This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Critique my mix (Merkaba)

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by AugmentRecordings, Aug 5, 2016.

1. AugmentRecordings

AugmentRecordings Luc Chiasson (Merkaba)

Hey everyone, looking for some advice on a mix I did. The song was mastered by Troy Glessner at Spectre Studios and although I'm proud of how far I've come, I'm always looking to improve! The song is my bands debut single so my objectivity is a little skewed :p

https://merkabaofficial.bandcamp.com/

2. MrBongo

MrBongo idiot at work

the bass has lots of low-end, which I like a lot :)
    However, in the end you went for maximum loudness, and reducing that low-end by ~2dB helps with master bus distortion

AugmentRecordings likes this.
  3. H-evolve

H-evolve Member

Disclaimer : I'm not a pro, I just listen to a lot of music and I'm learning to mix myself.

I like it. Sounds well mixed, I like the balance between the guitars and the bass. Everything sounds to its place. What guitar amp was used? Just curious? 6505?

Maybe I'd go with a small comment on the snare. In my very humble opinion, its sound could be improved. Hard for me to point out what is wrong, but it's lacking some kind of a snap, it's not agressive enough. Could very well be that the drummer was too soft on the snare?

4. AugmentRecordings

AugmentRecordings Luc Chiasson (Merkaba)

Thanks! It's actually an Axe FX II with a blend of the 6505 and Bogner Uberchall models. Drums were actually programmed (guilty) but I do agree the snare got a little bit crushed by mastering. My mixes these days are a little different than this one so the snare is less squashed from the limiter.