This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

Something that's been frustrating me for a while now, but i've never been able to figure out what's causing it....

Approx. 1 in 4 visits to Google on my pc end up in me not being able to visit ANY sites. Google loads fine at all times, and the search function always works, but it stops there and won't let me visit any search results or access any pages manually for atleast 5mins. Then all goes back to normal.

My modem is always telling me its properly connected throughout this problem, and the status bar is always displaying "Looking up...etc"

Can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Possibly the DNS routing table in your modem not purging properly? What happens if you reboot your modem immediately after that starts to happen?

3. Stupid White

not sure, i'll try that next time.

I'm usually in the middle of something that doesn't need a connection, so i just go on with that until it's fixed.

If that is the issue, what do i do?

4. Lord Tim

If it's a D-link, set the cunt on fire and get a real modem! :p I had most of my problems relating to that with D-link stuff. But yeah, I actually don't know, I just reboot and complain a lot, usually! :bah:

5. Stupid White

No D-Link here, thankfully. It's a Belkin.

Reboot and complain it is! :)

6. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

:lol:

I guess that should be the universal call for rooting out all my D-link problems.:p

One thing about D-link though is their routers are almost universally equipped with a USB port for setting up your network via a flash. I've been wanting to try their gaming extreme wireless N but its a tad bit pricey yet still at around a 100.+ USD.

7. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

Cheers back at ya!

Its hit and miss while troubleshooting but it sounds like you got something restricted, so it would likely be a pretty good course of action to go as LT suggests and start back at a hard reset for your router/modem default and let it go thru setups or with you know is certain....that would be a good route to start.

However....if that doesn't work;
    you probably know you likely may have altered the protocol or rerouted it a bit in your OS for your TCP/IP if you were in there, in which case, if you don't have a screenshot saved of what worked before you started to alter it or have your original settings written down somewhere...you may have to sort it out with your provider if they are willing to provide support for your connectivity problems in your computer. I know I've done the same a few times over the years as I too have a habit of tweak this or that.. now I take screenshots of everything before I alter it and as I go along to serve as a point of reference in case something starts going whacked.
    TCP/IP and DHCP can be a headache sometimes as I go thru my own bouts with it now and then - that is the best I can offer at the moment.

8. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Keeper of the Seven Cheese Metallic Progressor

Hey Guys, I have been having a very large problem with the installation of my Midi to USB cable that I purchased off of Ebay. I have bought a couple of these in the past however certain family members had carelessly broken the MIDI INs off of them rendering them useless to me. This third one I have purchased has not simply installed the driver as expected in usual plug and play fashion. I attempted to plug this device into my Vista systems in the house and it appeared to install and thought that it was a possibly Operating System incompatibility (despite all three of these generic cables looking the same - see here for exact example http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-MIDI-USB-Cable-4-Music-KEYBOARD-to-PC-XP-Vista-MAC_W0QQitemZ280298919181QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item280298919181&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

I can't get it to work no matter how hard I try. It installs itself as an Unknown Device and any drivers I have found online will not install as an updated driver for this device. I am simply met with a response synonymous with "This driver does not contain any information about your hardware".

When installed correctly this device should come up as USB audio device as it has with all of the cables I have purchased in the past.

Can anybody please help me, I am going crazy. This probably has me stumped and I don't know what to do. It's stopped me from being able to play my Keyboard and it's pissing me off severely.

I hope someone has had experience with this. :(

Thanks guys!

9. Lord Tim

Hmm weird.

OK, firstly are you using Vista or XP?

Next, did you install the driver first before connecting the hardware?

Next, do you get any indication on the device that there's any MIDI activity coming in or out (like LEDs lighting up or anything like that)?

Have you tried deleting the unknown device from the Device Manager before you try to reinstall?

10. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Ok, There are no drivers that actually come with the device. No CD or anything.

I have tried to delete the Unknown Device Countless times.

With the device you do get acknowledgment that the device is working by means of a red LED next to the word MIDI on the actual device itself.

I am using XP on this PC. As advertised it should work on XP, OS X and Vista. I really would like this to work on XP.

If I were to find the .dlls that are used when the driver installs successfully on another computer, am I able to simply copy them to the same locations on this computer or would that be insufficient to get it operational?

11. Lord Tim

OK, if you were using Vista I'd say it's possible that may be the reason because there's sliiiiiight differences in some driver models, but XP should definitely work OK.

