This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

David Ellefson rejoins Megadeth

Discussion in 'Bar' started by NicholasDWolfwood, Feb 8, 2010.

1. NicholasDWolfwood

MEGADETH founder and frontman Dave Mustaine has announced the return of original bassist David Ellefson (1983-2002) to the iconic multi-platinum group. This reunion is appropriately timed to MEGADETH's upcoming historic month-long "Rust In Peace" 20th anniversary tour which launches March 1 in Spokane, WA. At these incredibly special shows, MEGADETH will play their landmark, genre-defining 1990 album "Rust In Peace" in its entirety, in addition to other MEGADETH favorites.

"This shows the power of brotherly love and forgiveness," Mustaine says. "David Ellefson belongs in MEGADETH. Next we are going to show you the power of getting your asses kicked...HARD!"

David Ellefson concurs: "This is a huge moment for all of us, band and fans alike. It is a great celebration of the music from one of the biggest landmark albums of our career."

Ellefson will join Mustaine and MEGADETH band members Shawn Drover (drums) and Chris Broderick (guitar) on tour in support of the group's current CD, "Endgame", which has received some of the highest critical accolades of the band's career.

"We'd like to thank James Lomenzo for several years of loyal service on the bass, and wish him the very best," Mustaine adds.

welp...I wonder when drover and broderick are gonna go and marty and nick come back. shouldn't be a matter of time, if dave and junior can be playing toegether again.

2. Genius Gone Insane

Genius Gone Insane http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com

3. Metal Overload

When "Countdown to extinction 20 anniversary tour" begins

4. motomoto

motomoto Member

My bet goes to the Youthanasia tour:p

5. Harry Hughes

Harry Hughes   ‬‬

I like this news.
    I wont lie, I VASTLY prefer Marty's guitar solos over anything Chris contributed to Endgame. It's not that they were bad solos, but they seem a little too fiddly and widdly at times, whereas Marty seems to have this amazing melodic approach that never sounds overly technical

6. Chris_P_Critter

Chris_P_Critter Freeze Tag Assassin

I always thought Ellefson was a great bass player. This is cool.

7. NicholasDWolfwood

I just think it's fucked up that LoMenzo gets kicked to the curb after touring and writing with them for like 4 years or something now, because Junior decided he wanted to come back.

8. Jevil

Jevil Pro Evolution Fucker

Rejoinings are always welcome!

9. J the TyranT

J the TyranT Thats just how it is...

Broderick, while a beast, is no Marty when it comes to just... that STYLE... so I agree with that sentiment, however, I doubt Menza will ever come back.

10. Executioner213

Executioner213 Ultimate Meatbag

I was joking around about this with my buddy. I said "I wonder what the deal was...either Lomenzo wasn't cutting it anymore so Dave went back to what he knew was safe, or he just finally caved in and brought Junior back." He responded with "I know damn well what happened. Mustaine swung through McDucks drive thru to get hooked up with some Meganuggets and saw Junior flippin burgers, at which point his born again christian ideals kicked in and compelled him to give him his old job back. Big Macs Are My Business...and Business Is Good!" and finished it off with "Grease Sells...But Who's Fryin? So Far...So Good...Want Fries? Rust In Cheez?"

11. kaomao

kaomao Member

Marty got style, Chris is the fastest shredder in the world with a melodic sense that most of shredders haven't.
    What do I like the most? Of course style, even thought Chris is great anyway.

12. kaomao

kaomao Member

HAHAHAHAH you're the man
    Big macs are my business and business is good LMAO

13. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

+111111111111111111111111, fucking love that song :headbang:

14. Skinny Viking

Skinny Viking ¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?

Christ

have you tried PLAYING that song? You won't be lovin it, not for quite some time :D

Unfortunately it got added to my "Honey Do" list for my tribute band. Sooooo much shit to remember in that song

15. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Yeah dude, it's one of my favorite songs to play actually, I've been doing it for years :D (one of the few rhythm parts where my alternate picking > downstroke skillz come in handy :cool: )

16. Skinny Viking

FU Marcus! :Smug:

17. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Hey, I'll take any opportunity I can to brag about a rhythm part I'm good at, since there are so few :lol: (for example, as I've mentioned in another thread, pretty much the fastest sustained on-beat galloping I can play is the second riff before the super fast part of Raining Blood :D I guess that's what I get for idolizing Petrucci during most of the really formative years of my playing!)

18. Executioner213

Man, "Rust In Peace - Polaris" isn't even the hard shit on that album. Fuckin "Take No Prisoners" and "Poison Was The Cure" are the benchmarks! ;)

Even "Five Magics" has more fucked up parts in it...

19. Executioner213

Ellefson's comments - http://www.bravewords.com/news/131973

“It literally happened over the weekend,” says the delighted bassist. “And I can hardly believe it myself. There was clearly gonna be a change in the line-up, because James Lomenzo was leaving. Dave (Mustaine) and I talked on the phone, and all the feuds, all the arguments we’ve been having over the years just melted away. It just goes to show what direct contact can achieve!”

According to Ellefson, it was drummer Shawn Drover who instigated the whole thing.

“If you ever need a guy in a band to watch your back, then this is the man. Obviously, I have no clue what happened within the band. But I got a text from Shawn and it just said: ‘If ever there was a time for you and Dave to talk, now is it.’ It’s one of those messages you act on immediately. Typically of Megadeth, things then happened big and fast.

“In all honesty, talking to Dave again was wonderful. It was the right thing at the right time, done in the right spirit.”

20. Skinny Viking

Thats not too hard :)