This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do you guys double track guitars?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by aml4, May 22, 2011.

1. Morgan C

Morgan C MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯

Double track with a hugeass bass guitar

2. RichS

RichS none

Awesome production. He used many different amps as well, including a fender bassman head.

3. peoriashows

peoriashows New Metal Member

Yes, there's a Gearslutz thread where Bill Levity (the guitar player) talks about the sessions. He said his hands were so worn out that he insisted on single tracking the solos on the follow up album, but they still had 6 rhythm tracks on that one too and it sound just as killer. If you remove CJ Snare's vocals from those albums, they could almost pass for any modern thrash or hardcore production. I love how heavy they are and hate how so many people passed them off as "cheezy 80s LA sleaze" records which they certainly were the farthest from. That's east coast metal, baby! No cheeze & sleaze there, just great metal! They spent their time being creative in the studio rather than partying all the time. I had the opportunity to recently meet the bass player Perry Richardson and he reminisced on the recording of those two albums. It sounds like they all had a great time doing them and were all happy with the final product. That wasn't the case with Dream Theater, it appears, but I don't care what Mike Portnoy says, Images & Words is and always will be one of the greatest metal productions of all time.

4. Cacoph0ny

Cacoph0ny Member

I'm surprised how many quad, it's overboard and unnecessary imo most of the time. I just 2 100& L/R, and a nice bass sound

5. GRStudios

GRStudios Member

Double track most of the time. Sometimes I quad track the refrain.

6. Melb_shredder

Melb_shredder Orpheus: Melodic Death

Double track everything, quad track some stuff (choruses etc that call for it) and that's usually it. I've quad tracked an entire ep before and though it was cool, it's nothing I found necessary. Only in the parts I mentioned that can be thickened up for effect!