The DLL files don't really have much to do with anything, you'd be looking for an INF file, pretty much. If it needs any DLL files, they'll be referenced in the INF. If you don't have one of those on your installation disc in the drivers folder, there's your problem. (If there's just a SETUP.EXE or INSTALL.EXE then it'll be unpacked from that somewhere along the line and should all do it automatically).

OK, my advice - uninstall the driver from Device Manager while the device is plugged in, then unplug the device.

If there's an installation program that came on the disc, run that first before plugging anything in. EDIT: OK, I re-read what you said and there was no installation disc. Try one of the ones you've downloaded then. If none of those work... skip ahead.

Reboot.

Then plug your device in.

It *should* detect the device and look on your hard drive for the necessary INF file (which should be in X:\Windows\INF\OTHER) (X being your system drive letter).

If there's no installer, that makes things fairly complex.

Have you tried different ports? It may require a USB 2.0 port and you've plugged that into a 1.1 port?

You may possibly (unlikely) have a resource sharing conflict going on, or possibly something disabled in your BIOS.

Really, this thing should just work like the ad says.

Let me know how you go, but if you get stuck, there's a diagnostic utility that will list everything hooked into your machine and the vendor ID so you might be able to track down some more info about it.

12. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

It'll show up as an unknown USB device in XP unless you have the driver for it. Vista would probably be more plug n play compatible.
    As Tim suggests, my first thought was to try all the USB ports.. if there is no conflicts then you're going to have to hunt down the chipset id or something within the hardware which the OS can grab onto to id it and assign to for functionality.

If you bought it off eBay, you could shoot the vendor or whoever sold it to you - (where ever it was from) a query as to who the manufacturer is (if they even know) but again what LT advises as far as a diagnostic to ID the hardware would likely be the course of action here.

13. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

I've tried all the ports and it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port with appropriate chipset drivers installed.

The thing that annoys me is that every other one of these things I bought worked straight away. This one works on all the other computers. :(

How would I investigate this Resource Conflicting option?

Which Diagnostic would this be as well which indicates all interfaced devices?

14. Lord Tim

Ahh, that's an important bit of info: can you confirm that it works on all of the other computers you've tried it on?

15. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

It works on all the other computers in the house.

What I have done recently in order to get more RAM for my computer was switched motherboards with another computer in the house as the DDR2 RAM I purchased before didn't work in the board of my Pentium D.

I now have a Core 2 Duo with 3GB of RAM.

Before I switched motherboards over, it still wouldn't work. I have installed a fresh version of Windows as I had some trouble when transferring between the two machines. My windows is fresh and yet still have this problem.

Could there be conflicts with the IRQs that could be doing this?

I have 4 USB ports and there are appears to be 5 USB Root Hubs on this machine? Is that normal? I thought there would only be 2.

16. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

Ok, I'm having a bitch of a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Basically, when I open a folder via desktop, everything inside is in alphabetical/numerical order, the way I want it. But if I open up the same folder window, only via a program, such as Winamp or Mozilla when I'm choosing to open a file, all the files appear in opposite order, so Z's first and so on. If I do the normal right click and arrange items in alphabetically order, it does it, but only for that folder and if I close it and open it again, it reverts back.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

17. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

I dont have all that much experience with these, but one thing i would do is ensure that i have connected it to one of the USB ports attached to the motherboard directly (just under the PS/2 ports). I have found that these usually give a little more juice than the front ports on your case, or even PCI expansion cards.

You mentioned it worked on Vista? Or on other machines in your house? I would take a look at how it is represented in Devie Manager on one of the working machines. You can take a look at the installed driver properties and see either the manufacturer/version etc and even the file being used.

With that information - if you can obtain it - you can either copy the file over to your problematic machine and point the driver install to it, or check if you have that file already on the problematic machine (perhaps you have an older version.)

One last thing i would do if possible is connect the device to a point of it being unable to locate a driver and then connect to Windows Update...believe it or not, i have had success with this before.

18. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

Thank you a bundle LT, you are a living legend. Worked like a charm. Thanks Charvel dude too.

19. Charvelguy

Charvelguy Member

in the shadow of LT really, he's Lord geek so props are his but cheers!

20. Lord Tim

See, all those years of getting teased at school for hiding out in the computer room are now paying off! :p