This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Cooee

Cooee Member

Lots of speakers have headphone jacks built into them so you don't have to keep swapping cables. Are you specifically avoiding that option?

2. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

Either you get a front headphone jack that, upon detecting a load, will mute the rear, or you get a splitter and swap there (or have a switch if you are so inclined). It's not exactly intended that someone rummages behind their computer constantly swapping between speakers and headphone at the soundcard end.

If you had 2 line-outs, how'd you know which to mute when you want to use the other? It'd be just as frustrating to have to deal with. The front headphone jack (or headphone jack in speakers, also) is the way to roll.

3. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I run it all through my mackie mixer.

4. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

My speakers are pretty cheap, so there's no headphone input. I'll upgrade at some stage and will keep that factor in mind! In the meantime I might have to investigate that splitter option. Thanks champs.

5. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

I did the unplug thing for a few months till I got a splitter on a new build. I now use a Bose companion 3 system which has it built into the vol control but you should be able to rig something up for about 5-10 bucks @ radio shack no problem

6. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

Read this as 'dick smith'.

You're best buying an extension cable so your 'plug in part' is effectively sitting up on your desk courtesy of a long cable, and then swap them right in front of you. A splitter is bad because it means you're playing through both speakers and headphones at the same time so when you put the cans on, the speakers are also on and when you are listening to speakers your cans are on.

7. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Not a question... just a self-observation here. I recently bought four new 750gb hard drives and have set them up in a RAID5 array. My levels of geekdom have gone up after deciding to name it "Legion"

50 points to whoever can pick the reference ;) haha

Now for my question....

Is anyone else finding themself laughing whenever the government claims that they can / will filter the internet?

8. Rick

Rick Senior User

That came off as a massive suprise when i heard it on the radio, actually. How was there no coverage about this prior?

All my network systems are named after Norse mythology. "Yggdrasil, Odin, Fenrir" etc.

9. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Even more amusing is that they reckon they're gonna filter P2P software too... yes, well, good luck. That would mean inspecting every packet of data that goes through every ISP which would A: be a huuuuuugggee slowdown, B: be ineffective because all you need to do is wrap/encrypt the illegal content in some other package to disguise it, or they'd use VPN or some kind of encrypted file transfer system, and C: inspecting every packet of data for illegal activity? Including personal details? Including stuff that may be sent by a minor? Bank details? Um... yes, hello civil liberties groups and privacy advocates!

Absolutely ridiculous that they're even slightly entertaining this idea.

Apparently the list of blacklisted sites have leaked online too... be interested to see the list of what they say we're not allowed to see. ;) (EDIT FOR CLARITY: Not to see the sites themselves, but to see what they think we shouldn't be allowed to see).

10. Celestial-Todd

I've argued with a few people about the logic / logistics of actually "censoring the internet".... they seem to all come back to the same logic "if you're against it, it's because you've got something to hide"

I refuse to accept it on a purely technical level (for reasons spelt out in Tim's post). How can the government say on one hand that they're going to provide REAL broadband (not this 512kb shit Telstra claims to be broadband) to the entire country and then announce they're going to totally rape speeds and usability by proposing this filter.

Oh I forgot the reason..... "won't somebody think of the children". Yes, let's wrap the entire fucking nation in cotton wool

11. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Red Dwarf.

Lately I've been building RAID 60 arrays for work. Interesting buggers. You can drop two disks before you have to worry and the throughput is still pretty good. You'd need at least one more 750 for it tho.

12. Celestial-Todd

Nope... not Red Dwarf

It's actually a biblical quote... but I got it from an X-Men character named Legion (a schitzophrenic psychic). The saying is "We are Legion, for we are many" . No-one has picked it so far haha

I considered RAID6 somewhat overkill for home usage. Raid isn't a substitute for a good back-up plan... I learnt that the hard way when I installed my O/S and all of my files onto a RAID 0 array that went south on me. When I next get paid, I'm going to buy a couple of 1tb drives SOLELY for back up. They'll stay in a safe box (not a safe... just a thick metal box to protect it from heat, cold, shock etc etc) until I need them

13. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Keeper of the Seven Cheese Metallic Progressor

The Red Dwarf reference is built off the same religious premise anyhow :p A being that was made up all the main characters of the show.

14. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

book of Mark 5, verses 1-20 but verse 9 specifically.

Its been used in other movies beforehand though. The Exorcist, one of the scenes while she is possessed on the bed. I think Spawn and maybe one of the Omen series. I am sure there are many others.

15. Celestial-Todd

Bugger you all... It's from the X-Men and I'm sticking to that! haha

16. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

It was also used extensively in the playstation/pc game, Shadow Man.

17. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

And by Anonymous - "We Are Anonymous, We Are Legion"

Question: All of a sudden, I am unable to access many usual websites - gmail, Facebook, etc. I just get timeouts. This was shitting me, I thought it was just network outage/unreliability, but I've sort of figured out that its all to do with getting sites across HTTPS connections. I searched for "https test website" and tried loading a few of the more relevant results to check this and the hypothesis seems to hold up.

This applies in FF3 and IE5. I'm running W2k. I recently installed mutorrent and have been playing with tcp and router settings. Can anyone help or speculate?

PS. There's an anomaly; with Gmail I can get some headers before it times out.

18. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

Its natural to think you are getting network outage.. thats the first step in elimination to cipher if there is a problem on your end or the providers end.

You are dealing with network issues and packet flow - filtered traffic across IP protocols if I thinking it correctly. DHCP.
    That can be dicey to hammer out. You need to know all your IP info, gateway, modem info, router info - ie: make, serials mac id's. Are you running one PC or 'puter with out a router? Wired or wireless? Are you running a firewall? Is it hardware or software? What s your setup? OS?

19. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

Cheers Mr Charvel, you seem a champion geek :p

I'd describe myself as a fairly advanced user. As mentioned above, running W2k, properly SPed up. Fairly simple home network, a few PCs (only one is mine; no others have problems), no wireless, cable internet through a router. I have ZA but disabling it doesn't make any difference in this instance.

I was playing around with my TCP settings and my router's settings to try to get a Torrent program going a couple of days ago. I ended up leaving the router set to assign IPs via DHCP, but to reserve one specific IP for my MAC address; this let me set it up to forward a port for Torrenting.

I also have a nasty habit of fucking around in the Services console. Are there any Services that could, if disabled, be causing this?

20. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Do a factory reset on your router. For some reason some routers get totally munged up and forget that they do certain protocols. Every time I try to set up eMule and assign static IPs, my router forgets to dish out dynamic IPs to random machines on the network here and only a factory reset can fix that.