This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore/Andy's ManSWOS

Yeah, I enjoyed this episode EXCEPT for it ending up being all about Clara. She's special, we get it now mmmkay? On the flipside, how derpy is she that she couldn't work out the blatantly obvious (to me anyway) fact that her and Pink get jiggy with it (at least in A timeline) and that Oswald was related to her, hence the TARDIS taking them to those people/timelines.

Speaking of continuity, I'm fairly certain that we've already been to The End of Everything before, but oh well.

2. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

We've been to the End of Everything 8 times already.

3 since the relaunch. the last big one with Tennant with Capt Jack & Martha.
    It's really lazy writing & was confusing because all I heard was that Captain Pink was from 100 years in her future. I didn't hear them say that he was trapped in the end of time period.

As LT said: individual parts were absolutely brilliant but overall it fell apart.
    I hated Clara being able to go back to the Dr's past because as they've establised since the relaunch it's totally time locked & unable to be accessed by anyone after a certain point.

It would make a lot more sense if there was something other than Clara & the Dr remembering his own fear (which wasn't exploded enough).

The parts that were underplayed were amazing but once it gets to the typical "Moffat Madcap" shlick it dragged (the whole dating scene, which could've been the best of Coupling but ended up as nothing but the creative team trying to be clever).

Another thing: I thought the TARDIS hated Clara, so why would it willing allowed to be hooked up to her psychically. It's long been established their passive-aggressive relationship.

3. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

OK, Gallifrey is now trapped inside a pocket universe outside of time/our own universe, so the time lock itself was reset in the Christmas special where Matt regenerated.

I have a hard time reconciling the barn being on Gallifrey anyway. There were millions of Daleks attacking the planet and they were about to level it entirely, and yet the War Doctor strolled calmly into the barn with The Moment to stop it all. That suggests that it's a different planet nearby. What is the Doctor doing in a barn in a planet near Gallifrey? Possibly after he looked into the Untempered Schism and he ran away? But he clearly went back there to go to the university so... yeah, unnecessarily complicated.

The TARDIS got to like Clara because she went through the Doctor's time stream to save every one of his incarnations. It originally didn't like her because there was "something not quite right" about her, but after that it all made sense. Unlike Deep Breath where she'd forgotten she'd done any of that entirely. Sigh.

This is a big leap up from the last couple of seasons overall but it could be so much better than what it is if it got its head out of its own ass for 5 minutes...

4. Lord Tim

Time Heist:

Things happened then more things then a "clever" twist that we've done quite a few times by now, then more things then things that happened out of order then... it ended, and then we discover for all of the things that happened and then more things happened, not much really happened at all did it? No real emotional engagement with it at all and the story was full of plot holes. Big waste of Keeley Hawes.

Capaldi is still fantastic, even despite the beige script he was given, and some of the photography was very beautiful, and nothing was particularly offensive at all, but it was just... there.

6/10. Sigh.

5. cowboy

cowboy Member

I'd be *slightly* more generous and give it a 7 :)

Purely for the fact that it, for me anyway, didn't have any "WHAT THE?", or *facepalm*, or groan-worthy moments.

6. Shadow298

I have no idea why Moffat wanted to do another heist show when he's already done two in Sherlock. & the slow mo walk into upper level of the vault shat me to tears.

As soon as they showed the hooded figured I knew who it was & as soon as the Teller was revealed properly, I knew what the rest of the plot was about.
    some clever stuff but still felt emotionally dead & hollow.

7. Lord Tim

The Caretaker... Hmm...

I was expecting much worse than what we got, and Capaldi continues to shine. Danny Pink? Seriously, can you fuck off now please? Deadshit one-dimensional character, and from all of the behind the scenes stuff I've seen so far, I'm not sure we can entirely blame everything on the script - the actor seems like a bit of a deadshit too.

Nice to see how calm someone can be after helping shut down a world-destroying killer robot, after learning his girlfriend is travelling with a 2000 year old alien in space and time. He almost seemed like he was bored with it all.

