This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do you still listen to Watershed?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Ruun, Oct 2, 2008.

1. burntoast

burntoast Member

Care to respond to my last post?

2. Albert R

Albert R Yorkshire

I assume it won with 99%, while all the other albums had a share of the remaining 1%.

3. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

^^^ Matter of fact, Opeth aren't changing from album to album just for the sake of making a change. Every album who followed are just as good (with even more "messages", "tone" and "concept"). So I guess Opeth's music isn't "taking a beating".

There is NO majority on this forum for a certain album. And Still Life maybe did won every polls (haven't checked them all, maybe did you?), but I'm sure it wasn't by far.

+1 to Bleakest Harvest.

4. vhou812

vhou812 Member

hmm, well, ok. Clearly we're not going to agree on much here as I would hardly call the albums subsequent to Still life as being "random"...they also sound totally uncontrived to me...so, there you go....like all Art...it's just opinions.

Though I'm right of course.

5. ometh

ometh Member

Totally agree. Before Watershed, Opeth used to be able to pull off alot of things without making me think - "now that just sounds pretentious/gratuitous etc". This changed with WS, and I just don't feel it's a particularly natural progression, more a strained one.

imo

6. philno

philno New Metal Member

not really. you're under some weird impression that i don't understand your points, when in all reality we are arguing over semantical bullshit. your friends who think differently constitute the exception i referred to a few times. does it mean that they are fanboys? no. does it disprove my notion that 99% of people who have been around for a while strongly prefer the SL era of opeth? no.

7. philno

philno New Metal Member

i can assure you (please, don't take my word, go search for the numerous "best album" polls we have on this forum every few months) that for years, the consensus has been and is always still life.

by the way have you ever considered constructing a proper argument? when one says something that you want to debate, think about it, don't post that "you think differently". that part is obvious, your reasoning is never obvious.

8. Guitar-Non-Player

and that's precisely the reason why polls suck.

how about a poll for the best song ever written. or the best book ever. or the best movie.

let the majority decide, the rest will surely SUCK!
    don't you agree? :rolleyes:

9. philno

philno New Metal Member

no, i don't agree. you've misinterpreted practically everything there is to misinterpret.

10. Guitar-Non-Player

so you're saying that your whole argument isn't based on the outcome of polls?

Then please elaborate:

11. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Oh I have arguments, but I think most have been said before me, and maybe in a clearer way than I would have done. You just don't get anything so it's useless by now.

12. philno

philno New Metal Member

polls are just one example of the consensus among seasoned fans. never did i explicitly state or imply that my argument revolves around some polls. in fact the consensus extends far beyond UM. you chould check music review sites too.

also you're a dumbass nasty-fire

13. Nibster18

Nibster18 Watching the swarm.

I agree with almost everything you say. However the "Opeth is my band" bit is bollocks, I know a lot of people who are not nearly as fanatic as myself when it comes to Opeth but pretty much all of them agree that SL is clearly the best. I personally like Watershed, but SL is leagues ahead for me and the majority. There is no weak track like porcelain heart or coil on SL and even those songs are much better than the vast majority of music out there, they just dont compare to a single SL track.

14. Guitar-Non-Player

Do you know what the general consensus was when John Carpenter's The Thing was released and how well that movie did in theaters?
    (it blew in theaters)

Why should *I* care about the general consensus?

15. philno

philno New Metal Member

watershed has gathered critical acclaim since it's release in most major mainstream sites/magazines.

*you* don't have to care about the general consensus. the point is that an overwhelming majority of opeth fans prefer the SL era to the modern era, and this is obviously for a reason that certain mindless fanboys can't comprehend.

16. Guitar-Non-Player

Precisely what I was getting at, thanks.

So now you use the polls, generals consensus, reviews and what not as a ground for your argument when it suits your views.
    You're kind of inconsistent, aren't you?:rolleyes:

Yes. :worship:

You have more right to judge and appreciate Opeth's music than anyone else here. :worship:

No one can honestly like Watershed.

OBEY! :worship:

17. burntoast

burntoast Member

:lol:

Well, it's hard not to be under that impression when you keep missing the fact that I've already stated that basically I agree with you on that notion.

And excuse me for taking you at your word. You can call it semantics if it's convenient.

My point was that this was an idiotic thing to say:

18. philno

philno New Metal Member

oh for fucks sake, how much more obvious can it be that i'm speaking of the opinions of watershed ON THIS FORUM. the only reason i pointed out that watershed has garnered critical acclaim was to show that it really has nothing in common with our argument. and we're not speaking of critical acclaim or box office flops anyways. get with it dumbass, no one else is asking where im getting my info from because it's absolutely implied.

but...if you want to take a look at critical acclaim as a means of objectifying how much better SL is, then do it. check out critic sites, you'll see it's a consensus there as well. there's no inconsistency here, in fact it's consensus from basically all sources.

19. Guitar-Non-Player

Chill.

Who made you a spokesperson of this forum?

And you didn't tell me why should *I* care about *your* opinion when *I* enjoy Heir Apparent and Burden and think that both of these songs are on par with the musical quality that Opeth showed on Still Life?

get with it dumbass.

20. philno

philno New Metal Member

lol there you go again. i'm just a guy who has been here for long enough to realize certain facts: mainly SL's superiority to modern opeth and the consensus associated with it. i also enjoy heir apparent and burden as much as some tracks on still life. but guess what? no one is arguing that.

besides; coil, porcelain heart and hex omega pretty much blow. asshole.