This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Makes sense - can definitely see the kids show vs adult drama conflict at times.

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

OK, that was pretty good! A couple of clunky moments here and there but I'd rate that as one of the best Capaldi episodes yet. That speech.... masterful! And Murray's music came in just at the right point to really up the emotion of it all. Awesome!

So next week... Mark Gatiss. :err: The trailer looked good though, so you never know? He might do something interesting?

3. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

It was alright. Speech was decent enough though why Un-Clara chose to look like an Osgood maketh no sense to me... oh well.

I agree they just need to finally decide that it IS an "adult" show. Kids these days are different from the kids 50yrs ago that now run the majority of things :/

4. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

BBC's basic issue with shows "past the watershed" (whatever that actually means) is that they see kids shows as revenue generating & loyalty seeding whereas "adult" shows have limited lifespans & different budget factoring.

the BBC board has always had a love/hate thing with Doctor Who (& Sci-fi in general) & many of their members want to see Beebs refocus on classic dramas & adaptations for their adult timeslots because they think it will generate the most viewers. Whereas as generationally liminal shows like Dr Who you can place on at an earlier time on a weekend because you get crossover audience but at the same time they think it drains too much of their production budget, so they trim back on Dr Who every year and then pre-empt with money spinners like Dancing With the Stars because they desire rating against ITV over long term investment.

All arsebackwards really.

5. Nitephyre

Yeah, I know they've always hated Doctor Who which is funny considering aside from Top Gear, it probably had made them stacks of cash but mostly recognition. Stupid morons in suits ruin so much shit in life :)

6. Shadow298

It's pretty much why the 6th Doctor's series was weird, with that random cut before the end of a storyline to go straight to the "Trail of the Time Lord" with the Valiyard.

7. cowboy

cowboy Member

After travelling for work for a few weeks I'm all caught up now. The latest two parter had some good moments - the doctor's speech, and some of the Clara vs Clara stuff was quite well done too.

And hearing a Lethbridge-Stewart utter the words "five rounds rapid" brought a smile to my face :D

8. Shadow298

Tonight's episode was one big pile of "meh".

Gatiss is good at coming up with interesting concepts but he always seems to ruin it in execution. Flat characters, useless found footage & no real resolution left it all "bleh" in my view.

9. Lord Tim

Looking at the official forums, this is either "OMG BEST MARK GATISS HOORAY" or "what the fuck was that shit?"

I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but going by his track record so far, I'm expecting I'm going to agree with the latter, sadly. :err:

10. Lord Tim

Watched it.

Fuck off, Gatiss. That was shit. Next.

11. Nitephyre

I'm with Tim... eugh.

12. Shadow298

Again: good ideas swarthed in bullshit & wasted words.

Getting sick of Me/Eshielda because the acting for her is so poor & the character so thin.

What happens to Clara is so anti-climatic & pointless. No emotion. No importance. No reason.

13. Lord Tim

Yeah, longest ending since The End of Time Pt.2 :smug:

I rated this fairly well overall but you know that Clara will be back (at least for this year - she's definitely leaving at the end of this season), and how she left was pretty meh so it didn't really carry much weight for me.

14. Nitephyre

Well, she took a long time to "die".

15. Shadow298

Why should the audience get worked up about Clara dying when we've already seen it happen twice before?

16. Shadow298

Tonight's episode was simultaneously good, predictable & disappointing.

Guessed what would be happening from the first moment & the rest of the episode slowly confirmed it.

the main strength was Capaldi in a vacuum, really showing his chops, but it was lessened by the constant addressing the camera (a fault the entire session has had) & his internal monologues inside of his mind/TARDIS.

17. Shadow298

18. Lord Tim

I disagree on a few points in there but mostly that's spot on and well written. Nicely done!

RE: Heaven Sent - yeah, I thought that was odd. It seemed to drag and drag in places but it was an interesting enough idea that it still kept you wanting to see what would come next. The end, even though it was a bit predictable, was great. I won't spoil the very ending for those who haven't seen it, but that made me smile. Keen for next week! :)

19. Shadow298

Cheers for that.
    It's an opinion piece (backed up by a little fact) so it's meant to be disagreed with for the most part. It's how debate happens.

I know what you mean by having it drag. They could've done a lot more to streamline it, avoid repeating information but the ending worked well. Mainly because of the orchestral score (which always works so well). The final bit was a long long time coming, so want to see how it pans out.

20. Lord Tim

That said too, if they actually made an effort to incorporate it into an arc like they hinted at doing on 11's last episode when he regenerated, it would have been 10x more satisfying. This is good but it feels almost like an afterthought, which is typical Moffat showrunning.

Still keen for next week though!