And so let's think about putting a disruptive smart ass teenager in the TARDIS for as second. I couldn't possibly see how anyone like that would tell her friends or use it against her teacher that she likes talking back to. She'll DEFINITELY keep that to herself and not cause trouble for the alien who is trying to stay undercover or his companion who is trying to keep it all a secret.

:err:

But those truck-sized holes in the script aside, and blocking out the fucking terrible Danny Pink stuff, I'd rate that an 8.

8. Lord Tim

HA! Wow, just saw the best rant on the Doctor Who forums by a user called "betawho" that totally sums up everything I've thought about Moffat's run:

Fucking THIS.

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah really hits the nail on the head.

Clara in the latest episode - perfect example of the above (I think anyway) where she came across as a bumbling fool trying to explain away the alien and the vortex and everything as "a play". It was just out of character, especially for someone who has been through everything she has been through.

As you say though, the latest episode was quite good. Again got the balance right (I did enjoy Capaldi doing the the whole soldier-could-not-be-a-maths-teacher thing :p) between action and comedic elements.

I'd give it an 8 too. Nothing memorable, a few cringe moments (the above 'play' thing!), but entertaining.

10. Shadow298

Yep, that whole piece is what I've thought for ages.

I must be in the minority for hating almost every part of The Caretaker episode.

Capaldi is fantastic but the scripts he gets are beyond shite. Much like Smith. Tennant was a decent Dr who had incredible scripts & ideas backing him up.

Moffat's total inconsistancies & habit of changing ideas every second really pisses me off & it realy shows with Clara, who is nothing but an audience surrogate, hence her fit over the Dr looking old when she'd already seen every stage of his life.

11. Nitephyre

Yeah, I didn't really enjoy the episode, though I'm liking Peter. Re: the rant above, yes a lot of it doesn't make sense, but the easiest answer for me is "It's Time Travel, It Happened, But Did It Really?"™

Also, it's ironic kinda that David didn't speak in his Scottish accent, yet Peter is... I'm guessing they got over the fact that The Doctor has to be "English".

12. Lord Tim

The reason David didn't was because of RTD. Chris had a Northern accent and Russell was a bit worried they would be confusing new fans by having the Doctor's accent too all over the place so he suggested David use the same accent he used in Casanova.

13. Nitephyre

Ah, rightio. To me though, it makes more sense to sound different because, well "technically" they're all different "people".

I just enjoy the Scottish accent in general, it's fun to listen to.

14. Shadow298

2 other reason are Moffat is originally Scottish & wanted it done as well as the fact that Capaldi has already appeared in Dr Who & Torchwood with English accents, so they wanted to distingish him as totally different.

15. Lord Tim

Fuck me. That last episode was utter shit. 1/10. Let's move on. :err:

16. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yep that was utter rubbish. Utter, utter, utter garbage. Worst episode I've seen since I don't know when.

17. Shadow298

Clara's characterisation grows worse & worse with each episode. It's like they've forgotten almost her entire backstory.

that episode just contradicted so much of what had come before & its climatic scenes were just pathetic.

18. cowboy

cowboy Member

Didn't even like Capaldi in that episode. Found him to be a bit, annoying actually. Admittedly he had shite to work with script-wise.

Wasn't even any brief moments of amusement or witty banter to at least have something to redeem it.

19. Nitephyre

20. Lord Tim

Seriously though... let's make a big deal about the science aspect of what happens to the Earth if the moon isn't there all episode... then at the end when it's not NOTHING HAPPENS. And then let's make a big deal about having to "grow a backbone" and make a hard choice and suffer the consequences and then have it MEAN NOTHING.

And the moon is a magical dragon egg? That bursts and a planet sized dragon comes out? And all of the shell pieces (that have always been rock EVERY OTHER TIME the Doctor has been on there past, present and future) just disappeared into nothing? And then the dragon laid another egg EXACTLY the same size and mass as the moon was, complete with craters before it flew away?

FUCK ME.

If I wasn't a life long fan, that would have been it for me. I would have been done with this show after this episode. Fucking hell.