This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

A minor clock would be best then. Pushing beyond 10% will likely shorten your CPU lifespan. Problem with i7 atm is that there is little choice in manufacturer and most parts are at a premium. In terms of RAM, if you're not going to clock hard save yourself a few dollars if poss. also stay well back from the bleeding edge of CPU and mildly overclock to save a few (hundred) dollars. Spending on velociraptors will make a big difference to your perceived performance. Try not to buy before July (and get Vista business or premium) so that you get a free upgrade to Windows 7. Also it will give time for the i7 gear to come down in price.

I'm looking at putting 15 x i7-based whiteboxes into the company I work for but I'm not doing it until 2010. We've already spec'd them similar to what you are contemplating (though as they are work desktops we're only putting in a small 10krpm drive). Our working budget is $1,500 per box (no screens) so obviously we are expecting price drops prior to December!!

2. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Is the Vista to Win7 free upgrade a known thing now? I ask because the minority of my clients who use XP want to upgrade due to some of their apps requiring things only Vista has. I keep telling them to hold off.

3. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

It's been posted in quite a few respected online computer forums... TechArp has supposedly got hold of a copy of the DRAFT notice to OEMs that Micro$oft sent last year...

Overview Of The Windows 7 Upgrade Program

The Windows 7 Upgrade Program is designed to assist Microsoft's OEM partners in minimizing the number of end users who may postpone acquiring a new computer because of the impending release of the Windows 7 operating system. This program allows OEMs to offer an upgrade to Windows 7 to end users who qualify.

This is a consumer-oriented program targeted at individual consumers and small businesses that have purchased eligible PCs during the Program Eligibility Period. End users will have to meet these requirements to be deemed eligible for the upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released :

* End users must purchase a new PC that is pre-installed with an eligible Windows Vista Operating System (OS), during the program eligibility window.

* The PC must have a valid Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached.

* The only Windows Vista® versions eligible for the program are :
    1. Windows Vista® Home Premium
    2. Windows Vista® Business
    3. Windows Vista® Ultimate
    * Microsoft Windows Vista® Home Basic, Windows Vista® Starter Edition, and Windows® XP (all editions) are not qualifying products under the program.

* The Program does not support multiple upgrades for medium, large, or enterprise customers. Customers that want to upgrade multiple PCs should use the appropriate Microsoft Volume Licensing program. See www.microsoft.com/licensing for more details.

* The following are the only valid upgrade paths under the program :
    1. Windows Vista® Home Premium -> Windows® 7 Home Premium
    2. Windows Vista® Business -> Windows® 7 Professional
    3. Windows Vista® Ultimate -> Windows® 7 Ultimate

Do note that this is an optional program, so not all OEMs may choose to participate. OEMs that choose to participate in this upgrade program will have the freedom to determine how to best provide qualifying end users with the details.

4. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

By the looks of it, that is just a 'you've just purchased vista, and now 7 comes out, here, have a free upgrade rather than having to buy 2 OSs in quick succession' thing. I don't think it'll have an effect on many people, really. Microsoft certainly aren't making 7 automatically free for anyone with Vista.

5. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Yep, that's why I said don't buy before July- which is when it's supposed to kick in. But for heaven's sake make SURE that the deal applies to the machine you buy if you're going to hold off purchasing for that reason. M$ might change their tune or the start date at any time.

6. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Thanks. i7 motherboards at the moment are horribly expensive. I'm hoping more consumer friendly ones will be available soon but who knows when that will happen. The RAM info is interesting. I wasn't going bleeding edge but I was certainly looking at 6gb. I avoided getting OEM software on home purchases in the past but this will probably be my first so thanks for the heads up on UPgrade process is good.

7. matt2006

matt2006 Member

Hey people... I'm know absolutely nothing about the technical side of computers at all, so hopefully my 'problem' is easily solvable (if you could even call it a problem).

I run ProTools 7.4 on Vista, and every time i load it up this pops up-

[​IMG]

I have no idea wtf this means, so I click no and ProTools loads up and works just fine. Should i worry about this or just leave it?

Secondly when I start a new project and save it to an external drive, I get this (nothing happens when i just save it to the computers hard drive)-

[​IMG]

As above, no idea what this means, if protools never lets you saveo n external drive or its just mine and i need to change something.

As i said before, i'm a complete and utter n00b so any help at all would be appreciated.

And to clarify, ProTools works fine and doesnt seem to have any problems whatsoever so i'm just wondering if its anything i need to worry about or just crap.

8. Rick

Rick Senior User

What is your external HDD named?

9. matt2006

matt2006 Member

LaCie, havent changed the name. I've tried it with a couple of drives and it says the same thing.

10. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I've been having problems watching DVD's on my PC. Each time I try to watch a region 4 DVD it says my decoder isn't installed properly and it can't play the media.

Whats the best solution for this problem?

Should I delete Windows Media Player 11 and re-download it, or do I need to install an update to fix the problem?

Thank you,

11. harrisbass

harrisbass Ignorant Plucker

Sometimes WMP gets weird with codecs, it's fine as a music organiser but pretty crappy for video.

Try VLC Media Player - www.videolan.org - usually handles anything I throw at it :)

12. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Thanks man, this is a great player. Now I can watch all my Jackie Chan movies. :kickass:

13. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

thinking about doing a system restore on my ASUS laptop because after a certain period of time (between 5 and 20 minutes) I can't access most web based programs (unless they are like trillian and have been running constantly) and all my web browser (including IE) either hang or refuse to load up.
    tried it without the firewall installed

so, was wondering if the system restore kills everything and you have to reinstall the majority of your program or if it patches things up?
    just need to know so I can download the EXE files so I can reinstall right away.

and if it doesn't work, don't know if I have to return the lappy for a working one or just wait for Windows 7 to come out for the upgrade, because should be able to scam a copy from friends or work.

14. Rick

Rick Senior User

The beta version of Windows 7 is pretty stable.

15. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

We've just bought a house, and i need to change ISP's.

It's between iinet and TPG ADSL at the momtent.

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with either of these?

or... can anyone recommend another good adsl provider?

16. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I'm with iiNet. They're danged good. My mate has TPG and reckons they go offline for 10-30 minutes at a time. TPG have much more generous download limits though.

On another note, can anyone recommend one of those IP address masking programs (one that's easy to use)? I'd like to be able to pretend I'm in the UK so I can watch streaming tv on sites like bbc.co.uk.

17. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I'm using iiNET naked DSL. I'm paying about $60 per month including all home phone calls. I only need a 2Gb plan though. It's flaked once in four months but nothing serious or prolonged. I'm very happy with it- particularly the cost!

18. Rick

Rick Senior User

Sounds hot ;)

19. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Take a look at adsl2exchanges.com.au to see what is available on your local exchange

If it wasn't already blatantly obvious - avoid Telstra.

InterNode, iiNet, TPG are all good.

20. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Oops- I need to qualify that statement- with Naked DSL I only pay for calls to mobiles and international calls from my home phone. Everything else is free 24x7. Plus you don't pay line rental. The only downside is that if the power fails your home phone won't work. In my opinion that's no problem because I have a mobile. I'm on a $49.95 plan which gives me 2Gb+2Gb (on and off peak) plus the VOIP calls. Another $10 would put me up to 8Gb plus 8Gb but I've only blown the 2Gb quota once so far 'cause I don't download much.