This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Current favorite amp sim/cab impulses?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by vejichan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. vejichan

vejichan Member

i have deleted everything and currently using overloud TH3 and kazog thermionik/recabinet 5 and ownhammer heavy hitters impulses.

What about you guys?

Vasyl Mishchenko likes this.
  2. Delitzsch

Delitzsch Führendes Mitglied

Haven't tried either of those. But out of the ones I've tried (Amplitube 4, Helix Native, S-gear), S-gear is by far the best. However, I think my Axe-Fx II is miles ahead of amp plugins.

3. xphen0m

xphen0m Member

The Thermionik amp sims are by far my favorite sims at the moment.

For impulses, I'm using the SinMix Impulses (a lot of good stuff there but they take some EQ'ing to get right), and Wall of Sound's stuff.

4. Vasyl Mishchenko

Using freeware - TSE X50V1, Ignite Emissary, Thermionik Serpent, PVDHP sims, Lepou's, Mercuriall stuff along with Sperimental and Kalthallen IRs. Lots of options to choose from, it just depends on the day and the mood.

5. schwinginbatman

schwinginbatman It's shittay!

Thermionik and Sperimental. I have yet to find anything better than Sperimental in terms of impulses.

6. schust

schust Member

I demo'd all the paid ones recently and felt TH3 was the best. But I can never buy any of these - b/c with a little work, the freebies are just to close imo.

For the freebies - always LePou - X50 - and a new one I found recently called "MarsJFDTB1". http://pvamps.blogspot.com/ Obviously modeled after a Marshall. What makes this one interesting is how well it sits in a mix. You have to work at the tone a little, but once you get it - it's not bad. Esp for free.

As for impulses, most the usual. Really been digging the Ryan Harvey pulses that come with x50.

7. nezvers

nezvers Beast

Hands down Thermionic has best sims for me. Every single time I get to try new sim I compare it to Thermionic and I always prefer Thermionic.
    For impulses recabinet is so damn dark and 57 don't have THAT top end bite (kinda miss that even it being hit or miss for me) but at the same time don't have annoying boom on palm muting.
    I'm drooling a bit for Conquer All from JST. Mainly because It comes from Trackmix studio.
    From what I've tried, new Overloud sim has amazing cabs and mic placement thing going on, but since it didn't delivered amp wise for me I'm not getting it just for cabs.

#7 nezvers, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  8. H-evolve

H-evolve Member

I think it comes down to IRs a lot. There are so many very good amp sims, either free or not, but the final tone is so much driven by the quality of the IRs you use, that you can get really good results with any amp, as long as you have good IRs.

That being said, I really like the following amp sims:
    - Thermionik (Framus Cobra, ENGL Savage and Mesa 3CH Rectifier)
    - LePou (ENGL amp and their "Legion")
    - Nick Crow (5150 and 6505 sims)
    - Ignite Emissary (based on their own custom design Emissary tube amp)

The IRs I like to use:
    - 3 Sigma Audio
    - Rosen Digital
    - Wall of Sound
    - Valhall IR (a recent discovery that I really, really like. My go to IR since a couple of days).

9. Matze_axe

Matze_axe Member

I think I testdrived most amp sims by now - still a big fan of Overloud TH3 and just currently fall in love with Amplitube 4, especially their (official licensed Engl Powerball and Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier). Have dozens of IRs as well, mostly digging Ownhammer and Celestion Plus.

I also own Thermionik but I still donÄt love it, sorry. I also dislike it's GUI, although of course this does not affect tone...;-)

10. Gonz

Gonz New Metal Member

I also bought Termionik Serpent but changed to Mercuriall U530 when it went out. You can get almost any sound, a good metal scooped distortion, and has a beautiful interface.
    I also changed my Rosen and 3 Sigma Audio impulses by OwnHammer, but recently discovered The Metal Factory Drums Cabinets Bundle. These impulses have something that I don't find in Ownhammer, I think they are more alive, perhaps they have more "air" in the hi frequencies, but I don't know yet if it has been a one day feeling...

Edit: I have give a new try to all the impulses including Vallhallair. I'm a OwnHammer guy.

#10 Gonz, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  11. Delitzsch

Delitzsch Führendes Mitglied

Just got through demoing Overloud's TH3 and I have to say, "Wow!" Definitely the best amp sim, with S-Gear coming in at 2nd place.

12. Pr0z4kk

Pr0z4kk Member

Vadim Taranov's Supersonic and Kazrog Thermionik for amps. Good ol' S-Preshigh, Rosen Digital's Uberkab and Mesa Oversized, and ENGL IRs that some guy sent me.

13. newamerikangospel

My go to are Emmisary, and Serpent from Thermionik, and will play around with the other ones a little. My go to impulses are Redwirez Marshall g12m set. It is a really good take on greenbacks, and the "basic" set is free!

My plan is to start hybrid reamping with thermionik. I tried it once with my ht5 and nailed the Scar Symmetry Slaves tone.