This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Huh... that actually wasn't bad at all, save for a few dumb parts and what I think is gonna turn into another Timey Wimey No Consequences second part, which will likely shit me to tears. But there was a lot of good in that episode. I'd rate it a 7 and chat more about it when I know we've all caught up. :)

2. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

What pissed me off the most was that there was some true moments of greatest in the episode -such as the terror of the Hand Mines. Some really clever ideas & notions but so much of it wasted with the usual Moffat wankery & logic flaws plus his love of rewriting (read: destroying) everything that Davis did.

Hopefully the 2nd part won't undo the good that the episode set up with the usual Moffat fuckery.

3. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore/Andy's ManSWOS

Y'know, the moment kiddo said his name, I groaned... I don't think the reaction was what they wanted :p I am a fan of his awesome Dad Jokes though :D

4. cowboy

cowboy Member

HAHAHA - yes the dad jokes were awesome. And snake dude was pretty cool too.

And its spoilery I guess but I'm sure we're all caught up by now, but I like Missy not being dead. Some great zingers, and her quirkiness is just perfect :)

Also loved the footage of Tom Baker. ALWAYS have a soft spot for the scarf-wearing doctor I grew up with :)

5. Shadow298

OK, since time has passed.

What I hated: How'd the Dr know Missy was still alive? How'd Davros survive his last death? Those stupid human Dalek things, that just ruins the whole idea of Daleks being out & out destroyers. They don't do subterfuge or sneakery because they already established that is below them. What happened to the mutli-coloured daleks from a few seasons ago that they made such a huge deal about bringing in?

What I liked: Capaldi actually playing the guitar (he was in a band with Craig Furgerson back in Scotland), Capaldi actually being given a chance to show his acting range.

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah good point. Now that you mention it, that dalek human thing was very out of place....

Going to watch part two shortly with the family. Actually looking forward to it for a change :p

7. cowboy

cowboy Member

Interesting. Very interesting.

8. Nitephyre

Well... that was Meh.

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

One good thing about that episode - he didn't have much to work with, but Capaldi acted his socks off I thought!

Also, Missy was again awesome.

10. Lord Tim

Missy tended to grate on me a little, to be honest.

Davros... fuck yeah. Julian Bleech is perfect for the part. There was traces of both Michael Wisher and Terry Malloy in there, with a dark Emperor Palpatine vibe. Awesome!

There was a lot to like in this episode, and I actually quite enjoyed it, and it made part 1 rate a bit higher in context too. But sonic shades? Silly time travel gags? (Once again, Moffat has confused Curse Of The Fatal Death as actual drama and made it into the proper show). And the conclusion was a bit underwhelming.

But I'd rate that and the first part (which wasn't as good as this one for me) as better than most things in the last couple of years, a few stand out episodes aside.

Capaldi keeps getting better and better, so hopefully the scripts will too... Although I've seen spoiler free reviews that cast a bit of shadow on that in the next episode. :bah:

11. Shadow298

I genuinely raged at some of the inconsistencies & contradictions in the episode -especially with Davros saying that the Daleks have a genetic disposition to protect him.
    the whole, morality in the genes things pissed me off but that's a constant in all media for pissing me off.

Julian Bleech was fucking amazing as Darvos. Really got things right in his tone & emotion but him having his own eyes pissed me off because as started in the Genesis of the Daleks, Darvos was born mutated & deformed due to the extreme radiation of Skaro (also why younger Davros annoyed me).

Moffat's great fault still lies in that he half tells stories. He writes like you've missed important information and background but then doesn't present it at all. It comes off as lazy & disjointed. Yes, it's hard to establish stuff in such a short time but it's harder to accept Moffat's bullshit that he throws up & expects us to say "yeah, I'll suspend my disbelief for that for no reason".

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

Another not-terrible episode. Whats going on??!!?? :p

13. Shadow298

I like the fact that they took the time to build up to things, like they used to way back when, & didn't try to force a stupid resolution.

Unfortunately, it meant that they insulted out intelligence a bit with what was causing the "ghosts" to manifest.

could've done with a lot more tension & slow burn to get the horror building, more so for the cliff hanger reveal at the end.

14. Lord Tim

Yeah, that wasn't bad. A little slow in places but I do like they're giving it time to breathe, and this is classic "base under siege" Doctor Who. And yes, agree - hopefully it won't all turn into "I died but hey timey wimey wibbly wobbly bribed the architect and here I am alive after all and no one died and there's no consequences!! HOORAY!" at the end to resolve it.

15. Nitephyre

Yeah, it wasn't bad... though more intriguing is that it's the second two-parter in a row... are we going to get a more serialised season? I liked that about Old Who.

16. cowboy

cowboy Member

17. Lord Tim

Looks like a Sarah Jane Adventures thing, which I'm all for - I was preferring that to the main show in a lot of cases, but I suspect that was more RTD / Phil Ford that was making it so good. Hopefully this is also good. :)

18. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah thoroughly enjoyed Sarah Jane (RIP).

Hoping it is as enjoyable! All will come down to the casting and the scripts of course.

19. cowboy

cowboy Member

20. Lord Tim

Second part of last week's episode: dumb and lazy and reminiscent of the worst of 70s Who.

More gags and 4th wall breaking than useful story. Move along...