This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah my wife said that maybe we should treat it like its a kids show now. Just go into with zero expectations each week from now on, which is a far call.

Yes if we do that, its still 40 minutes of our lives we'll never get back but no matter how bad it gets, its still better than a lot of other things!

And, apart from this episode, each episode this season has had at least several good points.

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

The irony of waiting in anticipation for the next episode of Wizards and Aliens because the last episode was so good... and that IS a kid's show. :rolleyes:

3. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore/Andy's ManSWOS

At first I thought "Cool, a fucking Space Dragon!!!!" and den... ":("

4. Cooee

Cooee Member

5. Lord Tim

Awesome link! :)

Well, he's welcome back if his next story doesn't suck - this was quite good and I enjoyed this episode. A couple of little bits dragged and I think the score, as much as I love Murray, was maybe a little bit Disney sounding (but probably on the money to balance the light and darkness of this episode), but yeah... really cool.

"A mummy no-one else can see" ... holy shit, what a great Tom Baker impression! And the jelly babies! :D

8/10 More of this, please!

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

Cool link man - cheers for that ! Some interesting stuff indeed - feel free to 'spam' us with any more stuff like that you find ;)

7. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

My main issue with the Mummy episode tonight is that it was good & should've been the shit that they were doing early.

It had some very good call backs to previous series -especially the Baker impression- & the "sorry, I'm so very sorry" line (which I am getting sick of, to be frank).

Good mix of tension, humour & drama but the resolution wasn't great. the Dr as a cold bastard trying to solve a mystery was well played. Thought the engineer character (can't remember the comedian/actor's name, Frank Skinner I think) was very well handled but potential for much more.
    They'll probably bring back Gus again as a villain at some point. Surprised no promised Land coda either.

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

Indeed. I'd give that episode a solid 7/10.

Heaps better than the previous episode with some great effects and nicely developed characters.

Please can we have a run of decent episodes?

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

That one wasn't bad either. Can we keep this writer please?

I can (AND WILL :p) nitpick a lot in a day or two once everyone has had a chance to watch it, but I'd rate this one at least an 8.

10. Shadow298

It really pisses me off that Flatliners was a very decent episode that shows so much strength to & depth of the characters (hwo Clara acts when trying to be the Dr) but until last week all we had were shite inconsistent episodes.
    So vexing that they bring in the good stuff when so many are giving up on it, when they could've showed the good stuff from the start.

11. Lord Tim

I'd give that one a 9. It really needed a bit more time I think, with some stuff being a bit rushed towards the end, but great writing from Jamie once again - I really enjoyed that. Can we keep him? Please? :)

12. Nitephyre

I think that was my favourite episode of the season, aside from the bit right at the end. Those are the type of special effects I want to see more of, not slap-together stuff... It's a modern show now in a modern world.

13. cowboy

cowboy Member

Absolutely. The effects were great - the 2D people in a 3D world (hey! that sounds like a great name for a song!) were excellent as was the shrinking TARDIS.

2DIS - groan, but clever!

The Doctor moving the Tardis with his hand Thing-like was cool.

The Doctor's flippant lines ("yeah I stopped listening a while ago") but grudging respect for Clara was well done.

The stuff I didn't particularly like was how quickly accepting everyone was with the whole 2D bad guys graffiti coming to life. And how Clara was so quick to just reveal the Doctor to everyone she came across.

But like I said that was me being really nitpicky.

I enjoyed the hell out of that episode and it was another where I thought that it would have been exceptional spread over 4 or 5 episodes like back in the good old days :)

14. Lord Tim

^^ Yep, this is exactly what I meant about it needing a bit more time. If they had that evolve a bit longer it would have been more plausible and would have scored a 10 from me. :)

15. Nitephyre

Yes, we need serials again. I also agree with the "everyone is OK with the Doctor and TARDIS" now. I dunno, maybe it's all the sci-fi we consume now that has desensitised us to the possibilities, but I mean if something like that did seriously happen to me, it'd take more than a few seconds to shrug and go with the flow.

16. Lord Tim

This week, just a tip: go watch Play School or something if you want some decent kids TV. This even fails at that and is far less plausible than Jemima visiting Humpty at the zoo. Someone kick some dirt over this steaming turd before we all walk away, feeling slightly embarrassed about it all, please.

1/10

Crap.

17. cowboy

cowboy Member

I actually have to disagree with you there LT. I didn't mind that episode at all. Maeve was a great little actress, Danny Pink sucked to high heaven, but yeah it was an okay episode.

I'd give it a 6/10 here.

18. Shadow298

It was a useless nothing episode. It wasn't terrible like Kill the Moon but it was utterly pointless. It added nothing, it was confusing, it contradicted things again & just had inconsistent characters & motivations.
    Was there any reason to it other than filling space? Hasn't that been the entire series? Why connect it back to the heist episode. Plus it ended with another "you'll all forget. you always forget" bullshit. That shit won't rub anymore, Moffat!

19. Nitephyre

20. Shadow298

You can tell how shite an episode is now when you ask someone what they thought a day after & they don't remember anything from it.
    Last night's ep was one of those.