This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Delving back into the roots of extreme metal

Discussion in 'LotFP' started by Jim LotFP, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Jim LotFP

Jim LotFP The Keeper of Metal

... I think the development of the feelings and the exploration involved with writing Scum have changed the way I think about heavy metal, and I think it has given me different ears as well. I used to buy 'landmark' albums all the time as reference material, even if I knew I hated them. I sold all of that off as I first prepared to move to Finland in 04 (ay ay ay, it's taken this long?).

I think I need to revisit a lot of this earlier stuff. I'm selling off a bunch of random crap around the house to finance this little purchase... here's what I ordered that I'm going to listen to again with new ears when they arrive:

BATHORY: Under the Sign of the Black Mark, Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart

DIAMOND HEAD: The White Album (important to Metallica and Megadeth, they count. :p)

CELTIC FROST: Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, Into the Pandemonium

DEATH: Scream Bloody Gore

HELLHAMMER: Apocalyptic Raids

KREATOR: Endless Pain

MÖTORHEAD: No Sleep Til Hammersmith (OK, I cheated getting a live album)

NIHILIST: Nihilist (yeah, I complained about this in Scum but I this was el-cheapo, just what I needed)

POSSESSED: Seven Churches

SODOM: Persecution Mania/Obsessed by Cruelty

VENOM: Welcome to Hell, Black Metal

Plus some other cheapies:

BLACK SABBATH: Heaven and Hell

PESTILENCE: Testimony of the Ancients

XYSMA: Yeah / First & Magical (hey, I'm in Finland...)

All for 185€ shipping included. There *are* bargains to be found in this country!

2. Occam's Razor

Occam's Razor Andreas - LotFP

The Diamond Head album is very good. It's funny how Metallica got "inspired" by their song structures...What comes to my mind here is Satan's "Court in the Act" - heard that?

3. Jim LotFP

Absolutely. :D

4. BenMech

BenMech student of the d'eh

One band name you seem to be missing is UK's Discharge. I couldn't tell you which album to get. So I presume get the earliest of their catalogue.

5. Jim LotFP

The question is how much relevance they have directly to heavy metal. I don't want to go buying punk albums because Napalm Death wanked to them.

6. Laeth MacLaurie

Laeth MacLaurie New Metal Member

Discharge was a direct influence on almost every first generation extreme metal band, and deeply influential on the whole of exteme metal through that first generation. That influence is most readily apparent on Master/Death Strike, Slayer's Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood, the first three Bathory albums, Sodom's In the Sign of Evil, the first three Kreator releases and the early Brazilian black/death scene (notably Morbid Visions and the Bestial Devastation ep from Sepultura and Sarcofago's I.N.R.I.).

If you want to understand the development of extreme metal, Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing is absolutely essential.

7. Laeth MacLaurie

Key albums missing:

Sodom In the Sign of Evil

Kreator- Flag of Hate

Master- Unreleased 1985 Album (one of the most heavily traded demos of the era)

Death Strike- Fuckin' Death

Sepultura- Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation

Autopsy- Ridden With Disease (compilation of demos from 87/88)

Morbid Angel- Abominations of Desolation

Tormentor- Anno Domini

8. DBB

DBB Member

Oy vey! Calling these bands extreme metal is like calling Lemonheads the extreme candy of the 1960s.

9. Jim LotFP

This is supposed to be included on the Obsessed by Cruelty/Persecution Mania thing, so that's covered.

That's tacked on the Pleasure to Kill album these days but I couldn't get eeevveerryythhhiinnnggg

... I did look up Master at the place I made this order but no luck.

I know I was breaking one of my rules by going through a 'normal' store but these prices were unbelievable. This was on my list to get but it wasn't bargain priced. I was going for as much as possible for as little as possible with this haul.

Looked for but not carried by the shop.

Already well familiar with Morbid Angel (and this release).

Now this one I'd completely forgotten about.

10. Laeth MacLaurie

I'm not sure how you feel about mp3's, but if you want, I can make the Master and Tormentor available for download (both are either OOP or rather difficult to track down). Unfortunately, my copy of Fuckin' Death is an LP and I don't have the equipment to rip it.

11. Jim LotFP

I'm not a fan of mp3... and I don't think tracking this stuff down will be too difficult, I found a couple places to find that Master in just a couple of minutes here. The Tormentor may be a bit harder, but I've got this pile of CDs on the way plus what I'm told is a 20kg box of various demos headed my way, so I think I'm good for the next little while.

