This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

do i need a DI Box!?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by FIXXXER, Oct 28, 2017.

1. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

First of all i apologise for the for the dumb title, my brain has not yet booted completely
    to come up with a more meaningful...title :D

Here's the situation, right now i am using an AXE FX II to record guitars and bass.
    The AXE FX II is directly connected to a RME ADI 2 PRO USB interface/DAC.

I would like to simplyfy my setup as i am using the Diezel VH4 Sim in the AXE FX II 99% of the time.

I am thinking to either try out some of the latest modeler Software (Helix Native)
    or to buy a few preamp pedals (Diezel VH 4 pedal V2 for guitar and Darkglass Mictotubes B7K for bass)

Do i need a DI Box in both cases to connect the guitar/bass to the RME interface/DAC?

I also have a fairly nice Great River Preamp that has a HI-Z input.

I know that the HI-Z input is designed to accept guitar/bass signals but i am not
    sure if there is a significant difference to a high quality DI BOX.

Any ideas?

2. newamerikangospel

In my experience, you have enough options to forego a dedicated DI. A DI box will only do what your axe fx, great river, and rme (which should have instrument inputs). My tascam 1800 works fine for DIs. I prefer the colouring of my type85 into my MPA then line out into my tascam mic input, since it compresses/shapes a little, and it makes the tone more "complex" but I'm not sure it matters during otb reamping. A lot of people get great DIs out of an instrument input on a basic interface, dont discount what you have because someone else uses something different.

TL/DR, you already have options, try them out, and try stacking them.

FIXXXER likes this.
  3. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

sounds good, as i said i want to simplify the setup so another piece of gear would be not really beneficial!

4. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

I’ve got a Little Labs Redeye (older model) and I’ve compared the Redeye into my Profire 2626 vs the Profire instrument input and I can’t hear a difference.

Like said above - you already have options. Try them out and see what you prefer.

FIXXXER likes this.
  5. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

thanks for the input guys!

6. Pxz

Pxz Member

Yeah it seems like you are good to go with that setup. That Diezel VH4 pedal really rules, it sounds super close to the amp .

FIXXXER likes this.