This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Have watched the first 3 episodes of Wizards Vs Aliens with the kids - its really is rather enjoyable :)

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

It's really in series 2 that it gets really good. About half way through the season you really start to go "holy shit, this is actually great stuff." :)

Come back, Russell! We miss you! Bring Phil!

3. Lord Tim

Spoiler free review: great concepts, nice to see some old (new?) faces, but man that writing was a fucking mess. So much character interaction that just meant nothing because you don't believe their relationships. It should have been 10 times more powerful than it was.

7/10 for the excellent idea.

Next week has the potential of being either amazing or faecal matter.

4. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Yep, that last episode had great ideas but utterly fucking useless execusion.

Why'd you need to invent water that hides things if there isn't really anyone around to see it? More so after the fucking trailers spoilt the big reveal.
    The whole Missy angle was fucking useless too. More pathetic fan pandering after no narrative pay-off. Would rather it was the Rani's return. If they had Missy & the afterlife in every single episode there would've been more investment in the whole subplot but there wasn't enough build up, so I & other people didn't really give a shit.

Just so much wasted potential & ideas.

5. Lord Tim

I have a question too: If you were talking to someone on the phone and suddenly they got hit by a car, wouldn't you, like, notice the screech, impact, phone bouncing across the road, people yelling, etc.? Nope. Just goes dead quiet until someone picks the phone up if you happen to be Danny Pink.

So much of that was written so unrealistically. The entire relationship so far wasn't written well so when he died it was like "ah I see. Well then, let's move on hey?" rather than any "shiiiit, no way!" moment. And then even after that happened, you kind of expected him to be alive in the afterlife - and THERE HE WAS! Once again, we can't have main characters dying for real can we? So now we know that the moon is really an egg and when people die they go to the Nethersphere. This series is really all about answering the big questions. ;) But even after he "died" the relationship still made no sense the way it was written - it was a confused mess.

And very much agree, if you're gonna splash Cybermen all over the press for weeks in advance, including the Next Time trailer, it's not really gonna make you go "oh no way, look!" when they're revealed is it?

Fuck me.

Hey Moffatt - I'm looking down this here flight of stairs and I think I see that ball you dropped. It's on the "missed opportunity" floor. Tell Russell to go get it for you, please?

6. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore/Andy's ManSWOS

Yeah... once I saw the W3 logo I'm like... hang on a second, I know that. Then, the doors closed and I said to my self "Ugh, really?"

We really need a great NEW enemy, something sinister and really fucked up... but of course, for that to happen this iteration of Dr Who needs to get back to the gritty start of S1 with Eccleston... have I said before how much I miss him?

7. Lord Tim

I have no problem with old enemies, and if anything the Cybermen have been criminally underused in the last few years. "Oh look, there's one in a closet. Oh look, there's 6 million of them exploding and not doing much else. Oh look there's one that's got no head." Much like the Sontarans, they were actually a pretty dangerous enemy once.

It was more so that the big reveal was blown way before that with ads, teasers, etc. so there was nothing to be surprised about if you've been following along. Now compare that to Army Of Ghosts in Series 2 when all of the ghosts were actually out of phase Cybermen... THAT was a great reveal and no one saw it coming until it was just "oh fuck!!"

But even that I can overlook if the story is good. And it really wasn't. The concepts were brilliant, and the pieces were in place to be fantastic but you just simply don't care because there's no emotional investment in the characters because they aren't realistic.

8. Nitephyre

I'll pay that. I avoid watching ads, teasers and the Next Time... bits.

Also, I agree that Army of Ghosts was a great episode.

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yep not a bad episode in comparison to the utter shite we've been served up at times this season, but still not great.

And Danny Pink. Who freaking cares? Useless character.

Missy - kinda expected that, but hoped to christ I was wrong. Alas I was not :p

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

FUCKING. STUPID.

11. cowboy

cowboy Member

Are people watching a different Doctor Who to me?

"Onwards with the Christmas special and series 9, then, both of which have a hell of a job on their hands to match what's been achieved with series 8"

"A powerful and emotional finale to Capaldi's masterful first season."

I mean, whatthe?

12. Shadow298

That finally episode was so fucking stupid.

I was so bored by it. It answered nothing, resolved nothing & did nothing. It was utterly pointless & I feel lesser for watching it.

It had some fun but ultimately useless hark-backs (the Brigadier & so forth, decent tribute but also cold). I had no emotional investment in what happened with or to Danny & knew that he'd send the kid back instead of coming back himself & didn't care about his sacrifice in the end.

Why the fuck did Missy's accent keep changing? It was as in inconsistent as Clara's characterisation this past series.

were they angling to hint that the Dr would become the Valyard with the Cyberman army? Because it was wasted since there was no real build up for it.

Having Clara claim to be the real Dr could've paid off if they used to against the real Dr & planted doubt but otherwise it was to annoyingly obvious & planted too many false trails for serious fans that they wouldn't even go for because Moffat has milked them dry already. At least it mentioned the kids & grandkids but don't know who the other two wives are.

All in all, I stopped caring last week, so just watched tonight to see how they wrapped it all up.

Can Moffat & his team, get a whole new staff in for next season.

13. cowboy

cowboy Member

Well I could almost forgive the Mistress accent changing - call it due to the tranquillizer. A stretch I know :p

But, and..... SPOILERS:

- The Clara pretending to the Cybermen that she was the Doctor. Umm - check her biology guys? Doesn't have two hearts > Isn't the Doctor.

- The bit where the Master/Mistress escaped. A - no-one would be stupid enough to go up to the Master when she says she has a secret to whisper. B - the armed guards don't move a muscle when she is being threatened, dont move a muscle when she is UNCUFFED, and still haven't moved to get their weapons in the time it took Missy to get to glasses girl? The Master is a timelord not the Flash! AAAAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!

14. Lord Tim

Nothing much to add, you guys said it all. Definitely looking forward to a Christmas special with Santa Claus in it. Not. *sigh*

Moffat - time to go. Seriously. Even RTD's dumbest moments made you actually care enough to hate them, this is just pointless and a waste of possibly the best Doctor to ever play the role.

15. Nitephyre

Hey, at least Nick Frost could be the highlight as Santa. It was a nice little touch for the changed intro though, having Clara's eyes and her name before Peter in the credits... then it just got Stupid, as usual. Shame about Asthma Girl, she may have made a good companion.

16. cowboy

cowboy Member

So what did we think?

Given my overall disappointment with this latest season, and the fact that all these christmas specials for me have leaned in the 'a bit crap' direction, I had low expectations.

But I have to say, it was not too bad. Premise was okay, some great lines and one-liners. Yeah, not too bad really :)

17. Lord Tim

Won't get to see it for a few days but from all accounts this isn't as dire as some of the past specials. No lemonade taps and no one getting saved by the power of love at least. ;)

18. Shadow298

I thought that it was utter shite on a stick!

Too much wasted time & utter bullshit thrown about. It should've been a much tighter, tenser story that made you care about the four stupid gobshites who are in danger.
    Nick Frost was fine as Santa but ultimately under used.

19. Nitephyre

Nick Frost was the best part. I think Doctor needs to go solo for a while, so fucking sick of Clara... she's not even attractive any more because she's so fucking irritating.

20. cowboy

cowboy Member

HAHAHA - so harsh, so funny, so true!!!