This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Drum Overheads - 2 Mid-Range SDCs vs 2 Upper-End LDCs?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by MatrixClaw, Jun 10, 2012.

1. MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw Member

Alright, so I need to buy some new overheads, since bands are wanting to track live drums lately and I sold my OHs a few months ago to upgrade other things, since I wasn't using them much. My question to you is, since I already have one pretty good LDC, would you rather:

A) Buy a pair of Oktava MK012s/Rode NT-5s, or
    B) Buy a second Shure KSM44 (my current vocal condenser), and use both as OHs?

I've really only used SDCs as overheads and I don't have too big of a budget right now to get a really good set of them. I've owned the Oktavas in the past, and they give good results, but I feel like a pair of higher end LDCs might be a better route, though I've never tracked overheads with an LDC (aside from just placing one in a room to record ideas, but not really to use it on a real recording).

What do you guys think? The pair of SDCs will end up costing a bit less than a used KSM44, so the price difference isn't going to be too huge.

2. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

I'd go for the better quality LDC. It'll be a bit different than an SDC on OHs and could work out better if you do more than metal, but at worst you'll have to do a bit more filtering of the low end/boosting top end to get cymbal clarity out since I find LDCs to let in more of the kit.

If you eventually do want to get a pair of SDCs, a pair of LDCs on room is a beautiful thing for just about any instrument.

3. metalfanat1c

metalfanat1c Member

I fucking love NT-5s on OHs. YMMV.

4. vespiz

vespiz Mixing!

+1

5. MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw Member

Cool, that's what I was leaning towards. I wanted to do this with a pair of C414s, but I hadn't seen any at a decent price when I was looking before, and people seem to have pretty mixed opinions on them for vocals, which is what I needed an LDC for mainly.

SDCs have always worked nicely for me, but the ones I really want, I can't afford right now (Beyer MC930), and I figured I could at least make use of a second LDC as room mics later at some point. However, I usually mic acoustic with an SDC and an LDC - How would I fair with two LDCs, instead?