This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Haha, Thats awesome.

I'll send a screeny I guess.

also.
    so the Host IP address should be a 203.45.*.*? I have it on 192.168.*.* because thats what www.portforward. com said to put in.. and thats what Im pretty sure I had it set to before computer changing.

Attached Files:

2. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

No, host IP would be your computer's IP that you're trying to forward to. Why are you using 192.168.1.255 though? that's not a valid computer IP address, and will not work if you're setting a computer to that IP.

The *.*.*.255 address is the last number in the series. This is known as the 'broadcast' address and is reserved for Special Things (TM). Don't put a computer on it cause it'll cause problems.

3. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

I didn't do that top one.. it was there when we were doing something with mums mac, and some dude came around from netspace or whatever and set that up.

4. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

Your mistake on the 2nd one, is that you've set the host IP as 192.168.1.1. that's your router's network IP address. The host is the computer you're trying to forward to. change that to your computer and it should work.

5. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

We fixed Jaus's problem. He did have the wrong IP - it was supposed to be 192.168.1.9.

6. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Does each computer on the network need a static IP to use port forwarding properly?

7. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

Not technically - port forwarding will forward to whatever IP it is told to. For example, my computer is not statically allocated, but because of the fact that we rarely have computer coming on and off this network, chances of me changing IP are low and I havn't for months even though I have technically got a dynamically allocated IP.

Ideally, yes, statically allocate your IP either by allocating that IP to your computer's MAC address at your router (easier), or by setting it up manually at your computer's end (harder). That way, you can be insured it will never change and you won't be left wondering why your port forwarding rules suddenly died. If one computer hyjacks another's IP, then it'll forward to that new computer instead, for example.

8. Lord Tim

OK, that explains why things weren't working.

I did fuck around with static IPs for a while but everything ended up in a big heap and I ran out of time to troubleshoot it properly. When I get some time (HA!) I'll have another go. :)

9. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

Give me some form of admin access over your network and it'll happen for you :p Alternatively, I can just move back into Buckingham Palace, given both are as likely as one another.

10. Lord Tim

Just telnet to 127.0.0.1 and you're in! ;)

11. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

Says he to someone who he's asking for help on how IPs work :p

Anyhow, what are you doing posting now at this time, if you're not at home? Are you in some sort of hobo-internet-cafe on the streets or something?

12. Lord Tim

Nah, I'm at home, working instead of out partying like every other fucker *sigh*... my network connection here is working great except for any file sharing programs that need direct access to the net (which I don't use too much so I'm not too worried about this problem, to be honest). :)

13. Rick

Rick Senior User

I just use 8080... Port open for Internet Explorers.. seems to work fine for P2P.

14. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

When you don't have ports open, you can only get passive connections, rather than active connections. This limits you to a certain type of person at the other end, and therefore you tend not to get as good transfer speeds. Bittorrent will work without port forwarding, but it will be dreadfully slow in comparison. Opening port 8080 for IE won't really do much, either, unless you're hosting a webserver specifically on that port.

15. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I'm moving into a new place this week and would like to get broadband for the first time in my life. I don't think there's cable there, which means getting ADSL. Getting ADSL means renting a phone line, which I'll have little use for.

So, what's a good option for cheap line rental and good ADSL? I'm gonna have another poke around whirlpool.net for ideas as well. Is anyone with TPG?

Edit: another thing I should add is that I probably won't be a massive downloader like some people are. I'll watch a lot of YouTube, but don't know that I'll download whole TV series or anything like that. Would 10GB suffice?

16. Rick

Rick Senior User

10gb should be heaps. I'm on a 15gb cap, and that suffices for 7 TV eps a week and various other shit.

17. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Anyone know if a good quality (Enermax Liberty) 500w PSU can supply enough juice for overclocking the following. It runs completely stable at stock:

E6850 stock cooler
    8500GT
    Single 1GB stick Ram
    1 HDD
    1 DVD-R/W
    2 Case fans
    Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DQ6

The problem being as soon as i try to overclock i get stuck in a reboot loop.at the post level. All reviews i have read indicate this setup is capable of 3.7Ghz cpu on stock cooler...

18. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Using the above you need 499W to overclock that sucker to 3.7- if that is not a PSU designed for performance then I'd say that it ain't going to cut it. Please use the calculator as you will have more detailed info than I do. Your problem MIGHT still be a northbridge/southbridge voltage issue- given the calculator states that this is the MAX power required to drive the CPU at 90% load.

unlink the memory, run it at the full speed and set the timings and voltages by hand. Set the FSB to 400 mhz and let the cpu voltage be 1.35. That'll net you 3.6ghz and should be stable. Adjust the various south/northbridge volts until it boots and is orthos stable. I THINK that it should boot if your PSU is a decent one (ie: not shipped with the case LOL). But if you then push it with a game or something and it starts to lock up- your issue would be either heat or power- the stock cooler may need to be looked at. Certainly do some monitoring of your CPU temps under moderate wondoze loads. You don't want to let the smoke out of your CPU right?

19. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I might add one more comment: Easytune SUCKS!!!

20. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Thanks for the tips man. Easytune does suck. I always do clocking in the BIOS only. The PSU is good shit, which is why i think a 500w'r should be fine. Interestingly, i get bad temp readings from the cpu, sometimes up to the 60 degrees c mark. Concerning as it it, i would have thought that thrashing the system in Stalker would have caused some instability, but its rock solid. Which makes me think the temp sensor may be slightly faulty. Perhaps the next mobo fw version will address this. I would have thought that the bios would automatically set voltages to whats required at stock, and generally you can get a small fsb rise without even touching voltages. Hence my concern at the reboot when i raise the fsb by 10%.