This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

current best selling progressive bands

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Cheiron, Oct 7, 2009.

1. AeonicSlumber

Pretty much. :lol:

2. AeonicSlumber

I actually take offense to this. Considering the talentless crap you have been jocking, you have a lot of nerve to accuse us (people who like Muse) of not having taste dude.

3. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

I have no idea how on an underground music forum, people use CD sales figures to justify how good a band is (IE - MUSE in this case).

As someone pointed previously with MASTODON, they have the machine working for them. (IE - MTV, Radio airplay, Guitar Hero).

I am certainly not suggesting that a band is NOT a good band, based on heavy promotion. What I am suggesting though is that just because you sold a large number of units does not automatically justify greatness.

4. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

Who is saying that they're good because they sell lots of albums?
    I don't see a single post in this topic claiming that. At all.

5. SharkBlack

SharkBlack Member

Muse - The Resistance is a great new album... Can't stop listening to it...

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

Muse is a good band, but I wouldn't remotely call them progressive.

7. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

The only reason I know they exist is that they're on tour with U2 in the US right now. Otherwise I would have never heard of them. U2 is the only mainstream band I still follow (well, I follow Rush, if you call them "mainstream").

Edit: Watched a couple of those YouTube videos... typical British alternative/modern rock stuff. Nothing unique, very generic.

8. mitchgx

mitchgx Tired and Irritable

Funny, I think they are one of the most distinctive bands out there right now....you can identify pretty much any Muse song within the first few seconds. There's nothing "typical" about them, IMO.

9. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

Totally agree with that! Love this band though they're more alternative prog rock in my mind. Whatever, I hate the genre hair splitting. I didn't even mind when they used some drum playback stuff on a song or two they last recorded. It sounded cool as hell. They do some really creative percussion stuff.

Porcupine Tree is my number one current best-seller for prog-metalish. They were awesome at Terminal 5 a few weeks ago. Gavin's a tight but somehow monstrous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

This thread goes to prove the upper echelon snob mentality of the Prog people....

11. Jibrille

Jibrille Member

Yeah, I guess we should all start writing a band off based on a sentence from their wikipedia article to get rid of our snobbery.

Oh wait.

12. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Excuse me? I have EVERYTHING you can imagine in my iPod to give you an idea... From Hammerfall to Pain of Salvation, from Sinatra to Rihanna, from Beyonce to Muse, from Immortal to fucking bossa nova. I really hope you're not talking about me. Afterall, it wasn't me who snobbed a band based on their description on Wikipedia.

But if you're not, then just disregard this post. :heh:

Look at your posts dude. Look at your behavior talking about Muse. "Welcome to the vomit party" or whatever... "So was Britney but she didn't do anything blah blah blah..." Seriously, who's acting like a snob here?

You are.

13. AeonicSlumber

No, if anything it proves that you need to open your mind a bit more and listen to more than just metal. I listen to waaayyy more than just prog.

14. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

Anyone ever see the Maiden video where they do that exact thing? Hilarious!

15. Wyvern

Wyvern Master of Disaster
    Staff Member

Out of curiosity is betselling a relevant factor? Because from those in the list I only care for Rush (and not the entire catalog) and Dream Theater (which lately tries very hard to piss me off). So leaving the money factor aside what about:

The Flower Kings
    The Tangent
    Darkwater
    Twinspirits
    Waterclime
    Planet X
    Derek Sherinian
    Karmakanic
    Agents Of Mercy
    Seventh Wonder
    Redemption
    Edensong
    Tetrafusion
    Scale The Summit
    LoNero
    Transatlantic
    Ayreon
    Beyond The Labyrinth
    Dunwich
    Time's Forgotten

16. Soundscape

Soundscape Member

if only dredg were the highest or even higher in sales than they are.

the word progressive creates more arguments than solutions. I swear. Call it whatever you like. If you think Muse sucks, good for you. If you think Muse is good, but they don't sound like the prog or progressive you like and others describe them as, fine.

And if you like them, and don't really care how they are described, good for you too.

Higher sales does =/= superior quality. But it can = influence and longevity. If Muse ends up having a longer career and influencing a lot more bands you like, the number of albums they've sold is worth something just for that itself.

Also, I'd say Radiohead is the largest in terms of sales among the artists I and many others describe as "alt-prog" or anything described as progressive rock, that's an artist that formed since 1990.

Mind you, I happen to not like Radiohead, but would never deny their influence or level of success.

Tool is probably 2nd, and also from a personal standpoint, they are another band who I respect their influence but am not a fan of.

17. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

i would say they are more "alternative" than anything else. it's not like when they decided to do electronic music it hadn't been done before. it had. don't mistake me "The Bends" was the best rock album released the year it came out, hands down.

i really like Muse, but they want to be bombastic like Queen so then how could they be called progressive? they aren't really, they are an amazing rock band i will surely give them that since i own all their CDs.

18. booB

booB Señor Member

Reading this thread is like banging my head against a wall repeatedly, except that, in this case, aspirin doesn't make the pain go away.

19. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Relevant to what? Relevant to the question? Yes. Relevant to personal taste? Of course not.

20. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

I think it's only relevant given the original question/reason for this post. "Who are the best selling prog bands nowadays..."