This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

critique my first mix!

Discussion in 'Production' started by roley, Apr 4, 2014.

1. roley

roley New Metal Member

hi everybody,

this band is my client. I'm a beginner. i want to know what you think about this mix, what i can fix!

i have really problems to mix a bass drop. what can i do that the rest of the song don't fucked up?
    thanks for helping!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6626296/illusions_v10.mp3

Roley

2. TBlackfeet

TBlackfeet Member

This is pretty damn good for a first mix, or at least a hell of a lot better than my first mixes.

But instantly the first thing I notice, that snare is hella muddy, high pass it if you didn't already and cut around 200Hz~. That's probably what's clipping it too.
    Personally, there's just a little too much reverb on the vocals for my taste, I'd say to take it down a notch.
    Don't worry about 'mixing' the bass drop, I just stick it in there and don't worry about it, the whole point being there to add the punch AND let it drive the master a little for that explosive effect, BUT this is all done in the sub-bass region, which is where your drops aren't focused, so bring the synth or whatever you're using for it down an octave.
    Other than that, the tom's don't have a whole lot of body and the bass guitar's burying the kick, try to balance those a little more.

Can't really complain otherwise, it sounds pretty kickass, keep it up!