This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

Drummers: check this out

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Satori, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Satori

Satori Destructosaur

2. Satori

Satori Destructosaur

Here's something I wrote about this on another forum:

Hmm... interesting concept. I'd have to try it to be convinced, but it seems pretty cool if you happen to be good at playing it like the guy in the videos is.

It's too bad they didn't have a video of two of them going at once, that would be wild.

And what's up with that triple beater thing? I don't get it. I mean, I get it, but if you have a duellist on your right foot, why would you even want to have a single on the other foot? Seems a little redundant. Another duelliest would make more sense. But I suppose it has it's application.

I like the speedswitch thing though.

Seems to me that since the left stroke is powered by the stored energy of the down push, then when the pedal is in dual mode then pressing down on the pedal should be about twice as hard (enough energy for two strokes). For this reason, imo, a guy who is really quick as doing single strokes with his right foot would not necessarialy be able to double that speed with a duellist. But with two duellists, that would be just insanely fast. If I start hearing new extreme metal players playing "buzz rolls" their bass drums then I'm going to suspect they are using such a device.

With two of them the potential is just crazy. Imagine doing pretty slow and easy 16th notes @ 120 bmp (with both feet) and that would be like doing 16ths @240 bmp on 2 duellists, which is just insanely quick. I would think that doing that at about 144 bmp or something, which is still not that fast for the feet, would result in notes so close together it would sound like a buzz roll, or just a humming. I wouldn't be surprised if extreme metal guys started using this pedal to get an edge, but they might get flack for "cheating". I guess it is cheating kinda, but who cares? If it works as good as they claim, or even nearly as good, then not taking advantage of the technology, if you were so inclined to want that kind of speed and flexibility (like exteme metal players) would be a bit silly, kinda like someone who doesn't want to stop using cassettes or something, heheh. But then, a lot of guys out there are already so good with their regular pedals that they have no need to seek any to help them get any better. And at this point I'm just babbling like an idiot so I'll shut up now, heheh [​IMG]

rock on dudes.

3. HaloX

HaloX scooter's Roofin'

Im not a drummer and I want one!

4. L0bster

L0bster OneTwo!

If I could play it like in those vids, I'd love it.

5. Black_paragon

Black_paragon all moths must DIE

Well, the guy in the video certainly seems able to use it well. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole however.

Maybe mike portnoy could have five of them..........

6. Post_Scriptum

Post_Scriptum Member

can you imagine the speed of double bassing you could get with these?

7. ScorpionShard

ScorpionShard Drunk Bucaneer

lives in NY, would like to live back home in the g
    It would be something along the lines of quadruple-bassing or something :) Imagine Horgh [Immortal] with two of these... --droolness--

8. The Sound Gardener

The Sound Gardener Let's Go Ride Bikes!!

That's pretty crazy. It'd be nice to have one (or two) of those.

9. Eno_Mun

Eno_Mun Grump

seems like cheating

10. flawrence1

flawrence1 Member

gimmick. great invention but i don't think any pro will touch it. Notice that he only plays one tempo with the doubling. I'm afraid that it can't be used at other or higher speeds...otherwise they'd show it off. He didn't even attain a speed that a novice drummer couldn't produce with the 'dualist.' And all his 'triplets' were not...more like 3 16ths with the 4th a rest. I don't believe it can do real triplets. The 2nd beater always sounds weak too, something you never want to hear. It also looks like they put some tape under the main beater but not the 2nd one to even the sound out. worse..they want $599 for it!

11. rhdrums

rhdrums boxed lunch

it's commonly called the cheater beater by drummers everywhere

12. Satori

Satori Destructosaur

haha cheater beater ;) it is cheating, but who cares?

To those of you who said you wouldn't try it, or that it looks complicated - it's probably not. All it takes is a little practice to get the hang of it. After I saw those videos I start tapping my right foot under my desk here at work, pretending I was play some single stroke stuff, and then kicking the left switch to go into double mode and then back into single, it seemed really bizarre at first and then after about 1 minute it started to feel really natural. A lot of stuff with drums is like that. Once you teach your limb the motion, it remembers it. I've noticed that a lot of guys give up on something without even trying, they assume it's too hard for them at this point. Meh, if they'd only try it,they would see it's not as hard as they think. That how I feel anyway.

I was thinking a bit more about what i said above there about 2 duellists, and I retract it all, I think it would suck. The reason is cuz if you played 2 duellists, going like R L R L ... (16th notes or whatever) then as you raise your right foot and lower your left, the R upstroke and the L downstroke would strike at the same time, which is useless and stupid. So I think that's why they didn't show 2 duellists together in action on the videos. It doesn't work. To get it work you have to so some bizarre off beat flange type of thing with your feet, or play a slightly sooner 32ond note with the left downstroke, and that's just incredibly hard and stupid.

So it seems to me this pedal is only good as a single pedal. 2 of them is useless.

Personally, I've take to doing double bass by doing something called a quad roll. That involves play double strokes with each foot, as in RRLLRRLL. It's a fast way to be able to play really quick strokes without having to spend years training. Each foot does a heel-toe technique to create the double stroke. I think it's awesome, and I'm way way faster with this method than I ever was playing single strokes. Anyway, rock on ;)

/drum rant off

13. Satori

Satori Destructosaur

What's Immortal like? I've heard good things about them. Are they pretty proggy/technical?

I've recently been getting into Dimmu so I think I might like some Immortal. Any suggestions or comments? thanks :)

14. Heliologue

Heliologue neologist

nah, i wouldn't call immortal proggy. maybe technical, in a cheesy, archetypical black metal way.

and most immortal fans would call dimmu borgir a travesty.

15. Static

Static Manically depressed robot

The thing is, Immortal really doesn't sound much tr00er than Dimmu to me, sound wise. Weird that people don't mock Immortal too.

16. ScorpionShard

ScorpionShard Drunk Bucaneer

lives in NY, would like to live back home in the g
    "archetypical black metal way" is the best I heard of Immortal's descriptions. They are no less cheesy than any other brutal black group in the market, and they're one of the best. They dont use keyboards, and the music is "straight" most of the time, meaning that there are not a lot of solos, this and that, it's mostly brutal and fast. You might like it, if you like, say, Behemoth. Dimmu is a travesty yes, just like Cradle of Filth is IMHO.

Try Immortal out, if you like it, you'll be hooked for a long time.