12. Jim LotFP

... so what would be a good casual reference to this stuff rather than the Purple/Priest/Scorpions/Accept/Maiden/etc lineage for heavy metal?

13. Occam's Razor

I believe Peaceville had the old Autopsy-stuff released in a digipack format some years ago...I was actually interested only because of SteveDiGiorgio, but still, it is way better than Reifert's later ejaculations with Abscess, Eatmyfuk ("great" name), etc...

14. DBB

DBB Member

I would call a lot of it sloppy, blackened proto-thrash. :) Hell, I probably should revisit some of the stuff listed here since it has been 1987 since I've heard some of those albums. I'll never forget Tom Angelripper screaming, "masturbate to kill myself" for as long as I live though.

15. Occam's Razor

You should definitely learn German to understand stuff like "Die Stumme Ursel" or "Mantelmann"...

16. Laeth MacLaurie

Sodom and Kreator are the only speed metal bands in the list, though I suppose Tormentor still had some superficial speed metal elements.

17. DBB

DBB Member

I saw a "vintage" Pleasure to Kill (1986) shirt the other day, and the backprint informed me that Mille Petrozza played "thrashing guitars." :)

Out of all those what I really need to reacquire and revisit is Sodom Persecution Mania and Agent Orange as well--have not given those a listen in a very long time.

As for modern practitioners of the mid-80s style of some of the albums above, I would strongly recommend Midnight Complete and Total F@#king Midnight and Sauron (unfortunate name choice) Thrash Assault is also a fine concoction drawing on the streams of this era complete with a cover of "Total Death"--nothing innovative, but their insane aplomb carries them over the top and sets them apart from other bands dealing in blackened and barbaric lo-fi attacks based on this era.

18. Laeth MacLaurie

Yeah, 85/86 was when the 'zines and labels figured out it would be a lot easier to sell "thrash metal" to people than "speed metal" or "power metal", neither of which were nerely as nifty as far as labels go. Plus, it had the added bonus of glomming on to an existing subculture (skaters), and its origins were outside the range of interests of most metalheads, so no one was around to call them on the deception.

19. Jim LotFP

This is what I get for attempting to save money buying from a "regular store":

Email from CDON, translated by the wife:

"Dear Susanna Raggi,

We would like to notify you that that the merchandise in your order has been delayed.

We unfortunately can not give you an exact delivery date, but assure you that you will get your merchandise as soon as possible.

The delivery delay is for the following products:
    1555748202, Kreator - Endless Pain
    1555601787, Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients
    1555780855, Death - Scream Bloody Gore
    1555743918, Xysma - Yeah/First And Magical + Bonus
    1555088932, Sodom - In The Sign Of Evil/obsessed By Cru
    1555748056, Nihilist - Nihilist
    1555736497, Motörhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith
    1555740233, Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
    1555649710, Diamond Head - The White Album
    1555604179, Possessed - Seven Churches
    1555632216, Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
    1555649134, Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
    1555748187, Celtic Frost - Into The Pandemonium
    1555674669, Venom - Black Metal
    1555632210, Bathory - Hammerheart
    1555674668, Venom - Welcome To Hell
    1555649120, Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
    1555632209, Bathory - Blood Fire Death
    1555649121, Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

The merchandise below will be sent today:

You only pay one shipping cost per order, no matter how many shipments the order is sent in..."

blah blah.

That's right, low prices, NOTHING ACTUALLY IN STOCK. Holy fuckin' fuckity fuck, that is LAME.

One order canceled. Coming up this week, a trip to Kråklund to get most of this stuff at least at a slightly higher price with much more satisfying service.

Cunts.

20. DBB

DBB Member

Out of curiosity, I searched around in the net to see what this Kråklund was all about. Saw some photos and, man, does that place look ever clean and orderly. I was at the Metal Haven the other day and spotted some potato chip shards that looked to have been there since Reign in Blood was released--place has got character and class in my book though. Picked up a couple of Cianide LPs while I was there and can't say enough good things about this band that falls in the same broad category as more than a few of the bands above. They opened for Slough Feg last summer and won me over--it is rare for an old-school death metal band to tap Trouble as an overt influence and Cianide is some great heavy metal of death.