This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Huh... Thin Ice was actually pretty good. Solid story, consequences, and great continuity with not only the previous episode, but the series in general (nice to see the Psychic Paper return too).

8/10 from me. :)

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

Agreed - quite a well pieced together episode that one. Solid start to the season this far.

Next one looks suitably scary too :D

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

Latest episode was a good bit of fun. Had my 8 year old son watching with his hands over his eyes, and the wife mildly grossed out :p

4. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Has there been any more of that annoying shit Matt Lucas?

5. Lord Tim

He's being far less annoying than I expected he would be, honestly, but he's still around.

Interesting last episode. Didn't quite grab me as much as I thought it would, based on what everyone else was saying about it, but it was solid. The end was a tad annoying though, another "everyone lives" and I suspect that no mention of Bill's "grandfather" will matter with her friends after this.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Speaking of "grandfathers", don't you think they made a bit of a point about that? Combining that with Susan's photo on his desk in The Pilot, it's not a far reach to think that we'll be seeing a certain granddaughter make an appearance this year. Hopefully it's not Bill who has been Chameleon Arch'd or anything - it'd be nice to just have a regular fucking human companion, who isn't some kind of hybrid or The Most Important Person In The Universe. It's been a while...

6. Lord Tim

People I like: Jamie Matheison. He hasn't written a dud yet, and last EP was no exception! Not a masterpiece but very well put together and enjoyable.

8.5/10 for me :)

7. cowboy

cowboy Member

Enjoyed it. The Doctor's over the top rants were a bit ... over the top :p

But other than that, yet another very very good episode!

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

Wasn't a HUGE fan of this week's episode. It wasn't great, but it didn't suck either.

9. Lord Tim

Very... Moffat. I thought it was put together well but it's his typical "too clever for its own good" non linear shit that bogged down so much of the previous seasons.

Not going to rate this until I see how the conclusion works, but currently it's a well filmed mess, pending a cleanup.

10. Lord Tim

... fucking hell, what a mess this second part was.

OK, so we have the bad guys who are basically the Silence but with a different face - a religious order that have always been there since the beginning and their task is to kill the Doctor, but OMG the twist is they want to take over the Earth because of that.

Massive leaps of logic and bad acting everywhere, but this can be mostly forgiven until we get to the scientists.

1. Obvious bio-lab. You don't bring food into a bio lab. They're having coffee and snacks.
    2. When you're in the sterile room with the bacteria strain, on the other side of an airlock, you don't take your fucking bio-suit off.
    3. When you leave, you don't (and in fact can't in any real world lab) leave the fucking doors open.
    4. When you get fucked over by a bug so bad it makes your body dissolve and it's on the "safe" side of the airlock, there's probbbbbabbblllyyy a chance that it's strong enough to affect other people - WHO ALSO TAKE THEIR FUCKING BIO-SUITS OFF, even after they notice the open door.
    5. When you choose "sealing the lab" as your safe guard, you don't just "vent the bio hazard into the atmosphere" to solve the problem. "We have a world destroying pathogen loose in the lab - shit, that's bad. Let's put it outside!" FFS.
    6. If that fails and you can't get it out, what's the big plan? Luckily when it's eating things, it turns into highly explosive ethanol gas, so all the Doctor has to do is make a little bomb that will blow up the lab. Except there's no guarantee it'd do anything other than let the bio-hazard out (which I guess they were trying to do to save the lab, but hey - fuck the planet hey?"
    7. If there was that much gas, it would have already escaped into the other room through the open airlock doors. Luckily they were eventually shut, right?
    8. What idiot puts an old fashioned rotary code like a suitcase on anything in a high-tech lab, let alone on the INSIDE of the lab, where you'd want to get out fast if there's a problem?
    9. It's always nice to see that a small glass wall can stop a huge ethanol explosion that's apparently big enough to destroy a lab.

Holy fucking shit. That's just the obvious things, let alone "hot water sterilises bacteria" and other silly things that anyone who has worked in a local piercing shop would know.

There are literally NO undergrad students out there studying this stuff that would be this incompetent, let alone people who would have the knowledge and clearance to work in a lab like this.

