This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dream Theatre

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Russell, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Russell

Russell __

I just got scenes drawn from a memory and I like it, so is it their best? Do you like dislike them? Why?

2. Elisstar

Elisstar Member

I like Dream Theater quite a lot. Scenes From a Memory is good, but if you like that, you should check out Images and Words and Awake (my personal favorite). My favorite part of Dream Theater is not their technicality. They are ridiculously skilled musicians, but I think their lyrics and compositions are usually their best feature. Lyrically, Awake is a very dark album, and I got into it at a time when I could relate to much of the lyrics (Lie and Space Die Vest especially).

3. Anthony

Anthony criminal

All I heard by Dream Theatre is one ballad - "Awake the Silent Man"(?). I liked it, but it sounds too calm and happy. If they have any gloomy stuff, I'd like to listen to it.

4. Elisstar

Elisstar Member

You're referring to "Silent Man" from Awake. Awake is by far their darkest album, I think Kevin Moore was having problems with a girlfriend or something when some of those lyrics/music were written. Some quite angry stuff. Also, Space Die Vest is a very distraught tune. But I'm afraid if you are looking for dark and gloomy stuff...you better stick with doom metal, because Dream Theater isn't it.

5. Anthony

Anthony criminal

Man, as I wrote everywhere already, I'm doomster. And I've seen you at doom-metal.com. It's sad (for me) that DT has not stuff gloomier than "Awake".

6. Elisstar

Elisstar Member

I know what you mean. I love dark, gloomy music, and I don't think there is enough good doom metal out there. It's such a small genre, overall. I know you're a doomster :) I am too!

Yeah, unfortunately the genre Dream Theater falls into doesn't get very dark usually. Probably the most dark, gloomy band in that so-called prog/metal genre is Evergrey, from Sweden. They are very good, I highly recommend them if you like more traditional sounding metal with keyboards and a dark edge.

7. Anthony

Anthony criminal

Thank you, I've heard about EVERGREY, but never heard their music. I'll try to find.

8. Russell

Russell __

Yeah u listen to the guitars and its like...... How the hell do you do that. Does their guitarist have like 10 fingers on on hand? I really like the concept behind scenes from a memory, a very good, origonal idea

9. Hawk

Hawk Henri Serton
    Staff Member

Then you should try Liquid Tension Experiment!!
    I would recommend LTE2 its fantastic instrumental prog metal gone wild. :eek:

10. Russell

Russell __

Thanx :) I will do if i get the chance :)