This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Covering Symphony X Vocals

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by PrgrsveMetalnChains, Jan 4, 2011.

1. PrgrsveMetalnChains

PrgrsveMetalnChains Vocal Prince

Was bored and thought I would try my luck at a rough cover of Paradise Lost.

It's only one take and I was rushed but I thought it'd be fun for maybe some feedback for future covers or something...

Here ya go!

#1 PrgrsveMetalnChains, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. madeku

madeku New Metal Member

pretty good man. more.. technique sounds fine, not as much emotion tho. that's a bitch to do tho :) this is prolly the only SX song i could sing myself :p all Russel's stuff is usually to high, or in a dead space in range

3. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

^ I second that. Nicely done. :)

4. PrgrsveMetalnChains

PrgrsveMetalnChains Vocal Prince

Thanks a bunch for the comments and critique. Helps me improve greatly.

Here's another one I did, a few rough parts because I didn't warm up my voice but I think its alright.

Rediscovery Part II.

#4 PrgrsveMetalnChains, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. Thudd

Thudd Member

Not bad! Biggest problem is that on a lot of the big notes it sounds like you've got nowhere left to go whereas RA is only at mid-throttle. Mind you, if the worst criticism I can come up with is "You're not Russell Allen" then you're doing about 1,000x better than I can do! ;)

Let me qualify what I mean though. At 1:08 on PL with the "love must die" lyric, you sing "die" too strongly, there's too much dynamic difference between there and the proceeding lines. So it sounds like you're having to belt out a diva note in order to sing it, whereas RA's version is much more effortless. I hope I've explained it without trying to sound like a know-all??

6. Sep3

Sep3 Member

Really nice. I really like the headvoice parts and wide vibrato. Maybe use them more and forget about trying to imitate Russell? ;)