But hey, why is this so bad? Two words: Peter Harness. Who? The "Kill the Moon" guy, where the moon is a fucking egg and has no gravitational effect on the Earth at all because luckily there was a gigantic dragon that hatched and laid an absolutely identical egg before it flew off. This episode makes a lot more sense now...!

From what I can see from the Next Time trailer, we're in a fucked up alternate timeline or another simulation (most likely) and it all never happened.

Sigh.

This season was going so well up until now.

Last week as a stand-alone: 7/10
    Last week as a continuation on from this: 5/10
    This week. 2/10 (and 2 because the compositing and location was good).

What a disaster.

11. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Hahahahahaha oh fuck... I think I'm glad I'm not bothering with this season.

12. Lord Tim

And the final part of the trilogy... nowhere near as brain-achingly stupid as the last one and the cinematography was really nice, but wow... between "it was all a dream" (or equivalent), and the "love saves the day" shit that I thought we'd had enough of over the last 5 years, this was a rehash of a rehash of a rehash and pointless in the end.

3/10 because it was pretty.

Luckily we have a Mark Gatiss story next week! Yay! *stabs self in brain in anticipation of how rubbish this will be* :erk:

13. cowboy

cowboy Member

And this season was going so well :(

An absolute clusterfluff - lets forget the last couple of episodes happened and just move on. Why not? Its what the writers do!! :p

14. cowboy

cowboy Member

Didn't suck. An improvement on last week, and the nods to the past were great.

But yeeeeah, stereotypes and sci-fi tropes galore.

15. Lord Tim

HA, it was like a Gatiss best-of and a "I really wanted to write a Doctor Who episode in 1973" homage. Considering who wrote it, and kind of the silly premise of it all, it was actually quite entertaining. I'd give that a 7/10, if only because it's probably the best thing Mark Gatiss has actually written aside from An Adventure in Space and Time, which was actually fantastic.

16. cowboy

cowboy Member

BEST. EPISODE. IN. YEARS!

17. Lord Tim

Hmm...

So we had a creature that fed on light, yet hunted in the night time and ate people, that got destroyed by light, that is from an alternate dimension where time moves at a crazy slow rate, being held back by a bunch of kids after it slaughtered a legion of one of the most well trained fighting forces that ever existed.

Luckily Bill (who is most definitely gay, as she may have mentioned a few times now) was there to stop the Doctor, who was probably more well equipped to defeat the beast, or at least able to live an extremely long time or regenerate if it went badly, from being the one to save the day. Good thing that Nardole is there to get mad at him for abandoning his guard duty protecting the person he let out himself and saved everyone from last week's adventure.

Come on guys, are we even trying?

It was once again beautifully filmed, Murray's score was excellent, the CGI was decent... and if you switched your brain off entirely and didn't think about plot holes or basic math (how long would they need to last in the other dimension before it hit modern day? About 4 or 5 weeks. Oh no! Rory sat in front of the Pandorica for 2000 years, the Doctor sat on a small moon for 300, is it such a big thing?) it was an inoffensive enough piece.

I'd give it a generous 5/10. But being just before the end game of the series, where the Doctor is supposed to be regenerating and we're getting Mondassian Cybermen and a multi-Master story? Yeah... that 5 is looking VERY generous now.

18. cowboy

cowboy Member

Hahaha - wow. I think after reading that, I must have watched the episode with my brain switched off.

But yeah:

- the defending of the portal. I agree to the most part - the defending of it I can understand - they only needed to keep the mosters at bay for a few moments. But as to why half a dozen of them going through would make a difference? That was just ridiculous
    - the old 'yes bill is gay' thing. getting old, BUT it was good that they did turn it on its head slightly with the retort about how SHE was conservative compared to the romans :p
    - missy being out and on tardis repair duty? wut :/

Some of the positives though
    - the idea that the crows used to talk, we just stopped listening was great
    - Music was fantastic
    - the fact that everyone in the universe basically sounds like children to the doctor. Epic.

19. Lord Tim

Yeah, I think as a "is this entertaining if you don't think about it much" point of view, it was pretty good, but I just couldn't get past the plot holes myself. :erk:

20. Lord Tim

Holy shit.

Not giving away any spoilers but that was my first 10/10 since David left. Brilliant!