This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

ooooOOOOooooh - haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Dragonforce Sunday night, wrecked Monday night, and saw wonder woman with my son last night.

Will definitely be watching the good doctor tonite :)

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

Bloody brilliant indeed!

3. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

And now we wait to see if Moffat is consistent in his ability to build something up and utterly blow the finale of it...! Fingers crossed this is an exception!

4. Lord Tim

Hmmm.... wouldn't say utterly blown but it was a bit of a mess. Needed another 10 minutes because the beginning was rushed as fuck and there were some really clunky moments in places.

Not gonna say much more than that, but I'd give it a 7/10 overall. Disappointing after last week's amazing episode.

Keen to see the Christmas special however!

5. cowboy

cowboy Member

Wasn't a complete trainwreck. I think a 7/10 is just about right.

6. Lord Tim

Things I like: Broadchurch and Jodie Whittaker in one of the lead roles.

Things that currently feel like the TARDIS jumping over a shark: the same actress as The Doctor.

If Chibnall doesn't do an EXCEPTIONAL job as show runner this year, I reckon the show will be in hiatus by 2019. This will be a tough sell...!

7. cowboy

cowboy Member

Certainly has polarised people!

Its such a big change. I would have loved at leasta season of Chibnall and Capaldi together. Couldn't have been worse that Capaldi/Moffat!

8. Lord Tim

I dunno... Chibnall gave us the sexy Cyberwoman in Torchwood...!

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

Thoughts?

I didn't mind it - was very teary-eyed in parts.

10. Lord Tim

It wasn't a tooth and mind rotting disaster area like some of the previous specials, but it just felt like it was going kind of nowhere for a lot of it. The whole "need to learn more so let's go see Rusty" part was like "well, here we are, this is a nice throwback and... it's gone, and didn't need to be here." The parting speech was a bit long - you can tell when it's a showrunner's last hurrah, Russell did that for Tennant's send off too. Kind of digging Jodie's thing so far, but like I said earlier, Chibbers needs to absolutely nail this shit from the start or it's gonna be a massive fail for the show. Guess we'll know in about 8 months hey?

11. cowboy

cowboy Member

Guess so :)

SPOILERS FOLLOWING IN CASE ANYONE READING DOESN'T WANT TO BE SPOILERED!

The soldier being a Lethbridge Stewart was super obvious, but I still teared up at the reveal. And the whole Ypres thing while being something not entirely original, it fit the xmas theme well and got me super sad too because my Nan's brother died on the fields of Ypres during the Great War.

And yes, I too felt that final speech was a touch too long, but all in all it was a pretty good launching pad into the new season and new era!

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

THE DOCTOR IS BACK!!

[​IMG]

13. Lord Tim

^ that kind of made me cringe a bit, more so it's just asking for all of the "#notmydoctor" sooks riled up and posting.

On the other hand...

Well, while I wouldn't say it was perfect (first episodes post-regeneration are always really tricky to get the balance right, more so when the entire production team has changed) but wow, the new Doctor Who series looks like it's going to be brilliant. Gruesome deaths with actual consequences, the cinematography and VFX were top notch (HUGE kick up from last season, and that was already pretty great) and Jodie is The Doctor - the whole "female Doctor" thing was a complete non-event. I think it'll take a few episodes to settle but what a great start. The most optimistic I've been in years - bring it on :)

Sold 8.5/10, but wouldn't be surprised if that got bumped to 9/10 on next watch.

14. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

That's a pretty glowing review... I'll have to get around to finishing Capaldi's last season now I've got my innerwebs back.

15. cowboy

cowboy Member

*SOMEWHAT SPOILERY*

Just in case :)

So yeah - wow. Most I've enjoyed watching a Doctor Who episode in YEARS. Maybe going back to Eccles and Tennant times even!

A less shouty, less preachy doctor (writer). And yes LT - thought the same as you! Deaths with actual consequences. Nice (in a sad way). But that was it - the deaths made me sad. Testament to some good writing and acting.

Sure the core story was a bit contrived, but its hard not to be when you've been around so long :p

16. Lord Tim

Yeah, the story itself wasn't great, and the baddie (while cool and I enjoyed the Tim Shaw gag) was definitely a rip off of Predator. Some of the jokes didn't land and some of the dialogue was a bit clunky, but this is Chibnall all over - look at, say, The Hungry Earth or Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - good ideas with rough edges.

HOWEVER, it's the tone of everything that's a VAST improvement. Chris won't be writing the entire season, so combine fresh on-point writing with his vision as showrunner... yeah, I reckon we're on a bit of a winner!

I've watched this 3 times now and I'd say 8.5 is sill about right for me. The stuff I mentioned before is what's stopping it going any higher, but man... such a breath of fresh air. Bring on next week!

17. cowboy

cowboy Member

Episode two - one bit that irked me a bit, very predictable story.

BUT, gorgeous visuals, and some great acting and writing.

Proper Awesome my initial verdict :)

18. Lord Tim

Yeah, Episode 2 was pretty much the expected romp. "Here's our alien planet" kind of thing, like "The Beast Below" or "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship." Pretty much fluff.

That said, the visuals were wonderful. And the character moments were excellent - I've missed that shit so much!

I'd give it 7.5 because it was a bit of a nothing episode overall, but that's kind of the point of what it was trying to do.

19. cowboy

cowboy Member

Rosa was good. Very sentimental. If nothing else gave me a great opportunity for a serious discussion with my 9yo son about civil rights and how fucked up our world was not-so-very-long-ago.

20. Lord Tim

8.5 for me - the message was great, the acting was mostly great, the cinematography was fantastic yet again. A few misses with the score and a couple of plot holes aside, it was excellent. Probably the best run for a season start since... shit, the early Tennant years.