This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Democracy is Oppression

Discussion in 'The Philosopher' started by infoterror, Jul 18, 2006.

1. infoterror

infoterror Member

The ancient Greeks experienced it all just as we will, in time. Humans haven't changed a bit. And instead of wishing humans would change, "educating" them to change, etc. we might just want to grow up and accept reality.

What are we afraid of?

2. Norsemaiden

Norsemaiden barbarian

By the end of that quote , the thought occured that, arguably, the "excess of liberty" caused by democracy has allowed the situation where we have some Muslims living in the west despite the fact that they are in opposition to this culture and have become "terrorists".

So, democracy has allowed this threat amongst us, due to its excess liberty, and now our so-called democracies are turning rapidly into tyrannies as government uses the excuse that they must curtail freedoms for our own protection.

3. speed

speed Member

this only is partially related to this thread, but...

I viewed The Third Man about three weeks ago (the screenplay and story was written by Graham Greene, thus not without some importance), and I remembered this quote below, delivered by Orson Welles' character. Its rather interesting I thought, indictment of Democracy.

Harry Lime: Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.