This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Ok, so that answers one of my unasked questions: are you going up slowly or just jumping right to 3.7Ghz. I *still* think the problem may lie with northbridge and southbridge. try adjusting those voltages marginally (don't you hate the six million reboots!)

I've seen people taking about FSB stability in the 450+ region for this Mobo and CPU. You've got to be careful though as there are a lot of skites on the forums who don't post proof. One troll said he was getting 520!

2. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

I can't remember if it was in thread or not, and I haven't had any luck finding so far, but I remember someone posted a link to a good program for Windows to use instead of iTunes when hooking up an iPod.

Any remember which program that was?

3. BurningCreation

4. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

AFAIK both winamp and foobar have plugins for this, though this may be going to shit with the new ipods and their firwmare locking them to itunes only.

5. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I hate it when Apple do shit like that. Though I like it when the Linux community break that lock in a matter of hours after its discovery. Amarok now works with any iPod again. But it's also a reason (even as an Apple fanboi) why I am considering buying a different brand mp3 player when the time comes.

pipsqeek

6. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Hey pips- I bought an ipod for my boss (and hated it). I've got Creative Zen Micro and Microphoto which are ok despite the sloppy manufacturing on the headphone socket. The next player I get will be a Cowon Iaudio7 (when they start selling them in 16Gb) as it supports FLAC. But it means I have to re-rip my collection for the THIRD time :(

7. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Nice having a sound board for this stuff, appreciate it man. I upped all voltages 1 step. northbridge, cpu, pci-e etc. I did this to test out the PSU more than anything. I was still able to run stable. So that eliminates PSU...to some degree.

Then, looking at the BIOS reading for the core temp, i decided i would re AS5 my hsf because i didnt like the amount intel put on it as stock. I wiped it all off and applied my own desired amount and cpu is now half the temp it was. Running currently at 38 degrees under my normal load (few apps, music etc).

What really concerns me is the stock 775 cooler attachment process. I dunno if im just a noob or what, but even after RTFM and watching the vid on intel's site, i still struggle like crazy with this design. Any tips? It seems one pin always just doesnt 'click' even if i force it to the point where the motherboard complains (creaks.)... :cry:

8. pipsqeek

bsercombe, I'm actually getting a 16GB COWON D2 when they appear in Australia.

9. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

This may have been answered already, but I can't be arsed wading through 47 pages of postings, so: how do I convert Quicktime movie files to Windows movie files?

10. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

Use Zamzar

Easiest way that doesn't require you to install software.. if you can't use Zamzar(I.e. the file is too big) then give me a shout on MSN I can help you out :)

11. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

That looks pretty good!

12. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

Yeah, Zamzar does direct from youtube, google video etc rips too.

13. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Awesome- yes quite often the HS paste that comes with a cooler is CRAP, particularly the stuff they put on stock coolers. I recommend arctic sliver which will probably cost you $10 for a little syringe of more than you'll be able to use.

You are not a NOOB- I've had the same problem with many different CPU coolers- several I have used in the past seem to require large amounts of force and strain to be placed upon the montherboard. Can't be a good thing long term! I have had a lot of success with Zalman aftermarket coolers (if your going to stick with air rather than water), though I know this adds to your cost! They tend to cool better and be quieter than your stock intel job which is notoriously noisy - if you're going to seriously overclock then definitely get a better cooler, if not water. Going from 3 to 3.7 will make a BIG difference to running temp. I also hope that you can still run the CPU in dynamic speed-step with a max speed of 3.7 rather than running it at 3.7 with a shitload of idle time- to be honest I haven't looked too much at that.

Ave a look here:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1770/

14. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Hey that's awesome. Personally, I don't need all the video stuff so that's why I'm sticking with the Iaudio- I just want access to FLAC. I'd REALLY like to see more players support a plug-in flash card etc. though... Your D2 definitely supports that!

One thing to be aware of when purchasing is that Cowon & Ipod batteries are built-in. Creatives are (mostly) user replaceable.

15. pipsqeek

True, though my theory with batteries is that when it's time to replace them, it's probably time to update the item.

Eg: My laptop. 4 years old. Taken with me to every client, recording at gigs and parties, photoshop work, and all the usual stuff. It has never been switched off. Ever. Since I bought it. I calculated that it sab been on for something over 35,000 hours.

HDD died in it on the weekend. Since I'm strapped for cash atm, I'm just replacing the HDD. Otherwise I'd be buying new. Battery is user replaceable but after 4 years and being used off the AC adaptor a lot, it still holds about 2.5 hours of charge. Not bad from the initial 6 hours from new. $120 can fix it, but it still works so I'm not fussed. When the battery explodes I might buy a new machine... and a house with the fat arse settlement from the namufacturer :p

tee hee
    pipsqeek

16. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

17. pipsqeek

LOL, ROFL.... That is funny

18. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

There was a big epic thing about a guy on SA doing that with a cable TV cable to his neighbours who were stealing his TV, and it ended up that the police got a hold of the thread or something, cause there was a fire in a house across the street that caused them to see it.

19. Turner

Turner I have a cunning plan

hey dudes, got a question for you!

i just yesterday got a laptop from my dad and it currently runs slow as all hell.
    my plan is to format it then reinstall windows, however it currently has vista on it and i'm going to reinstall with the copy of XP that came with my other computer
    can anyone see any reason why this won't work? i've never formatted + reinstalled on a laptop before. i don't *think* it should be any different, but i'd rather check first anyway.

20. Turner

Turner I have a cunning plan

lol, what i should've done was google it before I asked here
    2nd result was exactly answering my question :D