This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Cyhra - Jesper and Peter's new band

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by Traxan, Aug 27, 2017.

1. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Almost all of them

2. A88

A88 Bottled - really not the worst IF song ever.

Don't know, but it's a shame how LtM solo turned out. Started really good, driving rhythm guitar, groovy drumming and all. 10 seconds later I was expecting a burst of speed, tapping or something, but it just expired and went back to chorus.

3. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Yeah, it's like his guitar ran out of batteries or something :D

4. A88

Fucking EMGs. :)

I must say... Cyhra songs seem to grow on me. Quite the opposite of what new IF stuff does.

Still not convinced about verses and solo ending in LtM, but that intro riff is something like a Clayman/ASOP hybrid and chorus has a nice groove and pop sensibility.

5. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

The music... I like it. The vocals ruin it, but there are some interesting riffs.

6. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

The rythm guitar, during the solo, is pretty interesting, better than the solo itself.

galvanized likes this.
  7. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

After a few listenings I'm starting to like the song, despite the vocals. I think that with some light changes it could've been a great song. Specially the chorus.

8. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

It's not bad, it's actually pretty interesting to me. Previous song was definitely better though.

9. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

I was listening to it (as a background while working) at a high volume and not paying too much attention to the song when I realized that I was starting to like it.

What I'm wondering now is if the final mix is going to be as bad as that on spotify.

10. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

If you guys want a solo that's cut short, look at Cloud Connected. At least Bjorn's part.

11. ciko_gfb

ciko_gfb Anders Fanboy

Just listened the new song LtM. Intro guitars are awesome but the rest was meh. Some parts of guitars are good, vocals not my cup of tea.

12. galvanized

galvanized Member

Yes. As much as we hate on Bjorn for his paint by number wah wah solos, this solo fell totally flat. Had a good rhythm backing, off to a good start, then....nothing? WTF

Everything else about the song is good to me, don’t really see it being worse than Karma. And still better than modern IF as well. But that solo, damn.

13. galvanized

galvanized Member

Yeah. I heard that rhythm guitar and was like “it’s go time!!” and then got let down hard.

14. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

There's nothing wrong with using a wah pedal. It adds expression to the guitar. Maybe he overuses it for your taste, but jesus christ.

15. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Everything's wrong with a wah pedal. Someone should travel into the past and kill the guy who created the wah pedal. I fucking hate the wah-pedal. It's a tool for lazy guitar players that want to hide their mistakes while playing the guitar :p

Fuck, after a few more listenings now I totally like the new song, It has cool old style guitar riffs, it has a lot of energy and now I'm acustomed to Jake's voice, so I find the chorus to be far better from what I first thought.

The only fault is the solo part. It feels incomplete and could've been really interesting. But I read in a review that this happens to.some of the songs. So hopefully they will correct it in future releases, that if the band has a future.

#95 eochaid, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  16. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

That's not to say there isn't abuse of a wah pedal, but a wah pedal is a tool to express yourself through the guitar's tone in realtime.
    It's nice if you want to kind of color your tone but don't have the availability of the pickup selector during your run/playing.

That said, I haven't used one that much, but only because I focus on certain stuff when writing on guitar, and plus it's annoying to fuck with my POD to send MIDI to my DAW to control the Wah plugins.

Most annoying Wah use has to be that fucking Drowning Pool song for me though.

eochaid likes this.
  17. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Leaked at last.

18. A88

Aaaand...?

19. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Music is good. Somewhat melancholic. Vocals... Almost all the choruses follow the same patterns which makes them predictable and boring. Gotta give it some listenings.

20. A88

I'm a bit confused. This album isn't something I would usually listen, but I like most of it.

Musically, it's quite good. I'm glad Jesper found interest to return to his usual melodic self. He really knows how to write great emotional melodies and hit cool chord progressions. There is not much here that is on par with Clayman-Colony material, but still, everything is far above the average.

Second, riffing is not flashy, or fast, or facemelting, but almost every song has some decent rhythm guitar work.

Third, I stand by the stuff I said about their soloing. Occasional nice slow to mid tempo solo just won't do it these days. Well, at least guys from Cyhra make more sense than Bjorn and Niklas in that department.

Bass has some nice lines, electronics are terrible and sometimes beyond annoying, but drumming is quite good. Actually I'm really positive about this guy. He has the skill, and he's good with multiple styles, metal, industrial, pop. He seem capable to go on tour with both death metal band and Beyonce.

Singer can get boring or too mellow at times, but he does a fine, or even great job at other times. Choruses are catchy, but sometimes they can sound a bit samey. Lyrically, album sounds like something Anders would like to write, but Cyhra does it on much more mature level. Grown men, not a bunch of sad scene teens from west coast US.

All things considered, it's a good record. Only one or two songs I dislike (Dead to Me comes to mind) - and those two sound like they're off some random Amaranthe album. Everything else is cool with me. A bit of IF there, but not much. From time to time I get some Avantasia and Evergrey vibes, but they do have their own identity. It will be interesting to see where will they go with the next album.

DE4life and eochaid like this.