long have you left it for? i have seen it take 10 minutes to get through loading sometimes.

Also, have you tried booting into safe mode? You should be able to do that. At least then you will know that the issue is driver/services related...

You may want to check Windows Event logs (start-run-eventvwr) probably look in system first at around the time of when your music stopped. Look for any red circles with a cross through them and double click...they could indicate the issue.

I usually just reinstall windows...

13. Coma1

Coma1 Member

Work just got an 8 Core Mac Pro (Two - 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon), its sitting in its box in my office... im wetting myself thinking about using it... its going to be used for our mammoth roll printer to make massive photo-prints, a little excessive maybe, but who cares...

time to go clean up the mess i've made...

14. Lord Tim

Woah! *masturbates furiously* Nice machine!

15. Celestial-Todd

16. les_paul

les_paul Member

i've left it for almost an hour and it just seems to freeze

as for the windows event log, how can i do that? the computer doesn't even start up properly so how can i access the start-run, etc...?

17. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

you might be able to access windows in safe mode, and be able to get to run.

Anyone able to help me? ( couple posts up)

18. Lord Tim

^^ yeah, if anyone can help James, you'll be helping me by default. Both my modem and router have firewalls and port forwarding and I've had absolutely no luck setting up either of them (and I consider myself fairly savvy when it comes to this stuff).

19. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Ok cool.. hopefully someone can help soon..( :

20. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

Swing us screenshots of your router's port forwarding page and I'll step you through it if I can.

I'm not sure to what extent you understand the need for port forwarding, but you are somewhat computer savvy so I'll give a relatively brief explanation.

The idea behind port forwarding is that when you have a packet of data coming in from the interweb, it hits your router, as that's the thing that has your public IP (ie: not 192.168.*.* or 10.0.*.* or 169.254.*.*, but rather something liek 203.45.blah.blah). A packet arrives to an IP, and says 'i am here for port [port number here] - think of IP as street address, and port as unit number.

Anyhow, your packet hits your router, and goes 'yo, i'm here for IP [internet IP] on port [whatever, let's say 2000]. The router goes 'yeh, son, well that's all well and good, but I don't need you and I'm a router with 3 computers behind me, so it was probably one of them. Which one is it?' The reason this happens is because all networked comptuers effectively are connected to the interblag through that 1 router, and it is that router that is the only thing visible to the intertubes, as all the other computers behind it only communicate to the router on internet specific IPs and not public, internet ones. As such, all data that is being sent to those computers from the big bad world is all addressed to the same single IP, which is that of your router.

(Aside: your router will also have a network IP, like 192.168.0.1. This is because it effectively has 2 network cards in - one for the big bad world outside, and one for the network inside your own home. Your computers communicate to the 192.168.0.1 one, and then the router, through an elaborate system of smoke and mirrors, transfers the data to its internet network card and sends the data on its merry way.)

Anyway, the packet doesn't know what the fuck, as he's just told to go to IP [internet IP] on port 2000. The router doesn't know what the fuck, as there's nowhere in the packet that tells the router which computer behind it (say, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4) wants the packet.

So, the packet is told to bugger off and nothing happens. As you can imagine, if a computer was like 'hey dude that packet's for me!' then Bad Things (TM) will be happening.

Anyhow, so what you as a user do, is set up a directory of ports and the associated network IPs (192.168.*.*) that they should be sent to. Say, port 2000 to send to 192.168.0.2, port 2001 to 192.168.0.3, and port 2002 to 192.168.0.4.

Now, when that packet rocks up to the router, he's like 'yo i'm here for IP [internet IP] on port 2000. The router is like 'oh sup dawg yeh you're not here for me but you need to go to this computer: 192.168.0.2. The packet is all like 'yeh that's cool man' and then is redirected to 192.168.0.2. That computer is then all 'shit yeah, my data arrived' and happiness and boozing ensues.

Basically, what your port fowarding is doing, is exactly that. Creating a list of ports that need to go to specific computers. Therefore, you have a few things you need to know:
    The incoming port - data on a specific inbound port needs to be recognised as needing to be sent to a specific network address
    The destination IP - what address does it need to be sent to?
    The destination port [NOTE: NOT ALWAYS ABLE TO BE SET] - if you, say, take in data on port 2000, but really the computer wants it on port 1000, this can be done by setting the destination port. Most usually, though, the desitnation port is the same as the incoming port, as it doesn't wanna change. In ones where you can't set it, it's just the same as the incoming port.

That's baiscally, the fundamentally required information. There may be a few things extra, but that's the basic, required stuff - the rest is just extra options to play with to make Special Things happen. Also note you can't forward the same port to 2 computers, as htat's effectively the entire problem to begin with as there's no way to say 'hey at certain times go to this one but at other times go to that one'.

Anyhow, you also have this nifty thing called UPnP - Universal Plug 'n' Play. This shit's pretty dope, because it allows computers to go to routers "hey router dude for the next [x amount of time], any data on port [number, say, 2000] has to come to ME." This allows computers to dynamically let data in to them as needed, but then after a while it closes that port off so you can't get extra data through (it's supposably got security benefits there, but I've never had trouble with static port forwards). The other benefit, is that if two computers need to use the same port but they'll never need to use it at the same time, then both computers can use UPnP to tell which computer the router needs to send the data to at that specific time.

The downside is that it can sometimes not work for some reasons, so static forwarding is the way to go to have it just do the thing it's supposed to and not dick around.

Anyhow, that's generally the idea of port forwarding. In summary: You're making a directory list of which ports internet data needs to be sent to, so as to allow internet data to reach the correct networked computer it needs to.

This message brought to you by a lack of sleep.