This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Cheers, yep, that's all fine. :) Was more looking at brand specific monitor stuff.

(it's for a gaming rig) :)

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

The best thing over here in Singapore is that shops put stacks of monitors side-by-side showing the same pictures or animations so you can see what is best. The hardest thing to get is a very black black, which always seems to make screens look good IMHO. The other thing you need to look for is response time. The faster response time screens will always cost more. Often each brand will have fast and slow response models etc. Personally, I'm using a Philips LCD at home but I'm not recomending it or anything. If you whack "LCD shootout" into google along with the model number that you're interested in you'll often find a good comparison of the product with its peers.

3. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I hear ya. We did a small study at work to see if it was feasable to migrate to *nix for Desktops. My boss is just as much a geek I am, so liked the idea and said "Figure out if we can do it."

A few months later, experiments with savvy users and lots of information, we discovered that it wasn't possible due to protty much similar reasons as yours.

Sad, but true.

That doesn't sound right. I am able to run my 24" Dell LCD from a 16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro. If that card can display 1920x1200 then any card made in the last 5 years can.

pipsqeek

4. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Guess i should poke my head in here cos thats the LCD i have atm. No quams whatsoever. I use it for all use, 70% of which is gaming. Its a really nice monitor. Very bright though.

If your in NSW, the cheapest vendors i have seen for this are here:

http://www.skycomp.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=62585&osCsid=1ecf49e83fe93b0fc105a13cc8cf8b70

and

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/21970/

There was one other, but i cant find them anymore.

After my 172x SyncMaster i am pretty much a Samsung fanboy now with LCDs and have never doubted my decisions with their products. :saint:

Also, make sure you have DVI on your vga card (I highly doubt you dont if your gaming). DVI is able to give much higher res.

5. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Hmm, I'm having a small problem with my computer.

its new, got a Q6600 quad core at 2.4ghz, 7100GS GeForce, 2gb Ram etc.
    Sometimes if its been on for a couple hours, and especially if I have opened and closed a program a few times (uTorrent mostly) it won't load up at all.

Earlier msn bugged out on me, and I tried tostart it back up again, clicking on the icon, and nothing happened
    so I did a CTRL+ALT+DEL and nothing happened. Then I tried to open FF and it didn't open. Then I tried opening RealPlayer, didn't load.

I opened up my documents, and also changed the song I was listening to, So It wasn't a case of my computer freezing on me, as everything else was working well.

Then about 5 mins later, msn runs, FF runs and RP runs.
    Anyone know what the deal could be?

6. flip`

flip` Your mother was a hamster

7. Arcane

Arcane Member

That is the sort of behaviour you will see if something is taking up all of your CPU, which I would have thought would be difficult with a quad core..

Next time it happens try and have task manager open and check out the CPU usage of each program.

Alternatively your windows may be b0rked.

8. sadisticsatyr

9. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected the CPU to be lagging. Task Manager is one of the things that don't load sometimes, so thats pretty damn lame.

generally there is a fair bit going on. Maybe I shouldn't leave steam and xfire running unless Im gonna play something.

The windows disk I have is one that a couple of my mates have on their computer aswell, so I'd imagine they'd have similar problems, but not that I know.

Cheers for that.

10. sadisticsatyr

Hmm i was gonna suggest HDD thrashing, but since you were able to easily open other apps while the others were unresponsive, im not sure thats the case.

I am assuming you run AntiVirus software with up-to-date definitions and you keep your OS patched. Perhaps you could try reinstalling those few apps that are being bothersome. Otherwise (if it was me) just rebuild Windows.

Also, if the other guys have the same disc as in install CD, then your issue is probably not common to anyone who installs from that disc. If your machine was imaged from an image taken from one of their machines, then yes quite possibly.

EDIT: If this is a newly arisen issue you may wanna check for any big red crosses in Event Viewer (start>run>eventvwr)

11. sadisticsatyr

Anyone seen any DDR 2 desktop RAM that runs at 1333MHz fsb? as in 1:1?

Also, has any one seen an Aussie vendor for the Corsair DDR210000 Dominator sticks?
    Or something that outperforms the Patriot PC2-9600 (using D9 Micron chips)?

12. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

13. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

The HDD is a brand new 250gb, I doubt Ive been giving that much of a thrashing d :

I'm using AVG anti virus and AVG anti spyware. Virus one runs regularly, the spyware doesn't, I should do a scan.

Checked that..
    Application tab has a bunch of them, all saying "application Error" or "Application Hang"

Under the System tab there are "Warnings" saying TCP/IP and noticed one saying cdrom.

couple of Errors there aswell. - DCOM and W32Time

Whoa, further down the list theres about 20 odd cdrom errors in a row.

Didn't like something I was putting in there.

Generally, these mean nothing to me.

14. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Ok, you can safely ignore the DCOM and W32Time and practically all of the TCP/IP errors at hand. Tell me what the CD-ROM error is but it's probably not relevant. On an older system you might have had something wrong with your IDE controller resulting in system lockups while trying to read from the pagefile, but ATM most CD-ROMs are IDE while Disks have gone to SATA... I get lockups under XP on my machine here. Most often they are when I have multiple tabs open in IE- seems a couple of patches ago IE tabbed browsing got a little flakey.

Have a look through the application hangs and see if it is the same thing hanging a lot. If so, try uninstall/reboot/reinstall.

15. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Check the BIOS- in some BIOS systems you have to enable multiprocessor support though I'd have thought this would show up in task manager when you only see one CPU performance window and not four.

16. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Not sure what dad was running at the time but he's got a 24"WXGA just like you. I was pretty sure he was running my old 6600GT but I sent him down my Powercolour X800XTPE (which had been modded for serious overclock). His primary reason for use is BF2 so perhaps the problem was that the old card couldn't manage the framerate at that rez. I am pretty sure it was a no image problem though and the card still worked fine on the old monitor.

The other cards I had floating around were Matrox G550s I don't *think* I inflicted that on him. You know you can still buy G450 and 550 cards new here! For about $20.

17. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Wait, are you saying, that by default, my computer might only actually be running 1 of 4 processors?

Hmm, How would I change this? Because TM doesn't show all 4 CPU perf figures.

18. sadisticsatyr

Pretty sure it should be....if its not, thats a fair indication that not all are running. :ill:

19. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

In your BIOS there might be an option that says something along the lines of "enable multiprocessor support". Not all BIOSes have it. Like SadisticSatyr I'm pretty sure you should have four CPU usage windows in your task manager, but unfortunately my quad-core machine is at home - here is a pic of a dual-core that I have in the office. It shows two CPU plots which are doing practically the same amount of work in this case.

[​IMG]
    PS: Sorry, couldn't resist....

20. mawdyson

mawdyson Member

I'm trying to format my mums laptop so I can reinstall XP, but when I go to format it it shows a message saying "Windows cannot format this drive. Qut any disk ultilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of this drive".

I'm pretty sure I've got all programs/utilities closed. But it still wont do it. Can anyone help out?