This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Controversial opinions on metal

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by The Ozzman, Mar 17, 2008.

1. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Melted by feels

Found it on Wiki: Belew also plays guitar and KC never had a second guitar before. Probably why it sounds fuller

CiG likes this.
  2. Sirjack

Sirjack Stinkupuss

Big KC fan boy here. l love the first 8 albums up to Beat really. mid 80's KC blows but they came back superbly with Thrak.
    Other favourite prog stuff - Gentle Giant, Brand X, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Gong (especially with Alan Holdsworth) Ayers Rock, UK
    Lenny White solo stuff blah blah blah

3. Phylactery

Phylactery Active Member

That's because With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness is massively inconsistent in quality. "The Break of Autumn" and "Primal Breath" are among the most inventive, passionate and breathtaking death metal songs I've ever heard. The drop in quality after "Primal Breath" is hugely noticeable. The following songs blend into an incoherent mess and they don't flow very well, despite having some interesting ideas in them. The production on it also doesn't suit some of the thrashier numbers, what with its razor thin guitar tone and thick layer of fuzz. Old Waind's is a huge fanboy of this album, so you're not alone.

The Red in the Sky is Ours is undoubtedly the superior record, not only because it's more consistent, but also I think it reaches higher peaks at its best (see "Kingdom Gone", "Through Gardens of Grief", "Within" and "Neverwhere"). I agree about the production on it, it's very fitting for the record and original. Originality is the name of this incredible record.

4. MrTagoMago

MrTagoMago Member

Strawberry fields forever is my fav Beatles track and one of my favorite songs period tbh.

5. no country for old wainds

it's my favourite beatles song too. the version on LOVE is well worth seeking out if you haven't heard it.

6. MrTagoMago

MrTagoMago Member

I'll look it up didn't know there was another version of it.

While on the subject of the Beatles I'll say what tends to be a controversial opinion. I don't think Sgt Peppers is at all an overrated album and while it's certainly not my favorite album ever I'm fine with it being considered the greatest album ever. Revolver on the other hand I do find overrated and while it's a great album overall I do find it to be be one of the less enjoyable Beatles albums. Also I do not agree with the notion that The White album should've been slimmed down I think it's a great listen from Beggining to end.

Also The Yellow Submarine, Bungalow Bill, Octopuses Garden, and Maxwells Silver Hammer are all great songs.

7. CiG

CiG Harbinger of Metal

I'll take Let It Be and self titled for my own favourites by them.

8. MrTagoMago

MrTagoMago Member

By Self titled do you mean White album? I can't really pick a favorite between Sgt Pepper, Magical Muster Tour, White album, and Abbey Road but I'd probably say Magical Mystery Tour is the one I enjoy most consistently.

9. no country for old wainds

i strongly dislike SGT. PEPPER'S but it's hardly gonna be the most overrated album of all time in a universe where DARK SIDE OF THE MOON exists now is it

WITH THE BEATLES will always be my favourite despite the saggy centre and relative lack of ambition. much more likeable band before they got too big for their boots. there are exceptions i really like on nearly every album though. RUBBER SOUL or MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR would be my favs of their more acclaimed period, and maybe the white album which i haven't heard in ages.

10. CiG

CiG Harbinger of Metal

Dark Side > Sgt. Peppers

Yeah, "white album" I really like it. But I think I prefer Let It Be over all.

11. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

The White Album is my fave, closely followed by Revolver. Sgt. Peppers is definitely overrated. A Day in the Life is amazing though.

CiG likes this.
  12. Elric of Melniboné

Elric of Melniboné The White Wolf

The Beatles are a band that I find to be severely overrated, but when they get it right, they do it in a big way. They're just very inconsistent.

13. CiG

CiG Harbinger of Metal

Basically my feeling too.

14. Elric of Melniboné

Also the producer George Martin was just as vital to any successes or ideas they had as any member of the band.

15. MrTagoMago

MrTagoMago Member

That's why he's called the 5th Beatle.

I could hardly think them inconsistent but I can see why certain songs wouldn't appeal to everyone.

16. MrTagoMago

MrTagoMago Member

While Dark Side of the Moon isn't one of my favorite albums anymore I have to say it is the kind of album that just feels iconic in every sense from the album art to the music.

Most overrated band ever is Radiohead.

17. Baroque

Baroque Active Member

Rolling Stones are super overrated

crimsonfloyd likes this.
  18. rusty water

rusty water Member

I agree the Rolling Stones are super-overrated. I would imagine the Beatles were very big in their day, their era was 3 or 4 decades ago! For a band to be still spoken about, and on a Metal forum, shows their power.They were excellent songwriters whom learned their craft the hard way, and writing the songs was no accident, they knew what was efficacious. A different type of music to today and people today could`nt write songs in that style as good as the Beatles anymore.

Aye, Radiohead are shyte.

19. Elric of Melniboné

The Beatles have a lot of songs that are pretty formulaic and/or boring that even they acknowledged were throwaways.

TechnicalBarbarity likes this.
  20. Return to Serenity

Return to Serenity The Sultan of Slosh

Sorry to change topic but..

Maybe this isn't controversial but Apollo Papathanasio fucking sucks. I'm not familiar with his past projects.. but Spiritual Beggars have been one of my favorite bands for years and this guy hasn't impressed me at all since he joined. And it sucks because the last two SB albums have been amazing musically but his singing just makes me cringe. He has no range, always seems to be singing at the same strained pitch. Basically doing a piss poor Ian Gillan impersonation and failing miserably. Amott needs to get a real singer again.

#36260 Return to Serenity, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016