This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do you believe in Extraterrestial Life?

Discussion in 'The Philosopher' started by Iron Chef Sakai, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Hater.

Hater. New Metal Member

Ah, the typical "the universe is infinite, so there must be life." view.
    Please tell me exactly what the reasoning is behind your assurance being 95% that life exists.

2. Blowtus

Blowtus Member

Suppose you're wandering across the desert, and come to a strange plain covered in billions of towels. You have a look under the first few and one of them has some teapots, while the others have nothing. What sort of likelihood would you assign to the chance that another towel on the field has stuff under it?

3. HjordisKjaer

HjordisKjaer pronounced "HYOR-dis"

okay, I'll start with the basics.
    We're here, yeah? That is unlikely itself, probability that there would be planet with exactly the right oxygen, enough water, all the factors and resources for support us. It's almost 100% in my-opinion that there could be other life forms - not necessarily a humanoid one - somewhere in the universe. Remember that universe is huge, and we are invisible in the grand scheme of things... now I sound like a prophet.

And good towel metaphor.

4. Tyrannic

Tyrannic New Metal Member

Just the sheer amount of galaxies there are in the universe almost guarantees that there is some other intelligent life form out there. It is impossible for us to be the only ones in the entire universe. I highly doubt that all those galaxies are lifeless. Like already mentioned here, any other lifeforms out there might not even be humanoids. Could be some sort of "alien" creature, who knows.

I think about stuff like this quite often. Something very amazing to think about. Especially when you are looking at pictures of other galaxies and just trying to imagine what could be in them.

5. Simfonik_Alex

Simfonik_Alex New Metal Member

This is weird because I was just in Roswell, NM for the UFO festival and met STANTON FRIEDMAN!!! There is more of a possibility that life exists out in the universe than that we are alone. There is water on the moon and snow on mars.... The original broadcast from the astronauts who landed on the moon includes an eleven minute section about a man made structure located near one of the poles. BELIEVE

6. monoxide_child

monoxide_child New Metal Member

or maybe it was one of the moons of saturn
    i'm pretty sure there's fish swimming around somewhere in our solor system

7. monoxide_child

there are actually mathematicians who actually get paid to try to figure out the answer to this question

8. Maxim1110

Maxim1110 Member

This has probably already been said, but, yes.

Considering the immense size of the universe, the odds are really high that somewhere out there, there is a planet where life is possible. If we will ever discover it? Unlikely.

9. Kara-Shehr

Kara-Shehr Member

This.

10. monoxide_child

it's possible that there are extraterrestials out there that aren't walking around earth because they just simply can't

it's possible that there are types of space-faring extraterestrial lifeforms that can't breathe earth's atmosphere

for those who don't remember chemistry class oxegen is actually corrosive, if there were an earth-sized-earth-shaped planet with extremely little or possibley no oxegen, it's possible that there could be life on such a planet that doesn't use any oxegen for it's resperation, such an organism would probably not be able to breathe in oxegen-rich earth atmosphere, for that organism, oxegen would actually be harmful; the oxegen would melt the organisms lungs, in the same was that oxegen turns metal into rust and make dead stuff "rot"