This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Maybe no one here deals with this.....but does anyone know of an SMBIOS 2.4 comlpliant util that can run under WinPE 1.6 and 2.1?

2. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Has anyone here used Ubuntu?

3. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

My home pc has run Ubuntu for well over a year now... what do you wanna know?

4. Winmar

Ah sweet. I was just wondering if it's worth giving a go while I wait for Windows 7 to come out, rather than buying Vista or another copy of XP if I get a new computer. Is it ok to use for someone who's never used Linux before?

5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

What program can anyone suggest as a replacement for the ever-worsening Nero? The only things I really use it in is the normal CD/DVD data burning, and making DVD-videos from a variety of different format video files.

6. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

Ubuntu is a great way to get your jump into Linux. If you already have an OS on your drive, try running Linux's self extracting version of Ubuntu called Wubi. Its a weeee bit buggy if you do not do a clean shutdown, but other than that.. it runs just fine and gives you a simple means for a Linux install and dual boot with a Windows OS....

Otherwise, installing Linux can be a little confusing at first if you are used to putting your Windows disc in and letting it do all the deciding for you.

You have to make a swap file for your boot and the bootloader and terms are a little different, you have dev as a partition instead of how Windows names things.

7. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Just to reiterate.

Ubuntu is a great first time Linux Distro to get in and start learning. I personally don't use it any more because I disagree with how it has evolved, but I still recommend it to green Linux users. Their forums are pretty much the bees knees of support. Any thing you type into Google about a linux issue will no doubt bring up a host of results leaning towards Ubuntu first, then you'll find what you're after, if it's another distribution.

The thing to keep in mind is that Linux isn't Windows, it'll never be Windows and it can't replicate how Windows works. Applications like iTunes can't run but there are alternatives such as Amarok and Banshee. If you run Photoshop, forget it. Even under WINE, it's a little flakey. But there are alternatives that will have to do such as GIMP. Inkscape for Illustrator alternative as well.

You'll have to remember that Linux's main thing is that it's GNU licensing. Which means it won't playback MP3's, DVD's, flash animation, java, graphics drivers, etc. out of the box. These are all proprietary features that you effectively pay for when you buy the other OS's on the market. But you can easily download the features after you have installed Ubuntu or any distro of your choice.

Ubuntu uses a package manager called apt (or aptitude - the GUI version), this allows you to install all software and the system will now update them too. So you're not left with an updated system, but your office suite is about 6 months old or your dvd playback plugins and codecs are aging also. Ubuntu is based on Debian.

Other distros use RPM's as their package managers. While it use to be a nightmare, RPM's are alright these days. Most RPM based distros use YUM as their package manager for RPM's and handle all the dependencies.... you'll learn about dependencies if you use Linux a lot.

Once you get into it, you might find that you should have done it sooner. After a couple times of installing Ubuntu you'll realise how easy it is. These days I can have a complete system from parts, assembly, installation, configuration, update and running in about an hour with Linux. It still takes me half a day with Windows due to restarts, updates, restarts, install a driver, restart, update, restart, authorise, call microsoft because I've installed the OS too many times and activated it.

The boot loaded in Linux can be installed in its own partition or in the master partition. The swap file will need it's own partition. Swap is the virtual memory. I usually give it 512MB or more, up to the same value as the real RAM you have installed. Eg; you have a system with 2GB RAM. Make the swap file 2GB.

All you need then is a root partition and a /home partition. Make sure you keep your /home partition. This is where all your files, settings, themes, etc will live. If you have to reinstall or just want to try out a different distro, you can format / (root), but not format /home. And when you start your new distribution, all your bookmarks, settings, files, desktop backgrounds, etc will all still be there like you never left it. It's not a backup, it's just leaving that part untouched. Like putting MyDocuments in Windows on a different hard drive.

You'll have some fun. But remember, Ubuntu isn't Windows. and you'll be fine.

pips

8. Celestial-Todd

^^

He doth speaketh the truth!

Afterall, I was converted by pips haha

I'm still using Ubuntu. I've tried out a few other distro's (CentOs, Fedora, other flavours of Debian) but keep coming back to Ubuntu because of the "ease" of getting it all set up. Probably only because I'm used to it now... but hey, I'm a busy (read: lazy) man :lol:

9. Winmar

Thanks for all that, folks! It's food for thought. So to get programs to work with it, do you generally have to download add-ons? Could I do video editing on it?

10. Celestial-Todd

I regularly do video editing in Ubuntu using a combination of Kino (for digital video capturing) and either Cinelerra or... shit the name of the other one escapes me, to actually edit and re-encode.

Again it's not as "easy" as in Windows Movie Maker... but if you figure it out, it's much more configurable

11. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

Ubuntu studio has PiTiVi, Kino, Cinepaint, its especially designed for video.

12. Winmar

Super sweet. If I'm getting a new computer, is there any reason not to go the 64 bit version? How many GB of RAM would it recognise? I understand that the 32 bit version of Vista only reads 3 and a bit GB, so I assume it's the same with Ubuntu.

13. Celestial-Todd

ANY 32bit operating system will only "recognise" just over 3gb of RAM. The rest is allocated to system services.... 64 bit will take as much as you could possibly throw at it haha

Just keep in mind, there are downsides to going with a 64bit version of Ubuntu. Flash support is still very weak, although apparently Adobe have just released a native 64 bit driver for it.... I haven't been able to test it yet

14. Winmar

Ok cool yeah, that makes sense. Would I be right in thinking that the benefits of being able to chuck in loads of RAM might outweigh the downsides for a user like myself? I mainly want to do usual stuff plus (holiday) video editing. I won't be doing any Flash editing, only viewing web pages which include it. As you can see, I'm still learning all this stuff. Gotta start somewhere....

15. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

Depends on your system, more ram will enhance virtual memory. Video edit IMO is more processor intensive, so the more load your system is able to handle and process ie; grunt, horsepower etc..the less time intensive it'll become. When it comes to video edit, it can what seems like countless hours to compress or process some things. So if you have a decent dual core rig with a couple gigs of at least 667mhz ram you should be ok but 800 would be preferable - MHZ speed effects the flow of things. Your hard drive speed plays into this as well but if you have a 8mb cache, that should be just fine for med duty things.

Typically you would think more ram would be all fine and ok...in some cases, if your ram is mismatched it could slow you down moreso than when just running a pair of finely tuned sticks of 1gb or 2gb config.

16. Celestial-Todd

One thing I recommend to anyone doing video editing is to make sure the raw file and the output file are placed on two different hard drives. That way you're not held up by I/O lags

I did video editing just fine on 667mhz ram for ages... I upgraded once I got the quad core to 800mhz ram (only so I could overclock the fuck out of it)

17. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

one for the html savvy...

i'm trying to put together a stretched website, (one that is always 100% width and height, regardless of screen/resolution size).

Header, footer and left column are working perfectly and doing what i need them to do, but the div marked "x" below is my problem area... width is working as it should, but i need the content column to fill 100% of the space between header and footer.

Anyone?

[​IMG]

18. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Can you attach your code for the site as a TXT file to a post here? Not sure how you're doing the layout and the DOCTYPE has a huge bearing on how everything is interpreted alone, let alone what methods you're using to do the stretching, etc.

19. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

Sure.

Attached Files:

20. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Give it a go with the DOCTYPE line at the beginning removed and see how you go. I know that's bad form but you'd be surprised at how often that'll magically fix a site.