This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Does Joey ever use a bottom snare mic?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Backe, May 19, 2011.

1. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Yeah, there's a couple other tricks I do to simulate room mics, including this one.

-The 'mic the monitors' trick
    -Send pre-fader to a room verb
    -Send pre-fader to an impulse of a room.
    -Trigger Slate/Superior room samples and use that as your room 'mic.'

I will also say the other benefit of the 'mic the monitors' trick is that when you do it POST editing, you get zero issues with the kick drum maybe having to be edited separately from the rest of the kit and not being in phase with the room mics. That way, you can have the rooms as loud as you want in the mix without worrying about flamming.

2. Backe

Backe Space Cowboy

What mics do you use/recommend for micing monitors?

3. OneDaySky

OneDaySky Clint

Jeff....your tips are golden man! :headbang:

4. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

The kinds with diaphragms? Seriously, anything.

I'm a poor fuck so I throw my NT5 pair back up on rooms as well as using them for OH's in the first place. I've also had awesome results placing an SM58 near the floor or a 57 facing the back corner of the furthest wall.

With rooms, it's all about adding some dirtiness and ambience to the sound. Doesn't sound good eq'd a bit and blended with the original signal as an ambience mic? Crush it to hell and back with an 1176, run it through an amp sim for distortion, convert it to a single-note MIDI file and change the notes to trigger a banjo synth in time with the song. Fucking anything. Really - just get some life that the close mics don't offer back in there and you're golden.

5. SharkGTS

SharkGTS Member

Look at getting a Behringer ADAT ADA8000 - 8 inputs, with phantom power for like $150 plugs right into the back of the RME FF800 using Adat cable. Gave me like 12 mic pre's total + the extra ins - i run the non super criticals through there the toms anything that is augmented (snare, kick "trigger" tracks). It's a good sounding unit tho.

I like a bottom snare mic nice to have lot's of snap there if you want it.