This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Well said LT. I think it just an annoyingly vocal minority that are objecting to this current season. Fuck the lot of them!

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Resolution: 8.5/10

I enjoyed that. Shall discuss more when I know everyone here has seen it. :)

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

As someone who doesn't follow closely the ins and outs of Doctor Who I initially wondered "where the heck is our christmas episode???"

New doctor, new team, new tradition maybe?

But regardless, the "new years episode" was thoroughly enjoyable :)

4. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

I too actually enjoyed the special, more than most of the season.

5. Lord Tim

And the opener to the new season even smashed the last New Year's special. Wow...!

Come on, Chibnall - stick the landing on the second part. You can do it, man!

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

Landing not necessarily stuck on that aforementioned one, but still a pretty good season so far!!

7. Lord Tim

It was decent, I thought. Didn't quite live up to Part 1 but it was certainly not bad at all. :)

On the other hand Orphan 55 was pretty dumb, and Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror was pretty good but nothing spectacular.

And then there was Fugitive of the Judoon. Holy fucking shit. Have we all seen that yet? No spoilers if not!

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

INCREDIBLE :)

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

Anyone that reads here and doesn't know, Stephen Moffat has written a mini-series of DRACULA that is available for viewing on Netflix.

And its pretty damn good!

10. Nitephyre

It is? I saw it and the preview looked rather mediocre, I thought. Might give it a try.

11. Lord Tim

I'm willing to bet it's full of quippy dialogue and a lot of plot driven characters based on his 3 archetypes. Happy to be proven wrong though, but everything he's done since Press Gang has pretty much followed that formula.

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

NAILED IT!

13. Lord Tim

I'll pass. I actually really liked Press Gang, and Curse of the Fatal Death was fantastic, I loved Blink, and really enjoyed a lot of Series 5, but then every single one of those characters kept popping up again as different people, the same dialogue cadence, the same kind of "clever" ideas that are unnecessarily complex... in isolation, all of it is absolutely fine, but as a complete body, it's like listening to European power metal. A couple of songs make you go "hey, this is fairly cool" but then you have an entire album of 16th note double kicks, that one harmony guitar line that everyone stole from Keepers-era Helloween, and "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! We will fight for the glory of metal, for the power of steeeeeelllll" and you start to think "you know, these guys really only had those 2 cool ideas, didn't they? The rest of it is just those 2 ideas in a different key and sometimes a different tempo."

14. cowboy

cowboy Member

That's a fair call!

But I stuck it out - its 3 parts, each around 90 minutes. I consider it time well spent, but I was invested because I've always been a MASSIVE fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula so was very keen to see Moffat's take on it.

My full review but keeping spoiler free:

Part 1 - EXCELLENT. Stays quite true to the original text, introduces some great characters.
    Part 2 - Okay. Descends into an almost agatha-christie-like murder mystery on a boat
    Part 3 - hmmm. Moffat really tries to close off his ideas and does NOT STICK THE LANDING AT ALL.

So yeah, I would encourage you to watch part 1!!! Then, watch parts 2 and 3 if you are game and want to see how much it derails :p

15. Nitephyre

Aww, poor Euro power metal! :( :worried:

:tickled: