This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Controversial opinions on metal

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by The Ozzman, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

Was waiting for that one.

2. Saparmurat_Niyazov

And water is wet.

3. skeptik

skeptik Member

:lol:

4. Bitencourt29

Bitencourt29 Member

Their albums are all great, really. Even their split with Martial Barrage is worth checking.

5. Dak

Dak mentat

This.

6. King Richard

King Richard Against the wind...

Great if you like shitty metal.

7. Balls McHoolihan

Balls McHoolihan You mean coitus?

I'm pretty sure "Shitty Metal" is another sub-genre.

8. rms

rms Active Member

Can't support them racist bastids personally.

9. LuminousAether

LuminousAether My name is Distance

Hey guys, quick word with you all. Melodeath not only IS the same style of music as melodic death, all melodeath is is a truncation of the term melodic death. You can try to create this retrospective deal where melodeath refers to something else but that's the most asinine, peurile form of genre snobbery and is fucking retarded to boot. Melodeath and melodic death are not different forms of music. They are the same thing and in fact they are the same term.

BTW, Intestine Baalism's generic brutal vocals ruin the entire band.

10. skeptik

skeptik Member

Shut the fuck up you faggot. Yes, it is literally a truncation of the term 'melodic death metal'. But the term 'melodeath' is widely used informally to refer to music erroneously classified as death metal. Obviously melodic metal must also be death metal in order for it to be melodic death metal. Get the fucking anal retentive bug out of your ass already. Or better yet, go back into hibernation like you always do after a couple weeks of posting.

11. EffigyForgotten

EffigyForgotten New Metal Member

What the fuck are you talking about? What could melo-death possibly mean other than melodic death metal?

12. LuminousAether

LuminousAether My name is Distance

No, this community might have some insular idea that melodeath refers to something other than the typical melodic death style but that's not widespread at all. Melodeath is widely used as a shortening of melodic death, period.

13. SomeGuyDude

SomeGuyDude My name is sorrow.

Any time a response starts off with calling you a "faggot" it means you can just ignore their dumbass opinion. You're correct about melodeath, that dude's an idiot.

14. skeptik

skeptik Member

It's a pretty obvious fallacy that ad hominems negate an entire argument, and you're clearly a stupid fucking faggot for thinking otherwise.

Whether or not you are aware of the widespread usage of the phrase 'melodeath' as a shorthand for bands that are wrongly classified as death metal (Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Northern, Kalmah, most of In Flames' material and all of the bands it influenced), it has been in usage for many years. It is informal, but it exists, and it is useful. On this forum in particular, it has been widely discussed and agreed upon as a shorthand, and regulars are familiar with its usage as an understanding of separating Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum from Eucharist and Unanimated. That's all it is, and to make a big deal about it is absurd.

Edit: By way of comparison, it is the equivalent of distinguishing traditional American power metal from later melodic/progressive European power metal with the term 'flower metal'. Thoroughly informal, but also widely used and recognized. The only difference being that melodeath is also a literal shorthand of the term from which it is differentiated.

15. Saparmurat_Niyazov

16. SomeGuyDude

SomeGuyDude My name is sorrow.

A person who resorts to ad hominem attacks before even making an actual argument is a person who has a limited intellect and, like someone who starts off a political discussion by saying "both parties are controlled by the Reptilians, but...", it's a clear indication that I can disregard what comes after that statement and just move on with my life. Thus far I've lost nothing through this policy.

17. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

He is likely the second to last person here that you could use that as a valid criticism against.

18. skeptik

skeptik Member

There's a difference between resorting to an ad hominem and throwing in an ad hominem out of annoyance. You seriously have to be retarded if you think adding in an ad hominem to a good argument makes it a worse argument or that taking one out makes it better. Likewise, automatically assuming that the guy that doesn't literally call somebody a name but nonetheless thoroughly, albeit passive-aggressively insults the person is foolish. What you said is childish and literally the extreme form of "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all".

19. TheInsane

TheInsane Member

Outside of the discussion that spawned this post I havent ever heard of the distinction between melodeath and melodic death metal. Not online and not IRL. Not saying some use it but it sure isnt widespread. For me its the same thing though - I never saw a distinction. There is obviously bands that lean more on the melodic and heavy metal side and bands that lean more on the death metal side of things.

Im guessing you are scandinavian by the username that you use. In swedish I use the terms in the same way, to mean the same thing - "melodöds", "melodisk döds" and "melodisk dödsmetall".

20. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

It is quite prominent in every metal community I've ever been a part of.