This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Does having the "metal" look really matter if you listen to good bands?

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by SpockIsLife, Oct 19, 2015.

1. SpockIsLife

SpockIsLife New Metal Member

Honestly, I dress kind of trendy, but I listen to some good music like Destruction, Anthrax, Rings of Saturn, Celtic Frost, Cannibal Corpse. I hear some people say it's kind of poserish to listen to those bands when I don't have the look. What do you guys think?

2. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Melted by feels

Clothing style doesn't matter. It helps 100% identify that you like that type of music without evening having to ask you directly, but it isn't necessary.

Live long and prosper.

3. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

You're a poser for liking Rings of Saturn. ;)

But really it doesn't matter much. Seems like silly teenager stuff. Plenty of normal people like metal. Plenty of borderline psychos like metal. I know I keep saying it but metal music is NOT some big brotherhood. It's silly to think you have to dress or look or act a certain way to like something.

Plenty of skinheads like black metal, doesn't mean you have to prove whether you're Nazi or nice if you also like it.

4. Belac

Belac Flesh To Steel

I don't dress in any particular way, I have a very plain sense of fashion. Simple shirt, regular jeans. I have had short hair for many years now and I have no tattoos or piercings.

It does change how people identify me though. People often seem surprised when I tell them I listen to a lot of Death Metal and Black Metal. They are in even more disbelief when I tell them I do vocals for Death metal oriented bands.

In a way it would be easier to look the part rather than have to explain over and over "yes I listen to a metal, yes that is indeed my voice in that song" . You wouldn't believe how many times I have been asked to do a death growl on the spot because they think the whole situation is crazy.

In short, my life might be slightly less annoying if people didn't think I listen to rap or Kanye West like the rest of them. I should start wearing band shirts at all times instead of just concerts :p

5. The Ozzman

This happens to me all the time if people don't know me very well.

6. Master_Yoda77

Master_Yoda77 True Doom

Bunch of poseurs in here.

Image is all. Don't even listen to the music, just make sure you look the part.

7. Serjeant Grumbles

It doesn't matter unless you care about looking good.

8. alex76

alex76 Please enter a value using 50 characters or fewer.

Tell your "some people" that they don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

9. -CC-

-CC- Something in My Eye

Gotta stay trve man.

10. tagradh

tagradh Active Member

People that don't look good with long hair or wearing 'metal attire' trying to pull it off look pretty daft.

I doubt you could tell that most of my friends liked extreme music by looking at them.

11. Pitiless Wanderer

Pitiless Wanderer Active Member

I wore an Omnium Gatherum shirt last night. Probably the first time in years I've worn any band apparel. Doesn't matter at all.

12. Draehl

Draehl Lurker

Many 'normal' looking folks on this forum have far better taste and knowledge in metal than probably 95% of tattooed hooligans out there. Just sayin'

BTW I cut all my hair off today for an upcoming (in house) business analyst interview. Successfully removing myself from any and all customer contact > looking metal.

13. The Ozzman

I yearn for the day I don't have to email anyone or call anyone for work purposes outside of the main building.

14. Master_Yoda77

Master_Yoda77 True Doom

Dudes, I fucking saw this random ass hard rock/heavy metal group called Crowhaven and the vocalist had dark blue sweatpants on and a tucked in Pink Floyd shirt on. Nobody gave a single fuck and he certainly didn't give one fuck either.

It was awesome.

15. CF87

CF87 Active Member

I've been listening to underground death metal for years and don't dress metal at all. I do like darker shirts sometimes or skulls and things. Rot/decay,warped etc... I'm wearing a black star wars darth vader shirt right now. Actually I do have a Ghost T-Shirt.

16. AllShallFall

AllShallFall Senior Member

I pretty much only wear band shirts. Not to be "trve" or anything. I wear them because that's I want to wear.

17. Manic Ferocity

Manic Ferocity Active Member

I can't say that I care how anyone else dresses but I'm not embarrassed to be a metalhead.

18. Omni

Omni User

Rob Halford is gay and Judas Priest has many songs that have explicitly gay lyrics. Judas Priest also wears leather and spikes that were inspired by gay fashion.

Guys, there might be other gay people out there making metal music. We need to stop listening to it immediately so we don't become gay.

19. MetalliFio

MetalliFio Member

I am still wearing a black t-shirt with a band's name, trying to wear the band I am going to see t-shirt, but if I haven't got one, I am wearing another one, with jeans or eventually legging :headbang:

Personally, I think that the outfit isn't that important, as soon you feel like a metal fan inside your heart :kickass:

20. Dak

Dak mentat

Happens to me also. I usually don't bring it up because SWPLs don't respond well.