This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

current best selling progressive bands

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Cheiron, Oct 7, 2009.

1. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

On the upper left hand corner of your browser, there's a button that reads "Back".

:lol:

2. Jibrille

Jibrille Member

This makes absolutely no sense. By your requirements for calling something prog there's probably less than 10 artists and/or bands you could call progressive throughout the entirety of music history as very rarely is anyone ever doing anything that hasn't been done at some point.

I've heard Tool referred to as high school prog. Stuff that you grow up thinking is extremely deep and introspective until you learn better. :lol:
    And just so the prog snob stuff doesn't get brought up because of that comment, this was from people who listen to anything that gets a positive review from Pitchfork (so they probably originally heard the phrase used on Pitchfork)
    They have a few songs I really like (especially whenever Sober comes on at last call) but overall not something I listen to. Their live show is actually really good though and worth checking out even if you're not much of a fan.

Muse is also a love hate thing with me. I absolutely love some of their songs but hate others and there's rarely any middle ground (still need to check out the new CD). We actually used one of their songs for our wedding highlight video. Sadly there wasn't an appropriate Kamelot song to choose.

3. jhallum

jhallum Computer guy

It's been said (and it's pretty true, IMO) that Dream Theater's Panic Attack is their attempt at doing something that sounds like Muse.

4. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

Seriously. Metallica Prog? That was the strangest thing I've read on this forum in... at least a day or two.

The OP was merely asking the question, who is the best selling, not necessarily equating quality and CD sales. But to your point, sales can seem as relevant to a discussion on music as what color sneakers the producer was wearing when he mixed the bass tracks.

Zod

5. mark b

mark b Prog 4 ever. Australia!!!

I know a hell of alot of bands who should have sold their fair share but didn't, IE, Lemur Voice, Greyhaven, Payne's Gray, Koyaanisqatsy, Altura, Power Of Omens. Such is the life of the Progressive artist!!

6. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

My thoughts. Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, ...and Justice For All was some pretty progressive thrash metal for its time. So was Kill 'Em All in parts. Then they went more AOR/Arena, and now are going back to more extended songs with more extended instrumentals, but I don't think I can consider them now, as a whole, progressive. I'm not the only one who has made such an observation about Metallica, so its not that strange, I think, when you truly consider it.

7. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Mudvayne might need to be added to the list. I think. I don't know their music well enough. But people said a certain Dream Theater song sounded a lot like Mudvayne, yet that song was definitely progressive. Wikipedai says that Mudvayne is technical. Maybe I should check them out. Dislike what I've heard of theirs on the radio, pretty sure I've listened to one of their albums and thought it was mediocre radio-fair.

8. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

I would definitely call Mudvayne technical, but not sure I'd say they're progressive. A lot of people seem to get the two terms confused. Prog and Technical.

All things technical are not necessarily progressive just as prog doesn't need to be technical.

9. General Zod

So, is anyone who deviates in the slightest from the most obvious of song frameworks said to have Prog elements? Is every Metal band ever, save Poison and Brittany Fox, Prog? I'm only being half sarcastic. What constitutes a Prog element or tendency? And at what point does simply having a Prog element or tendency qualify you as a full fledged Prog band?

Zod

10. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

I think the notion of Prog has become a little bit misinterpreted over the last few years. I agree with you, it seems that any band that does something consider "different" than the norm for their genre, are considered progressive in a way or another. I am not going to be a hypocrite and say I don't ever do that. There are bands that are just not typical within a genre and I've said they're progressive in a way. It's tough because progressive really means a bunch of different things to a bunch of different people.

11. end

end الموت للدين

Coheed & Cambria are amazing. That is all.

12. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

I've argued elsewhere that this distinction becomes almost impossible when you consider that many metal bands are 'progressive' in comparison to late 60s early 70s garage rock.

You can attack it two ways. In comparison to a band's immediate musical family, are they progressive? Or, do they have enough progressive characteristics, such as meter changes, technicality, high concepts, long songs, dynamics, etc.

p.s. attaching 'progressive' to something doesn't make it an indication of quality, but if anything, an indication of its placement in the art world.

13. RiffDaemon

RiffDaemon Member

You don't have to be a "I listen to only Metal" kind of person to not know who the Hell Muse are. I listen to the local Atlanta classic-rock station, Athens' hard rock station, and whatever the Hell my girlfriend's got playing on her radio (she listens to pretty much everything), and I've never heard of Muse.

So, ease up on VenomGA :) .... .... unless you're roasting him on prog-snob comments :lol:

14. General Zod

Actually, had I not heard a Muse song during a Rescue Me episode that piqued my curiosity, I would have no idea who they are. I don't listen to radio, don't watch MTV and discover most new music through forums, where bands like Muse aren't part of the typical discussion.

Zod

15. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

but being a LIONS fan wouldn't you already be used to banging your head against a wall repeatedly? hahaha, i am kidding. i am a redskins fan and yes, i am still crying.

16. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

hey man, it's BRITNY FOX! don't f*ck that up again! hahaha. ;)

17. Wyvern

Wyvern Master of Disaster
    Staff Member

Your thoughts and I respect that, but I disagree totally. They were pretty standard thrash and not as pure as Testament, Heathen, Hallows Eve, Atrophy to name a few (my belief of course).

Now for progressive or technical thrash I can quote easily: Coroner, Hexenhaus, Anacrusis, Forte and Mekong Delta as great bands in this sub-genre.

18. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

I think I agree with you. As I mentioned, I really wasn't sure about putting it there. I knew there would be some contention with it, and was hoping to see what others thought. And at this point I think I agree with you.

19. General Zod

:lol:

Zod

20. Soundscape

Soundscape Member