This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Finally got a chance to watch it.

Hmm.. OK, I rated it 7/10 but that's a generous 7 due to most Xmas specials being steaming piles of shit. This wasn't quite that bad (there were no lemonade taps or wacky Mister Bean impressions set to comedy music) but if this was a regular episode, I would have given it less for sure.

Again, shitty unbelievable dialogue and a whole case of characters you just don't give a shit about because you just don't buy it at all.

I did enjoy the idea of the story even though it was probably the least original thing Moffat has written in a while (one of a long line of unoriginal things, be it his own work or others he's regurgitating) but so much stuff either dragged, or was rushed over or sacrificed for the sake of another "SHUT UP" or snappy quip or catch phrase.

I'm thinking back to how optimistic I was about how he'd run the show after RTD got silly towards the end of his run with the "bigger than last time, now BIGGER, and BIGGER!!!" obsession, and the Doctor worship he did, and how Moffat would always have a clever twist in his stories to make them interesting. Finally we'll be able to get away from the bombast and focus on some great storytelling.

HA!

All is forgiven, Rusty - please come back. You can even bring your burping bins or farting aliens. :(

2. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore/Andy's ManSWOS

I reckon Peter could write some cracking stuff for himself... can't be any worse than what's come already.

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

The sad thing is, a lot of people out there seem to be lapping this shite up!

Just as a snapshot - lets look at IGN reviews for the current season. 8.5/10, 8.4, 9.1 for Death in Heaven, 8.8 for the christmas episode.

The reviewers on GEOS (http://geos.tv/index.php/list?sid=123&collection=807) seem a bit harsher - mean of 5.81 for Forest of the Night (god that was a bad one), but a high of 9.05 for Dark Water!

4. Lord Tim

I'd love to have Nick Briggs write an episode - his Big Finish stuff is fantastic!

5. cowboy

cowboy Member

6. Nitephyre

Lol, photo prices at any fan thing like this (for anything, bands, tv etc) are fucking ridiculous.

7. Lord Tim

For the basic package (which is *from* $150!) did you notice you had to purchase photos rather than being able to just take some? Bit of a rip, even for a huge fan...!

8. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Saw a doco drama on the first doctor a month or so ago. Found that very interesting.

9. Lord Tim

Ah "An Adventure in Space and Time" yeah?

Really enjoyed that one myself. :)

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

Bloody brilliantly done I thought.

11. cowboy

cowboy Member

Just finished watching the first season of the BBC show The Musketeers, in which Peter Capaldi portrays the Cardinal of France.

Ripping show, and PC is a FAR better Cardinal than he is a Doctor! :)

12. Lord Tim

Yeah... the biggest problem with him as the Doctor is the scripts. He's got the makings of a FANTASTIC Doctor, probably the best ever. But when the fucking moon is an egg that hatches a magical space dragon that lays one exactly the same size which has no gravitational effects on the Earth, no amount of brilliant actor can save that.

Hopefully after Moffat takes his 3 story types, and his 3 character types with that one style of quippy "Press Gang" dialogue he can't write a scene without fucks off and we have a show runner that knows how to write for actual believable characters again, we can see Capaldi shine in the role.

13. cowboy

cowboy Member

Absolutely - there is little doubt he is hamstrung by that nuff nuff Moffat.

The sooner we are rid of him the better!

And in the meantime, I'm gonna start watching season two of The Musketeers and find out what the scheming Cardinal gets up to next :D

14. cowboy

cowboy Member

15. Lord Tim

$195 for general admission? Nope! :err:

16. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Take it everyone is pretty much Moffet helming Dr Who, since no one has mentioned that it starts again on Sunday.

17. Lord Tim

Yeah. I mean, I'm keen for it and will definitely watch, but Kill The Moon and Forest Of The Night have left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. So long as there's actually good stories that make sense rather than "OMG TEH DOCTUR LIES LOL BUT IT WAS TIEM TRAVUL AND HE WNT BACK IN TIME AND IT NEVA HAPPEND ROFLD LMAO" like a lot of the last 5 years have been, I'll be happy.

The trailers look fantastic, so fingers crossed hey?

18. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah - I'll be watching. High hopes, low expectations I guess would sum up my opinion.

But, lets wait and see :)

19. Nitephyre

This... I like Peter, but I think he needs darker stories, not fairy floss crap.

20. cowboy

cowboy Member

It was not the worst episode of a tv show I've ever seen.

Will leave my thoughts at that until I know others have watched it :)